Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Shulk

About the Reactions to the Smash Presentation...

Before I get started here: This is not like the other rant threads that have come up on here. No, not at all. Instead... I'm going to address the complaints people are making about the presentation. In other words, I guess this is a counter to the rants that other people have brought up. So, I guess I'll start... If I'm lucky, I'll make it out of this with at least two of my limbs attached.

Okay, so we're all familiar with the recent Smash news. Corrin is the final character chosen by Sakurai himself, and Bayonetta is the ballot winner. I don't need to go further than that. I'm also sure that we're all aware of the... negative responses that have been made as a result of this news. People stating that the ballot was rigged so Bayonetta would win. People complaining about Corrin being yet another Fire Emblem character, with some people even stating that he'll be another Marth clone, something that's absolutely ridiculous if you watch the actual trailer. People are complaining about how Ridley, K. Rool, Shantae, Sora, and others didn't make it into Smash. If anything, they're acting like they deserve to have their vote be the winning one. Well... surprise, but that's not how this works.

The ballot wasn't an "anything goes" type of event. As Sakurai even stated in this presentation, he had to stick to requests that were reasonable. In other words, characters he could get the rights to include. All sorts of other factors likely played into this, too. I'm also sure that he wanted to choose a character who he felt he could give an interesting moveset. In the end, Bayonetta was the best choice, and one who he could get the rights to include. It was never stated from the beginning that a lot of characters would be included. This was a very special event, and everyone should have understood that their character might not make it in. However, this isn't an excuse to act like an immature child just because your character didn't make it. Acting mature about it is the proper way to go. Complaining about what you don't get isn't going to help anywhere, it just comes off as immature, and honestly, a little selfish.

Now, I'm sure that I'll get something like this: "Easy for you to say, you probably got a character you really wanted as DLC!" Ha, no. None of my top choices for newcomers made it. However, this doesn't mean I'll write off these new characters simply for not being the one I voted for. Both Corrin and Bayonetta look like fantastic additions to Smash's character selection. In fact, on that subject, let's take a look at the characters: There are 58 playable fighters in total. There's an incredible amount of diversity in the lineup, and there's a character for everyone. If you're complaining about one more character not being added to this roster (Which, I'll add, isn't half-filled with clones), that's kind of sad. I mean, sure, you might be a little upset about the character not being included. Would I have liked to see my vote be the one to make it in? Of course I would. However, that doesn't mean you can go up in arms and act like it's a crime that your vote didn't make it.

Honestly, Sakurai pours his heart into these games. He spends a lot of time working on new characters and trying to find what he believes would be best for the series. In the end, all he gets are complaints from "fans" who can't stand to have anything not go their way. It's absolutely pathetic, and it sickens me to see so many people treat a dedicated and loving developer like complete trash. So what if you didn't get who you wanted? That's no excuse to belittle the work of Sakurai. I honestly can't think of a developer as devoted to their career as he is, and in the end, so few people actually appreciate what he does. It's really sad to see people ignore these new characters' merits and view them as bad simply because they're not K. Rool, Sora, or others. It's really immature to blame Sakurai as though he's done something wrong. You don't like these characters? Guess what? They're optional DLC, there's no need to buy them. Don't ruin it for those of us who are excited to see Sakurai take an unexpected turn with his series.

Absolutely

The ballot was more like a suggestion box and they did emphasize that not everyone from the ballot would make it to the game

I didn't get Shantae despite voting for her all year but I'm not that sad

Sure people can complain but there is a difference between rational complaining and going apeshit and acting like an immature shitwad towards the guy who worked his ass to death just we can get the dream match ups we got coming true

I honest to god don't understand the overreaction and the amount of salt poured from this...............Like dude I didn't get my character yet you don't see me flipping over it

Besides,we all know that there will be another Smash game for the NX so.......there is always next time

I'm not upset over Sora not getting in. I'm more dissatisfied by how yet another Fire Emblem character is taking up the last spot on the roster when someone else from that ballot behind Bayonetta could have easily taken it. I really would have liked to have known who was close behind, and it doesn't seem like they care to show the official results of the poll beyond confirming Bayonetta. But honestly as far as dlc goes, I would have been fine with anyone other than another FE character.

