Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Hero of Winds

Why Is The Zelda Fan Base So Close Minded

For a long time running, almost 30 years now, The Legend of Zelda has been a staple Nintendo series. We've had plenty of great experiences, from Ocarina of Time to Skyward Sword, and plenty unfortunate ones we never like to name off (CD-i). It's a series about being a hero, not because the story tells you that you are one, but because your sense of adventuring and discovery leads to becoming one. But why is it that the adventure is gone? Why are we following laws and rules to play a game about adventuring? Why are we being forced along a line instead of being able to journey wherever we please?

The answer to that: the fans. No, it's not Nintendo. I mean, yeah, Nintendo develops the games and they give us what's in it, but what's in it, is what fans want. Unfortunately there's a large chain of unraveling events that this causes. The Legend of Zelda is losing fans with each new addition to the series. Why is this happening? Because the newer games are adding no conventions, nothing new, it's all the same thing every time. Nintendo does this because this is what the fans want. But why do fans want that?

Because it's what Zelda is. Because I can't see it working that way.

Because I dun like new ideas and conventions is more like it. What about us makes it that Nintendo should follow our rules and not their own? Why must Nintendo throw away new ideas to help justify a close minded community. No one wants to do that, Aonuma's sick of it even. Aonuma wants to add new conventions to the Zelda series. He wants to go back to the open world. He wants to add in an ability for us to make the story as we mak our choices. An idea like that allows for a better sense of adventure and allows every player to have their own, unique experience. Other things Aonuma would like to do is set in the spin off title, Hyrule Warriors. Hyrule Warriors has strong female protagonists. Hyrule Warriors has customization. Hyrule Warriors has action packed abilities. Hell, there's even a sense of adventure in it and it's practically a Dynasty Warriors game.  These conventions could carry over to future main titles if Hyrule Warriors is a well recepted game. 

Hyrule Warriors gave Aonuma a sense of freedom because he could have the devs do whatever they wanted to the Zelda series. Aonuma wasn't bound to the rules that we, as a close minded community, have set for him.  As a fan base, we should always keep an open mind, but few of us actually do.  

I've never seen a fan base as horribly close minded as the Zelda fan base. It makes me just a little more disappointed that I'm even able to include myself in the community.

Egoraptor's Sequelitis on Zelda:

Edited by Hero of Winds

The Zelda fanbase is probably the second  most annoying fanbase within the Nintendo community(First being the Smash Bros fanbase) that I've ever dealt with

They hate every game that gets released but suddenly they'll love it once the next one they'll hate comes out

They hated Majora's Mask until Wind Waker,They hated Wind Waker until Twilight Princess.Then they hated Twilight Princess until Skyward Sword

They just can never be satisfied even if you did something new or the same thing

But hey at least Aonuma is now trying new things with the upcoming Zelda game and he gave Tecmo Koei the full freedom to do whatever they want with Hyrule Warriors so at least there are signs of the series escaping the mercy of it's close minded fanbase

Judge a whole fan base by a few, do you?

By a few would be very wrong. The minority are the open minded fans. Every Zelda related group I've been in cries about new conventions. All they want is the same old Zelda.

By a few would be very wrong. The minority are the open minded fans. Every Zelda related group I've been in cries about new conventions. All they want is the same old Zelda.

Proof you must provide, receive belief after.

I fail to see how the newer games are doing nothing new. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are as different as night and day, as are Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Besides what they're doing works, each new release gets perfect scores across the board and wins many GOTY awards. I'm looking forwards to Hyrule Warriors more than most but that doesn't mean I want Zelda to be more like it. Zelda isn't an action game series so doesn't need all those flashy moves we see in Hyrule Warriors. And the LoZ series always had strong female protagonists, the eponymous Zelda for one, and Midna too.

I don't think Zelda lost its sense of adventuring and I wouldn't blame the fans for the more linear adventure where someone has to tell you where to go,to me its clearly Nintendo's way to please the casual gamers,just like how Mario games are now ridiculously easy.Look at the Dowsing in Skyward Sword for instance,it wasn't necessary,it was clearly made by Nintendo to make sure players wouldn't get lost.

I like games with open-worlds,but look at the first Zelda,its pretty much impossible to beat it without a guide,its not fun to waste countless hours exploring an open-world if you can't even progress on your own,that's why since ALTTP there are people to tell you where to go and its a good thing,as long as its not like Skyward Sword where they throw you in hallways and literally tell you EVERYTHING you have to do.

Edited by Isaix

The Zelda fanbase is probably the second  most annoying fanbase within the Nintendo community(First being the Smash Bros fanbase) that I've ever dealt with

They hate every game that gets released but suddenly they'll love it once the next one they'll hate comes out

They hated Majora's Mask until Wind Waker,They hated Wind Waker until Twilight Princess.Then they hated Twilight Princess until Skyward Sword

They just can never be satisfied even if you did something new or the same thing

But hey at least Aonuma is now trying new things with the upcoming Zelda game and he gave Tecmo Koei the full freedom to do whatever they want with Hyrule Warriors so at least there are signs of the series escaping the mercy of it's close minded fanbase

nope the first is the sonic fan base

nope the first is the sonic fan base

Dude I meant in terms of the Nintendo fanbases,the fanbases of Nintendo franchises

Trust me in terms of general fanbases the Sonic Fanbase is the shittiest of all and I still think that

Dude I meant in terms of the Nintendo fanbases,the fanbases of Nintendo franchises

Trust me in terms of general fanbases the Sonic Fanbase is the shittiest of all and I still think that

oh ok then

I think that they are like that because they can be like that because they would rather want more nostalgia in a zelda game then new thinks in a zelda game. I'm one of those people who loved a link between worlds because of nostalgia referencing to a link to the past. 

Then I'm the minority