Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Firaga

Film Details On Upcoming "Fantastic Four" Reboot

For those of you who don't know, 20th Century Fox, AKA a company who hits and misses at making good superhero movies, is going to make a reboot of Fantastic Four, slated to be released in 2015.

Earlier this year, it was revealed that Michael B. Jordan would be cast as Johnny Storm AKA The Human Torch; naturally, people were up in arms about an African-Amercian actor playing a character who was originally Caucasian. Just like the situation with Electro in TASM2, I have no qualms against this; I don't see race, I see quality acting and portraying the essence of the character right, and as long as Jordan can do that, I don't care what race he is.

That was pretty much the biggest amount of news we got out of the movie, until recently however...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fantastic-four-reboot-turns-doctor-748169

So now we know a few more things about the movie: we know the main cast, which is made up considerably younger actors than we got in the original movies. People are also worried about this, but hey, the movie is based on Ultimate FF, so I can live with it... what I can't live with however is this: it was reported that Doctor Doom, directly from the actor portraying Doom himself, Tony Kebbell, would have a major character change. What is the change you ask?

Instead of being a hardened dictator of his country Latveria... he's going to be a anti-social programmer... who uses the name "Doom" on blog websites... if you can't tell, this is the part where I blow my stack.

WHAT?! A programmer?! Are you shitting me right now, Fox? You're taking one of the most hardcore Marvel villains in the entire franchise and turning him into a programmer?! Who uses his super villain name on blogs?!

Okay, this is where the thread goes from me talking about the movie into me stating what is wrong with Fox and every other Hollywood studio making superhero movies: they need to stop doing this. They need to stop throwing in their garbage ideas into the source material they're using and just do the characters and stories right. We don't need any of this crap. We don't need crap like Shane Black trying to pull a Shamalan in Iron Man 3 by turning the Mandarin into a joke, we don't need the Sandman to be sympathetic and Uncle Ben's true murderer in Spider Man 3, and we especially don't need Deadpool being turned into a boring ass slaughter of his original character in X-Men Origins: Wolverine!

Yes, I know I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill, and the movie isn't out yet, but I don't care. Hollywood sucks at trying to be "different" or "clever" with superhero movies. I listed all the worst examples in the last paragraph, you know this to be true! What's to say this Doctor Doom idea won't blow? Hell, it might be so bad that it brings down the entire movie itself, adding yet another failure Fox's FF collection. It's a damn shame if that happens too, because we've had a great run with superhero flicks lately, especially with the MCU, so the new FF has the potential to f*ck all of that up.

So yeah, the "tl;dr" version is: Doctor Doom being a programmer is a terrible idea... on paper, that is. I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say that, you know, it'll be best to see this idea in execution before truly judging it. To be fair, none of the other examples I listed sounded good on paper either, and in execution they were no different... so yeah, I'm not banking on success with this one. :/

Edited by Firaga Sensei

Oh, damn, this will probably be a big problem when the reboot releases next year.  Doctor Doom being a programmer?  That just kills the essence of what makes the character evil!  When I hear mention of Von Doom, I expect an intimidating, merciless, cold-blooded dictator that doesn't answer to anyone and does whatever he wants to obtain what he desires.  And like you, I agree that I don't have a problem with an African-American actor playing the Human Torch.  I don't have any problems with races myself, but the whole Doctor Doom thing really has me skeptical about this film...I just wish a sequel would have been made to Rise Of The Silver Surfer, but oh well, Fox has always been so-so when it comes to making films based on Marvel.  Still, let's see how this new Fantastic Four will fare out once it releases. :)

About Johnny Blaze, Really, he isn't Storm anymore, what else are the going to change? The only reason Johny Storm had for being on that ship was nepotism, that he was Sue's brother, he had no credentials. If they changed his race and last name, it's clear that they likely aren't related anymore, meaning they'll have to totally change his character to give him a reason for being there. That's 2 characters ruined. If they where at least still brother and sister, either that he was adopted or that one of their parents was black they would at least be able to keep the character the same. the only way he can still be the same character now is if they decide to make him her half-brother which they probably wont. And BTW, "Blaze" really? They're making his name a play on his power? That's just cheesy.

Edited by Isamu_Kuno

About Johnny Blaze, Really, he isn't Storm anymore, what else are the going to change? the only Johny storm had for being on that ship was nepotism, that he was Sue's brother, he had no credentials. If they changed his race and last name, it's clear that they likely aren't related anymore, meaning they'll have to totally change his character to give him a reason for being there. That's 2 characters ruined. If they where at least still brother and sister, either that he was adopted or that one of their parents was black they would at least be able to keep the character the same. the only way he can still be the same character now is if they decide to make him her half-brother which they probably wont. And BTW, "Blaze" really? They're making his name a play on his power? That's just cheesy.