I think part of the negative reaction comes from the idea that some fans don't really understand how this "fan input" thing works.

Yes, you're given the freedom to choose who you want but a) you need to follow some guidelines because the developers can't just put in whoever the Hell possible (i.e Goku, Batman, Sora, the Trix Rabbit, etc.) and b) at the end of the day, no one is going to get exactly what they want.

It's one thing to disagree with the choices. You are allowed to do that and you are also allowed not to spend money downloading the new characters. But if you're going into this thinking that your choice is the only choice, barring whatever reason or rhyme or simply by not getting enough support behind it, there is no way to feel other than disappointed.

Now, I'm not saying this to discourage any form of creativity or service to a fanbase. I'm just saying: at some point, you just have to move on and deal with it.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

Why does it matter if it's just another Fire Emblem character? Corrin's a unique character, and that's what counts. Sakurai really turned around the typical complaints about FE characters with this entry, and that's a good thing. People ignore it, though. With a game with as much of a diverse cast as Fire Emblem, you can't blame him for including a lot of characters from the series.

When you get down to it not everyone is going to be on board with the idea. I love that Cloud is in this but you can bet your bottom dollar that there are a bunch of people whining about him getting put in as opposed to anyone else they may have been interested in. If you like Corrin that's fine, but I stand by what I say and nothing's going to change how I feel about the decision unless I decide to. I'm sure he's a fine character, but I still think this decision wasn't the best one, and that's just how it is. Can't win everyone over, sometimes you just got to accept that not everyone is on board (or at least not for the same reasons you are) and just move on.

I'll admit, I was a little "salty" at first that Sora didn't make it in, but that's okay. I moved on in a few hours, mainly because it wasn't that disappointed and at the end of the day, it's just a game. No big deal that a character I wanted didn't make it in. I can't do anything about it, not even beg Sakurai. There are plenty of other great characters to play as. Plus, there is always Smash Bros NX, considering they go on with the tradition of one Smash Bros per Nintendo console and Cloud is a character I never thought I'd want to join. So with him in Smash, I'm satisfied, even though Sora wasn't selected. There are people who didn't get what they wanted like you and me, but I'm happy for those who did get what they want. Even though I'm not a fan of the series, I'm actually looking forward to Bayonetta's release.

Well said. I completely agree. The amount of salt from the community is ridiculous.

Admittedly, I was one of the few that did not want K.Rool, Shovel Knight or Wolf to make a return. Even before the presentation started I was saying to one of my friends "you know what if Sakurai just pulls someone completely out of nowhere and surprises us all?"  Then boom they open with Corrin. He looks really great and I can't wait to try him out. I know Corrin is yet another Fire Emblem character, but as a Marth player I'm always that little bit anxious when a new Smash game comes out that he won't be added in (mostly because the vocal part of the Smash community love Roy or Ike). Corrin looks great and plays so differently from Marth, Ike or Robin. It's such a shame that people are complaining that he'll be the 6th Fire Emblem character. Fire Emblem owes a lot of its success to Smash Bros and it pleases me to know that Sakurai is a fan of the series because it means I get to enjoy playing as these characters.

On the note that Smash "fans" feel they need to have their say, did they all forget that Mewtwo, Roy and Lucas were added because of the complaining they did? We got 7 DLC characters and 4 of which were because of the fans, actually 5 if you count Cloud based on Sakurai's words.

I was disappointed that Isaac didn't get put in mostly because I really wanted him, am I going to complain about Corrin and Bayonetta? Hell no. I've never played Bayonetta outside of the demo for 2, but my girlfriend was so happy when Bayonetta was revealed that I was happy for her. She gets to play as a character she really likes in a game like Smash and that is brilliant. The roster is so diverse that there is something for everyone, personally I play as Marth, Shulk, Jigglypuff and Ness, all of which are very different from each other. That is the beauty of Smash, we get this glorious line-up of characters and just have fun. Sakurai and his team delivered an amazing game and for that I'm really happy.

How can anyone be salty when you can have a match-up like this in one game: Mario vs Sonic vs Mega Man vs Pac Man vs Cloud vs Link vs Ryu vs Bayonetta. That's the stuff of dreams for a lot of people.

