Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Fates Chance

Names

How do u think square enix chooses their character names? I mean, sora Riku kairi, ven terra aqua and xion all have explanations and meanings behind the names. I mean where do they get axel Roxas hayner pence olette all these names? Do they have some special meaning in the japanes version and it got translated to an English name with no similar meaning to what was intended?

Sora means in Japanese sky, Riku means land and the Kai part in Kairi means sea.

Ventus means in Latin wind, Terra means earth and Aqua means water.

Names such as Axel, Roxas and Xion are anagrams plus an X of their somebodies names.

Example: Roxas - X = Sora.

Where names such Pence and Hayner comes from, I don't know, the characters just need names.

Was this kind of the answer you were looking for?

As JTD95 said, the names Kairi, Sora, Riku, Aqua, Ven and Terra all have something to do with water, wind and earth. The name Roxas, is a mixture of a few words in Latin meaning something like Wild Wind I suppose. There's a better phrase than that, I just can't think of it. Anyway, it's supposed to represent his ties with Sora and the fact that he leaves the Organization. Axel means the one who follows his heart, ironically enough.

Hayner's a bit different. It means hedge, basically, or it can mean living on an enclosed piece of land.

Olette means small winged one.

Pence means worker. None of these names really do a lot to describe the characters. Maybe Olette's name will, further on in the game, but I think they're just names that people liked and gave them to these three characters.

All nobodie names have an X inside like JTD95 said roxas-x=sora logically roxas means sky but with sufferd letters

ven = wind

terra = earth

aqua = water

AS for heyner,pence and ollette

organisation members names are anagrams from their original names + x-letter in them.

vanitas is latin and means emptiness.

xehanort is anagram from another and no heart + x-letter.

Where'd u find hayner pence and olettes nae meanings? I looked on a ton of baby name sites and didnt find any of them. And every time I looked up axels name it was bringer of peace or divine.

I know how they got their names, like I know all that anagram and stuff for sora Riku ect. I meant like do their names mean anything? Is there a reason they were named this or not.

Names are a specialty of mine. I have a lot of books on Etymology, which is the study of names and their meanings and such, so I looked through it and found Axel, Hayner, Pence and Olette in it. Pence was a tricky one though. It took me ages to find.