Wait, did I say Johnny Blaze? Oh shit, I can't believe I didn't catch that. xD I'm sorry. I mixed up Human Torch's name with Ghost Rider's name. His name is still going to be Johnny Storm.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

Wait, did I say Johnny Blaze? Oh shit, I can't believe I didn't catch that. xD I'm sorry. I mixed up Human Torch's name with Ghost Rider's name. His name is still going to be Johnny Storm.

Oh okay, As long as they're still bro and sis, I'm okay with the race change

I don't like that Johnny is black. It just screams "Hey, see how cool and modern we are. We are so open-minded", when I kinda think it's lazy. I am enjoying Miles Morales so much more than if Marvel had simply made a "Black Peter Parker". Michael B. Jordan is a fine actor and I am sure he will do the character justice, but that doesn't he should play the role in the first place. I would rather have new African-American heroes to love, and not just forever see them as "Black (insert originally White hero here)".I agree we should save judgement until it comes out, but let's be honest: this thing is going to be a box office bomb. Hopefully Fox will just get so frustrated they will give it back to Marvel. Can you believe the director actually told the actors playing the Fantastic Four NOT to read the comics!?!?!? Really, wtf?

Why was there a sequel then?

Why wasn't there a third film they were so obviously trying to tease?

I don't like that Johnny is black. It just screams "Hey, see how cool and modern we are. We are so open-minded", when I kinda think it's lazy. I am enjoying Miles Morales so much more than if Marvel had simply made a "Black Peter Parker". Michael B. Jordan is a fine actor and I am sure he will do the character justice, but that doesn't he should play the role in the first place. I would rather have new African-American heroes to love, and not just forever see them as "Black (insert originally White hero here)".I agree we should save judgement until it comes out, but let's be honest: this thing is going to be a box office bomb. Hopefully Fox will just get so frustrated they will give it back to Marvel. Can you believe the director actually told the actors playing the Fantastic Four NOT to read the comics!?!?!? Really, wtf?

Why wasn't there a third film they were so obviously trying to tease?

I didn't remember since it was so long ago. Haha.

I don't like that Johnny is black. It just screams "Hey, see how cool and modern we are. We are so open-minded", when I kinda think it's lazy. I am enjoying Miles Morales so much more than if Marvel had simply made a "Black Peter Parker". Michael B. Jordan is a fine actor and I am sure he will do the character justice, but that doesn't he should play the role in the first place. I would rather have new African-American heroes to love, and not just forever see them as "Black (insert originally White hero here)".

Why does it matter? :/ You said that Jordan was a good actor and that he'll do the character justice, so why shouldn't he have the role? As long as he plays the character well, that's all that matters in the long run. Like I said before, I don't see race, so I don't see Jordan as "Black Johnny Storm", I see him as just "2015 Movie Johnny Storm". :/

At least those movies resembled the Fantastic Four comics. :P

What's that supposed to mean?

Hero Of Light XIV: I actually liked both movies too.

Well, you're in the minority too.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

What's that supposed to mean?

Well, you're in the minority too.

As in so far those two movies were closer to what most of us would expect and want a Fantastic Four movie to be like. At the very least you could say that Doctor Doom is closer to his true character than this "Blog-tor Doom" does.

And just because something is "a minority" doesn't mean that it's any less worthy of an opinion to listen to. When people say things like "Well, you're in the minority then", it usually comes across as "Well, you're only one of about 2,000 or so people who do think this way about something, but there is basically about 3 million+ more people out there who think otherwise, so statistically you're wrong and should feel insecure about it."

I get that people didn't like these movies that much (I certainly think they could have been done better in some aspects), but that doesn't mean that the people who did like some things about them don't know what they are talking about and should go play in the kiddie corner.

But anyway, I'm just saying that from the way of how this reboot is sounding, I'd much rather prefer Fox's first "botched" attempts at Fantastic Four than put up with something that cares even less about its source material than the movie it's redoing. Call it a "lesser of two evils" argument if you want, that's just my stance on the whole thing. :P

As in so far those two movies were closer to what most of us would expect and want a Fantastic Four movie to be like. At the very least you could say that Doctor Doom is closer to his true character than this "Blog-tor Doom" does.

I'm just saying that from the way of how this reboot is sounding, I'd much rather prefer Fox's first "botched" attempts at Fantastic Four than put up with something that cares even less about its source material than the movie it's redoing. Call it a "lesser of two evils" argument if you want, that's just my stance on the whole thing. :P

Oh. Fair enough.

Also, about the minority thing: I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything, but honestly, ask around and I'm sure most people, people who think critically and respect the source material that the movies come from, will probably say that FF and FF:ROSS both suck. :/ The fact that Fox is making a reboot is grounds enough to say how good the last two movies really were.

Either way, this just means Fox should really try their best not to screw this up. Despite the whole Doom thing, they've expressed how much they want this movie to be a love letter to the comics, a celebration if you will, so we can at least expect the film to do well based on that. Hopefully Programmer Doom won't too much of a burden to deal with.