I really hope Isaac joins the battle next time... :P

I'm bumbed out that the character I voted for didn't get in, but I don't really think it's a big deal. I love Smash either way, and I'm happy that Bayonetta won because at least she's a character I like and I know about even though I only ever played a demo of her game. If I do get a Wii-U and Smash, I'll definitely main her and Cloud.

I think Sakurai is a really cool person, and I'll never disrespect him just because the character I want doesn't get in. I know Sakurai and the Smash team bust their asses to make the game. Either way, I'm not upset about it at all. I'm just a little like bumbed out because I really got overhyped yesterday which was my fault. I was expecting more, but that was just me. I think overall the direct was cool even if I did find it a tad bit underwhelming. I may not get Smash because I don't have a Wii-U and I might just wait for NX, but until then I'll be rooting for my character vote to get in as well as everyone else's character vote. Either way, Sakurai is still awesome and Smash is still awesome.

I'm NOT mad. I'm not even complaining, I'm just a tad upset because none of the characters I've voted for made it into smash. I feel happy for the people who got the character that they wanted in smash. The truth is, I can't do anything about the ballot and people need to realize that's life. I've moved on and looking forward to games that are going to release in 2016 and I'm sure they'll eventually move on too. 

While I won't deny that there is an over reaction among some people, as there always shall be, I don't think it's a crime against humanity for people to not like the added characters. Yes, it's not the end of the world, but if given the choice between having characters who I actually care about getting in versus some that I have no interest in, than naturally I'm not going to be ecstatic about the latter option being chosen over the former. It's an unfortunate fact that when some of the fanbase wins, some of the fanbase also loses, and although its natural to want them to lose with grace, I don't think it's fair that everyone expects them to just be A-okay with losing out on what shall likely be their last chance in a long time to get one of their favs into Smash.

While I won't deny that there is an over reaction among some people, as there always shall be, I don't think it's a crime against humanity for people to not like the added characters. Yes, it's not the end of the world, but if given the choice between having characters who I actually care about getting in versus some that I have no interest in, than naturally I'm not going to be ecstatic about the latter option being chosen over the former. It's an unfortunate fact that when some of the fanbase wins, some of the fanbase also loses, and although its natural to want them to lose with grace, I don't think it's fair that everyone expects them to just be A-okay with losing out on what shall likely be their last chance in a long time to get one of their favs into Smash.

you toke those words right out of my mouth. That's what I've been wanting to say, but I just didn't say it. I think it is okay for people to be upset about the smash direct if their character didn't make it into smash. It's understandable especially if you didn't even have a character that didn't get added to smash the first time and just like you said when a character gets added to smash, some people in the fanbase wins and rest of the people in the fanbase loses. I'm part of the crowd that lost. I wish that people look at both sides of the situation before commenting about it.

Edited by Luke Fon Fabre

When you get down to it not everyone is going to be on board with the idea. I love that Cloud is in this but you can bet your bottom dollar that there are a bunch of people whining about him getting put in as opposed to anyone else they may have been interested in. If you like Corrin that's fine, but I stand by what I say and nothing's going to change how I feel about the decision unless I decide to. I'm sure he's a fine character, but I still think this decision wasn't the best one, and that's just how it is. Can't win everyone over, sometimes you just got to accept that not everyone is on board (or at least not for the same reasons you are) and just move on.

It's fine to not care for the characters, but blaming Sakurai and taking the exclusion of your vote as a personal insult is absolutely ridiculous. That's what a lot of people are doing, and that's why I made this thread. Sakurai puts a lot of work into each individual character, and seeing people get furious over something as petty as a character in a video game is honestly kind of insulting to all of the work that he does.

you toke those words right out of my mouth. That's what I've been wanting to say, but I just didn't say it. I think it is okay for people to be upset about the smash direct if their character didn't make it into smash. It's understandable especially if you didn't even have a character that didn't get added to smash the first time and just like you said when a character gets added to smash, some people in the fanbase wins and rest of the people in the fanbase loses. I'm part of the crowd that lost. I wish that people look at both sides of the situation before commenting about it.

I'll point out for what's probably the fifth time now that my vote didn't make it in either. I'm in the "losing" crowd, as you put it. That's not an excuse to complain about your character not being included, though. I'm not saying people can't be upset, I'm saying people need to calm down and get off Sakurai's back over something as trivial as one character's inclusion in a video game. Don't like them? Don't buy them, it's that simple. Just don't go making a scene about it, because that's one of the worst ways to react. Being upset and insulting Sakurai over this are two very different things (Note that I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, either).

