The blog Hokanko(Alt) has published a summary of the interview that Dengeki PlayStation has had with Kingdom Hearts series director Tetsuya Nomura. This interview is to be published on the next issue of the magazine, which will release on June 28 (JST).
Below is the full summary as peovided by the blog. Translations are thanks to @Keytotruth.
- Frozen was planned to be a world pretty early in development.
- It follows the movie pretty closely, and Sora's story proceeds as Elsa's and Anna's move on.
- The Keyblade from the world of Frozen transforms you so you have shoes for skating.
- Elsa and everyone else don't join your team, but Marshmallow will offer your his help.
- For Pirates of the Caribbean, Nomura wanted to experiment with different graphics.
- Sora in a pirate suit is something Nomura really wanted to do.
- This world made it in because he wanted at least one live action film to be in the game.
- While the story does take place during the third movie, there are also elements from the second one.
- There are a lot of gimmicks since you can move through land, sea and air. The Keyblade becomes a lance and a flag.
Nomura thinks they'll be able to show the world of Big Hero 6 next time.
- Sugar Rush will be a Link Command as they announced. Also, there's the minigame called "Remy's Delicious Restaurant".
- The reason why they showed the worlds of Hercules and Toy Story in the media/E3 demo was because they are the ones closest to completion.
- Some impressions that theythey rece about the trial were about the camera. They are going to work on that until the last day.
- This time [for this game], making everything from scratch was really tough.
- The difficulty for the demodwas slightly easier than "Standard mode", but a little bit harder than "Beginner mode".
- The powering up of each character is something similar to how they powered up from KH1 to KH2.
- The director and staff from Einhänder are the ones working on the Gummi Ship portion. Nomura really liked their work, so he's looking forward to the finished product.
- There is a Combat specialized mode and an exploration mode. You could say it's an open world Gummi Ship.
They will talk about Gummi Ship customization the next time.
- The order you visit worlds in is decided up to a certain degree.
- This time, there is no such thing as skippable worlds. This is because most people didn't see all of them in the previous games.
Right now there are no online capabilities, but they're thinking of adding something.
- At this moment they're not looking into making any demo.
- Information related to the New Organization XIII will be revealed as we move towards the release.
- After some incident Aqua... (Note: This part is ambiguous, but it might mean that we see Aqua as she is in the trailers after a certain incident.)
- If you play both KHIII and Union Cross, Nomura thinks you'll end up understanding Marluxia.
- Since this will be the time for "everyone to settle things up", many characters from the series will make appearance.
- They got the new song from Utada Hikaru really early on.
- After giving her an explanation about the series and its contents, she made the song herself.
- The special edition PS4 Pro was decided very early on. In order to find the ideal color, it was redone many times.
- It will be covered with leather.
- The controller will also be a new type with flashing lights on top of the touchpad with a custom design.
- Nomura would like you to play the previous KH games and KHUx as you wait.
There's also the problem where we might be running out of space, so Nomura would like you to get connected to the internet in case they distribute online content.
- KHIII's release is being prioritised over the promotion of FFVII Remake.
Stay up to date with KH13.com as we will be covering Dengeki PlayStation’s Kingdom Hearts III feature tomorrow!
UPDATE [Jun 27, 2018]: Dengeki PlayStation Vol. 665 has released and includes an 8-pages Kingdom Hearts III feature! You can take a look at the scans below.
UPDATE [Jul 2, 2018]: Full translation of the Nomura interview isnow available here! Please note that the original translations might differ from the ones above that have been reported by Hokanko(Alt).
We will be translating the full interview with Nomura found in this issue, so keep an eye on our website and follow us on Twitter for updates!