Oh. Fair enough.

Also, about the minority thing: I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything, but honestly, ask around and I'm sure most people, people who think critically and respect the source material that the movies come from, will probably say that FF and FF:ROSS both suck. :/ The fact that Fox is making a reboot is grounds enough to say how good the last two movies really were.

Either way, this just means Fox should really try their best not to screw this up. Despite the whole Doom thing, they've expressed how much they want this movie to be a love letter to the comics, a celebration if you will, so we can at least expect the film to do well based on that. Hopefully Programmer Doom won't too much of a burden to deal with.

I don't know, from the sounds of things, it almost seems like they're rebooting it because that's what Sony and Marvel Studios have been doing a lot of lately: rebooting their franchises. While each of their reboots had good reasons for wanting to do that, I'm not quite convinced yet that Fox actually cared enough about the series to want to reboot it for the sake of doing it "right". At least, that's just how I see it because I tend to see Fox as a bit more of a "jerk" in regards to the other major studios. But who knows, maybe they are actually being genuine with this one. I mean, I enjoyed the X-Men movies a good deal (I didn't really get that worked up over "Baraka-Pool". I just cared that Ryan Renolds did a good Wade Wilson.), and the Deadpool movie sounds like it's going to kick ass! I guess I'm just a little skeptical because the change sounds so radical and I enjoyed the originals a really good deal. BUT, seeing as how I initially felt the same way about the Spider-Man reboot and now I have ended up loving the Amazing series, it's quite possible that even Fox could pleasantly surprise me. The game is on I guess. :P

For those of you who don't know, 20th Century Fox, AKA a company who hits and misses at making good superhero movies, is going to make a reboot of Fantastic Four, slated to be released in 2015.

Earlier this year, it was revealed that Michael B. Jordan would be cast as Johnny Storm AKA The Human Torch; naturally, people were up in arms about an African-Amercian actor playing a character who was originally Caucasian. Just like the situation with Electro in TASM2, I have no qualms against this; I don't see race, I see quality acting and portraying the essence of the character right, and as long as Jordan can do that, I don't care what race he is.

That was pretty much the biggest amount of news we got out of the movie, until recently however...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fantastic-four-reboot-turns-doctor-748169

So now we know a few more things about the movie: we know the main cast, which is made up considerably younger actors than we got in the original movies. People are also worried about this, but hey, the movie is based on Ultimate FF, so I can live with it... what I can't live with however is this: it was reported that Doctor Doom, directly from the actor portraying Doom himself, Tony Kebbell, would have a major character change. What is the change you ask?

Instead of being a hardened dictator of his country Latveria... he's going to be a anti-social programmer... who uses the name "Doom" on blog websites... if you can't tell, this is the part where I blow my stack.

WHAT?! A programmer?! Are you shitting me right now, Fox? You're taking one of the most hardcore Marvel villains in the entire franchise and turning him into a programmer?! Who uses his super villain name on blogs?!

Okay, this is where the thread goes from me talking about the movie into me stating what is wrong with Fox and every other Hollywood studio making superhero movies: they need to stop doing this. They need to stop throwing in their garbage ideas into the source material they're using and just do the characters and stories right. We don't need any of this crap. We don't need crap like Shane Black trying to pull a Shamalan in Iron Man 3 by turning the Mandarin into a joke, we don't need the Sandman to be sympathetic and Uncle Ben's true murderer in Spider Man 3, and we especially don't need Deadpool being turned into a boring ass slaughter of his original character in X-Men Origins: Wolverine!

Yes, I know I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill, and the movie isn't out yet, but I don't care. Hollywood sucks at trying to be "different" or "clever" with superhero movies. I listed all the worst examples in the last paragraph, you know this to be true! What's to say this Doctor Doom idea won't blow? Hell, it might be so bad that it brings down the entire movie itself, adding yet another failure Fox's FF collection. It's a damn shame if that happens too, because we've had a great run with superhero flicks lately, especially with the MCU, so the new FF has the potential to f*ck all of that up.

So yeah, the "tl;dr" version is: Doctor Doom being a programmer is a terrible idea... on paper, that is. I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say that, you know, it'll be best to see this idea in execution before truly judging it. To be fair, none of the other examples I listed sounded good on paper either, and in execution they were no different... so yeah, I'm not banking on success with this one. :/

based on Ulitmate FF? do u meam the Final Fantasy anime?

based on Ulitmate FF? do u meam the Final Fantasy anime?

Uh, a) no, I mean the Ultimate Fantastic Four comic, and b) this thread has nothing to do with Final Fantasy, dude.

Uh, a) no, I mean the Ultimate Fantastic Four comic, and b) this thread has nothing to do with Final Fantasy, dude.

oh i was confused cuse the fff anime is called Final Fantasy Unlimited