Well said. I completely agree. The amount of salt from the community is ridiculous.

Admittedly, I was one of the few that did not want K.Rool, Shovel Knight or Wolf to make a return. Even before the presentation started I was saying to one of my friends "you know what if Sakurai just pulls someone completely out of nowhere and surprises us all?"  Then boom they open with Corrin. He looks really great and I can't wait to try him out. I know Corrin is yet another Fire Emblem character, but as a Marth player I'm always that little bit anxious when a new Smash game comes out that he won't be added in (mostly because the vocal part of the Smash community love Roy or Ike). Corrin looks great and plays so differently from Marth, Ike or Robin. It's such a shame that people are complaining that he'll be the 6th Fire Emblem character. Fire Emblem owes a lot of its success to Smash Bros and it pleases me to know that Sakurai is a fan of the series because it means I get to enjoy playing as these characters.

On the note that Smash "fans" feel they need to have their say, did they all forget that Mewtwo, Roy and Lucas were added because of the complaining they did? We got 7 DLC characters and 4 of which were because of the fans, actually 5 if you count Cloud based on Sakurai's words.

I was disappointed that Isaac didn't get put in mostly because I really wanted him, am I going to complain about Corrin and Bayonetta? Hell no. I've never played Bayonetta outside of the demo for 2, but my girlfriend was so happy when Bayonetta was revealed that I was happy for her. She gets to play as a character she really likes in a game like Smash and that is brilliant. The roster is so diverse that there is something for everyone, personally I play as Marth, Shulk, Jigglypuff and Ness, all of which are very different from each other. That is the beauty of Smash, we get this glorious line-up of characters and just have fun. Sakurai and his team delivered an amazing game and for that I'm really happy.

How can anyone be salty when you can have a match-up like this in one game: Mario vs Sonic vs Mega Man vs Pac Man vs Cloud vs Link vs Ryu vs Bayonetta. That's the stuff of dreams for a lot of people.

I really hope Isaac joins the battle next time... :P

Trust me, by the time Smash 5 is announced, I'll be in the crowd (Wait no, I'm the only one probably ._.) cheering for Lin to get in. xD I'm just not going to go and treat Sakurai like dirt for not including my choices, like some people are.

Trust me, by the time Smash 5 is announced, I'll be in the crowd (Wait no, I'm the only one probably ._.) cheering for Lin to get in. xD I'm just not going to go and treat Sakurai like dirt for not including my choices, like some people are.

I'm gonna keep holding out for Neku. He is very realizable, especially with Square's support for Cloud this time around. Right now, we wait for February and from there, give Sakurai the peace and quiet he rightly deserves for the work he has done with Smash over these past few years. Most production ends for a game when it goes gold. Sakurai immediately had to start production on DLC just after finishing two completely different versions of one game. 

Thank you Sakurai, for giving us possibly the best Smash to date. You deserve a very long, well-needed break.

I'm gonna keep holding out for Neku. He is very realizable, especially with Square's support for Cloud this time around. Right now, we wait for February and from there, give Sakurai the peace and quiet he rightly deserves for the work he has done with Smash over these past few years. Most production ends for a game when it goes gold. Sakurai immediately had to start production on DLC just after finishing two completely different versions of one game. 

Thank you Sakurai, for giving us possibly the best Smash to date. You deserve a very long, well-needed break.

Neku's one of the few third-party characters who I'd really like to see (and also one of the few I think actually has a good shot), but at the same time, given that Cloud didn't get a whole lot with him aside from the stage, I'm not sure if Square's all that eager to support Smash. All of the other third-party characters got a lot of trophies and music tracks along with a stage, but Cloud only got two trophies (Cloud and Advent Children Cloud), and even on the Wii U version, only two music tracks. I get a feeling that's more of a licensing issue on Square's side, to be honest. I doubt Sakurai would have intentionally let one guest character get significantly less love than the others. Even Bayonetta looks to have a lot coming with her.

