Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Da-Awesom-One

Lone Sora Chess Piece Theory *Discussion and Speculation, Spoilers and Potential Spoilers*

So after watching the Final Battle Trailer, I have come to believe that there is more significance to the Sora Chess Piece being alone.

If you've been avoiding news snippets like the extra stuff that we've seen at TGS, I suggest you turn back now if you want to go into KHIII fresh.

As we have seen, there is going to be a part in Kingdom Hearts III where the Guardians of Light are going to get beaten, quite severely, at that. Now, here's the thing. I don't think they're going to die, necessarily, but I do think that they're going to be held captive, or some sort of purgatory.

The reason I believe this is because I recall Vanitas speaking in the Keyblade Graveyard: "Only when your hopes have been broken by battle upon battle can the key to Kingdom Hearts be claimed." It seems from this, they are likely going to have their captives keep fighting, as indicated by Riku fighting Replica Riku, and Lea getting slammed with Xemnas' lasers.

(Alternatively, they could all have simply been put in various states after getting beaten, like maybe out of commission, but let's assume for the sake of this topic that they're made to continue fighting. I'll explain why later.)

They all get captured. The King, Riku, Lea, Kairi, Donald, Goofy, they get taken by the 13... except for Sora. Because of Riku, he manages to escape.

He's distressed about it. As we've seen in the 30 second spot, he's only ever fought alongside his friends, but he's never had to do it alone. He feels he CAN'T do it alone. But Riku reassures him. "Sora, you don't believe that. I know you don't."

After what happens in the Graveyard goes down for the first time, Sora is left alone. He has to find a way to save everyone on his own. He probably still feels like he can't do it... until a pep talk from a certain best buddy, home skilly biscuit, home slice for life: Chirithy! (That's what I call him, haha) There's probably more to it and more people involved than that, but Chirithy does ask Sora if he knows how to bring back a heart after it's lost. Maybe he learns it there?

After that, Sora resolves to continue where they left off: find more Guardians of Light to help save his friends. How does he start? By finding a way to the Realm of Darkness to save Aqua.

There have been various cutscenes in the trailers where, oddly enough, we see Sora alone when talking to some of the Darknesses. Vanitas, Young Xehanort. I believe at this point in those times, we're playing as Sora, and he's trying to find a way into the Realm of Darkness.

And eventually he does. And as we've clearly seen in the TGS footage, Sora fights Aqua alone. Perhaps this is why? Now, granted, Aqua's scenario may indeed involve the Master's Defender, and I have no sure proof to suggest that it is after he gets the Master's Defender is when they go save Aqua. Alternatively, though, there's also no concrete proof supporting the fact that it is when he gets the Master's Defender is when he goes for Aqua.

Anyway, he restores Aqua, and then the next order of business is saving Ven. I like to believe that Vanitas probably still feels Ventus and Sora though his connection to Ventus' heart, and likely surmises what Sora's trying to do. As of the Final Battle trailer, we can see that it seems that Vanitas doesn't really care for Xehanort's plot much. He's mainly trying to merge Ventus' heart with his again. Maybe he lets Xehanort know, or decides to go on his own, and get the heart back himself.

Cue them in Castle Oblivion/Land of Departure, trying to get Ventus back, and Vanitas shows up. Aqua hold him off, while Sora dives into Ven's heart. Not sure how this portion will end, but I have a feeling it'll end with my long-awaited showdown between Sora and Vanitas, the later of whom may not survive the fight.

Perhaps one of the Darknesses takes Ven while this happens. Maybe he has his heart back, but it's taking him a while to wake up due to how long he's been a sleep. A slow reboot so to speak. They go back to the Keyblade Graveyard, and end up confronting Terra-Xehanort.

How he is there, I don't know. Is he one of the Darknesses? I do not know. What I do know is that Sora and Ventus were chained up by dark versions of the Lingering Will chain technique in the Final Battle trailer. Terra-Xehanort has them, but then they're saved by the Lingering Will, which could lead to Terra being saved.

If that is the case, he now has 4 Lights to fight the Darknesses. Him, Ven, Aqua, and Terra.

I also believe Roxas will be fighting for the Lights as well. Perhaps the whole thing with Roxas takes up a good chunk of the story in the meanwhile. He gets taken out of Simulated Twilight Town, has to get checked up on by Ansem the Wise and Ienzo, and then shows up later to save Lea. He could probably save him from Xemnas' ultimate attack, and point the Kingdom Key at him, before summoning his other Keyblade, and shifting them to Oblivion and Oathkeeper like he did at the end of 358/2 Days. He swipes at Xemnas, and then removes his hood like at the end of the TGS trailer.

I also think Sora might recruit Xion and Namine, but I have no proof nor any explanations as to how he will do so.

All I know is that if he succeeds, there will be a new group of Seven Lights.

Sora.

Aqua.

Ventus.

Terra.

Roxas.

Xion.

Namine.

To conclude, I really hope this theory turns out to be true, though I have to stress again this is all merely speculation on my part. Still, it makes for a great character development arc for Sora, that would only have him engaging in a venture worthy of a Keyblade Master.

He has always said his friends were his power, and he theirs... Now it's time for him to prove it.

