Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
DChiuch

Nintendo Dream, Tetsuya Nomura interview.

The latest issue of Nintendo Dream magazine has included an interview with the director of the Kingdom Hearts series, Tetsuya Nomura. Here, Nomura discusses the development of Kingdom Hearts Re:coded, and also reveals details concerning Kingdom Hearts 3D. Thanks to HEARTSTATION.ORG and Key to Truth, as well as ReBirth Wings who originally posted the interview, it can be read below.

KH RE:Coded Tetsuya Nomura / Jun Katou / Hiroyuki Itoi Interview

+ Coded was developed for use on mobile phones, but it wasn�t compatible on as many devices as they first planned. Particularly, there wasn�t a single compatible device overseas, which meant gamers outside Japan could not play.
Talks of remaking the game for the most widely used hardware, so that as many gamers as possible could play, began.
In the beginning, the plan was to port the game instead of remaking it. Howeber, h.a.n.d, the team who were asked to do it, still had knowledge from making Days and so it happened that they decided to make the game in proper 3D. Also, the way the cutscenes were presented and the growth system were changed, and as a result, it ended up being hugely remade where everything but the story was completely different.
The scedule they�d set when the plan was simply to make a port didn�t change, and so time-wise it was severe. The h.a.n.d staff were stationed permenantly, and the Osaka team who developed BbS collaborated too, so it�s like the title was made from the cooperation of the Tokyo, Osaka and Sapporo teams.

+Days was made with particularly hard elements, and many people said that it was difficult. For that reason, they thought they would make this title something that felt light to play, not something that demanded technique.
The component of playing with a customisable character was left in, and for the action part, refreshing play was a point they kept in mind.
Specifically, the balance of enemies in Days was also hard, and if the player did not think cleverly about customisation and technique, the degree of difficulty got higher. However, this time they went with a cut-down design, and they also aimed to tighten the frequency of controlling with the directional pad.
The original coded had an autojump feature too. Thanks to this, the puzzle action is much easier.

+This title is the furthest of all the game so far in the timeline.
It is a sequel which establishes the contents of the letter from the King in the KHII ending.

+Rather than an adventure in which you travel near and far through the worlds, this game has an impression of making worlds to travel in.
Also, amongst the titles in the KH series, there is a regular pattern of solving past mysteries only to give rise to new mysteries. In this title, the mystery of the erasure of Jiminy�s Journal in CoM is settled.
And then, this gives rise to the setting of worlds within the data of Jiminy�s Journal.
The Sora in this title was reanimated through data, and so (in the very beginning) he is as he was before the journey of KH began. This is so he is at level 1.
Nomura: It�s very difficult, thinking of reasons for Sora to return to level 1 each time (laughs)

+They thought they�d make a side link that only the gamers who also played all three games would understand. It takes the shape of summarising everything in the end of Coded.
Coded is unique within the series. It does not have a story in which emotions fluctuate intensely, but there were people who conversely thought this was good.

+When they spoke to Tabata before making the transmitted version of coded, they began talking about how they wanted to make a Kingdom Hearts theme park, and the concept arose of an �attraction RPG� in which the play varied for each world. It is for this that the battles were extended and diverging.
In this title there are several power ups, which gives a fresh feeling while playing.

+The main premise of this title centres around things that were introduced in KH (first game). From within that, they chose to put in each different battle gamplay system, and make it rich in variety.
There are also worlds that are difficult technically to complete.
The truth is, they wanted to add the gummi ship. They thought of adding it for the remake, but, time-wise there was enough strain as it was, so they didn�t bring it up.

+Olympus Coliseum appeared in full so that the plot setup came to life properly in the game, and on top of that, to make the components that were put in fit nicely.

+There are more than 800 kinds of avatar parts. All the ones that were in KHMobile were re-pixelated and edited.
If you use Mingle Mode you can receive scratch cards and system area parts from your partners, and you can also get some kind of part from the scratch card. Also, if you clear the gameplay area floor trials, the arrangement is such that you can receive one of the parts that your partner is wearing.
The contents of the scratch card also change depending on how far your partner has gotten. It might be more profitable to connect with people who have played as much as possible.
The parts you have from the beginning are also different from cartridge to cartridge. Also, because you can receive scratch cards and floors from other cartridges and from public wireless LAN waves, so they want you to try using Mingle Mode actively in many different places.

+The avatar gameplay area is 100 floors max, but:
Nomura: �I suggested that of course we absolutely had to have 100 levels for players to savour a real feeling of acheivement.�
Test playing took 2~3 days, and of course the game was corrected over the things that came to light. They think that an experienced player could complete the game in a few hours.
It may be easy to collect 100 levels, but of course if you don�t clear them you can�t receive parts or SP, so they want you by all means to try and clear them.
You receive a title for clearing 10 levels on avatar gameplay area. Raise your title, and the trials you can send partners also rise.

? The atmosphere in KH3D will be different from other titles.
? There will be new worlds.
? Re:Coded's ending and BBS' secret movies give hints as to what Sora has to do in future titles.
? KH3D will be close to how CoM had a story for Sora and Riku, but it's not like they are going to be separated in this adventure.
? Nomura wants to add three new "elements" to KH3D, things that wouldn't be possible to do on any console other than Nintendo 3DS.
? Nomura is thinking about more titles apart from KH3D.

Super doopity-doo! I love me some details. It'll be interesting in 3D to see Sora and Riku together instead of seperated most of the game. I've never seen Sora really collaborate with Kairi and Riku for more than, like, 5 minutes, lol. It's also interesting how Nomura gives all these details, yet I'm still as confused as I was in the beginning...hmmm, lol

Nice info on Re:coded, helped me understand a lot about the game since I'll be picking it up when it comes out next year.

As for KH3D, still not a lot of info, but it sounds like they're making use of the 3D effects. Frankly, just new worlds alone will get me to buy this.

I was just snooting around the internet, and I found two interesting/noteworthy things...

1) Sora will not be the same Sora we're familiar with. Odd

2) It takes place AFTER Coded. Let the new theories pile in!

Too...exited...!!

Wow! The kh3d news got me more hyped and excited on that upcoming title.. Im still wondering what would be the final title for kh game in 3ds since kh3d is just a itteration title.. Plus the thing that 'sora will not be the same sora that we were familiar with'. I hope kh3d won't take too long to be released. Im looking forward for at least a trailer of it.

I was just snooting around the internet, and I found two interesting/noteworthy things...

1) Sora will not be the same Sora we're familiar with. Odd

2) It takes place AFTER Coded. Let the new theories pile in!

Too...exited...!!

No, he said it wasn't Sora we'd be familiar with, which imo, would imply that it'd be Riku filling that position instead, being the other main playable character and all.

If an experienced gamer can finish Re:Coded in a few hours, then I think it'll take me months to finish it (Main reason is cuz I'm lazy xD)

ww I'll just go back to watching vids after KH3D released cuz I don't have that much money to but a 3DS...and my parents won't allow me to buy one anyway xD /is exited to spoil myself