It's fine to not care for the characters, but blaming Sakurai and taking the exclusion of your vote as a personal insult is absolutely ridiculous. That's what a lot of people are doing, and that's why I made this thread. Sakurai puts a lot of work into each individual character, and seeing people get furious over something as petty as a character in a video game is honestly kind of insulting to all of the work that he does.

I'll point out for what's probably the fifth time now that my vote didn't make it in either. I'm in the "losing" crowd, as you put it. That's not an excuse to complain about your character not being included, though. I'm not saying people can't be upset, I'm saying people need to calm down and get off Sakurai's back over something as trivial as one character's inclusion in a video game. Don't like them? Don't buy them, it's that simple. Just don't go making a scene about it, because that's one of the worst ways to react. Being upset and insulting Sakurai over this are two very different things (Note that I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, either).

But I am not taking the exclusion of whoever I voted for as a direct insult. I'm taking the addition of someone that was relatively under the radar for so long as opposed to whoever got second on the ballot as an indirect insult. I'm sure that Sakurai meant no harm with this, but it still feels like a reckless decision. This doesn't have nearly the same impact fitting in just one more 3rd party character would have. I wouldn't care who it was, as long as they didn't already have a mii costume in the game I would have been fine with it. Or maybe even a FE character from a past game, at least there would have been history to it by that point. If there are people who ARE taking this too personally, then fine, preach away, but some people are just genuinely pissed off at the idea that went behind this and that's all there is to it.

I swear it's like whenever I bring this up to anyone else they think I'm just butthurt over my vote not getting picked. It might not be pleasant to listen to the haters or ranters, but it certainly is considerate at the very least. That's how you get them to mellow out and become more rational again, actually let them feel like they're being listened to and let them blow their steam instead of lecturing them why they're being irrational, at least to the ones who acknowledge that they are. Months from now this might not matter as much to me but it'll still leave an impression on me that will be hard to shake off. But I would not be able to mellow that much if there's nowhere to turn that aggression towards for it to run it's course. Thank god it's a fighting game.

But I am not taking the exclusion of whoever I voted for as a direct insult. I'm taking the addition of someone that was relatively under the radar for so long as opposed to whoever got second on the ballot as an indirect insult. I'm sure that Sakurai meant no harm with this, but it still feels like a reckless decision. This doesn't have nearly the same impact fitting in just one more 3rd party character would have. I wouldn't care who it was, as long as they didn't already have a mii costume in the game I would have been fine with it. Or maybe even a FE character from a past game, at least there would have been history to it by that point. If there are people who ARE taking this too personally, then fine, preach away, but some people are just genuinely pissed off at the idea that went behind this and that's all there is to it.

I swear it's like whenever I bring this up to anyone else they think I'm just butthurt over my vote not getting picked. It might not be pleasant to listen to the haters or ranters, but it certainly is considerate at the very least. That's how you get them to mellow out and become more rational again, actually let them feel like they're being listened to and let them blow their steam instead of lecturing them why they're being irrational, at least to the ones who acknowledge that they are. Months from now this might not matter as much to me but it'll still leave an impression on me that will be hard to shake off. But I would not be able to mellow that much if there's nowhere to turn that aggression towards for it to run it's course. Thank god it's a fighting game.

Letting people continue complaining and targeting Sakurai over this does nothing to help. It just makes them think this behavior is acceptable, but it's not. The man deals with enough stress from his work, and self-entitled people claiming that he's not doing a good enough job when he dedicates his life to these projects just makes things worse. It's very disrespectful towards him, and it's kind of pathetic to see people pull this because of a video game.

Letting people continue complaining and targeting Sakurai over this does nothing to help. It just makes them think this behavior is acceptable, but it's not. The man deals with enough stress from his work, and self-entitled people claiming that he's not doing a good enough job when he dedicates his life to these projects just makes things worse. It's very disrespectful towards him, and it's kind of pathetic to see people pull this because of a video game.

I'm not saying people should target Sakurai. If people seriously are then than have a much more serious problem than not getting the characters they wanted. Complaining will come and go as it does, but targeting and insulting shouldn't get much farther, I'll agree on that much. I'm not advocating anything of the sort, and I am entirely aware of the work he puts into this game. That kind of behavior is not acceptable. Complaining is one thing, that's fine, but trying to discredit someone is another thing entirely.