On 12/18/2018 at 2:57 PM, Da-Awesom-One said:

So after watching the Final Battle Trailer, I have come to believe that there is more significance to the Sora Chess Piece being alone.

If you've been avoiding news snippets like the extra stuff that we've seen at TGS, I suggest you turn back now if you want to go into KHIII fresh.

As we have seen, there is going to be a part in Kingdom Hearts III where the Guardians of Light are going to get beaten, quite severely, at that. Now, here's the thing. I don't think they're going to die, necessarily, but I do think that they're going to be held captive, or some sort of purgatory.

The reason I believe this is because I recall Vanitas speaking in the Keyblade Graveyard: "Only when your hopes have been broken by battle upon battle can the key to Kingdom Hearts be claimed." It seems from this, they are likely going to have their captives keep fighting, as indicated by Riku fighting Replica Riku, and Lea getting slammed with Xemnas' lasers.

(Alternatively, they could all have simply been put in various states after getting beaten, like maybe out of commission, but let's assume for the sake of this topic that they're made to continue fighting. I'll explain why later.)

They all get captured. The King, Riku, Lea, Kairi, Donald, Goofy, they get taken by the 13... except for Sora. Because of Riku, he manages to escape.

He's distressed about it. As we've seen in the 30 second spot, he's only ever fought alongside his friends, but he's never had to do it alone. He feels he CAN'T do it alone. But Riku reassures him. "Sora, you don't believe that. I know you don't."

After what happens in the Graveyard goes down for the first time, Sora is left alone. He has to find a way to save everyone on his own. He probably still feels like he can't do it... until a pep talk from a certain best buddy, home skilly biscuit, home slice for life: Chirithy! (That's what I call him, haha) There's probably more to it and more people involved than that, but Chirithy does ask Sora if he knows how to bring back a heart after it's lost. Maybe he learns it there?

After that, Sora resolves to continue where they left off: find more Guardians of Light to help save his friends. How does he start? By finding a way to the Realm of Darkness to save Aqua.

There have been various cutscenes in the trailers where, oddly enough, we see Sora alone when talking to some of the Darknesses. Vanitas, Young Xehanort. I believe at this point in those times, we're playing as Sora, and he's trying to find a way into the Realm of Darkness.

And eventually he does. And as we've clearly seen in the TGS footage, Sora fights Aqua alone. Perhaps this is why? Now, granted, Aqua's scenario may indeed involve the Master's Defender, and I have no sure proof to suggest that it is after he gets the Master's Defender is when they go save Aqua. Alternatively, though, there's also no concrete proof supporting the fact that it is when he gets the Master's Defender is when he goes for Aqua.

Anyway, he restores Aqua, and then the next order of business is saving Ven. I like to believe that Vanitas probably still feels Ventus and Sora though his connection to Ventus' heart, and likely surmises what Sora's trying to do. As of the Final Battle trailer, we can see that it seems that Vanitas doesn't really care for Xehanort's plot much. He's mainly trying to merge Ventus' heart with his again. Maybe he lets Xehanort know, or decides to go on his own, and get the heart back himself.

Cue them in Castle Oblivion/Land of Departure, trying to get Ventus back, and Vanitas shows up. Aqua hold him off, while Sora dives into Ven's heart. Not sure how this portion will end, but I have a feeling it'll end with my long-awaited showdown between Sora and Vanitas, the later of whom may not survive the fight.

Perhaps one of the Darknesses takes Ven while this happens. Maybe he has his heart back, but it's taking him a while to wake up due to how long he's been a sleep. A slow reboot so to speak. They go back to the Keyblade Graveyard, and end up confronting Terra-Xehanort.

How he is there, I don't know. Is he one of the Darknesses? I do not know. What I do know is that Sora and Ventus were chained up by dark versions of the Lingering Will chain technique in the Final Battle trailer. Terra-Xehanort has them, but then they're saved by the Lingering Will, which could lead to Terra being saved.

If that is the case, he now has 4 Lights to fight the Darknesses. Him, Ven, Aqua, and Terra.

I also believe Roxas will be fighting for the Lights as well. Perhaps the whole thing with Roxas takes up a good chunk of the story in the meanwhile. He gets taken out of Simulated Twilight Town, has to get checked up on by Ansem the Wise and Ienzo, and then shows up later to save Lea. He could probably save him from Xemnas' ultimate attack, and point the Kingdom Key at him, before summoning his other Keyblade, and shifting them to Oblivion and Oathkeeper like he did at the end of 358/2 Days. He swipes at Xemnas, and then removes his hood like at the end of the TGS trailer.

I also think Sora might recruit Xion and Namine, but I have no proof nor any explanations as to how he will do so.

Sora.

Aqua.

Ventus.

Terra.

Roxas.

Xion.

Namine.

To conclude, I really hope this theory turns out to be true, though I have to stress again this is all merely speculation on my part. Still, it makes for a great character development arc for Sora, that would only have him engaging in a venture worthy of a Keyblade Master.

He has always said his friends were his power, and he theirs... Now it's time for him to prove it.

I was thinking something like that might happen to. But...

Spoiler

I'm not so sure Ventus will be apart of the final GoL line-up since he appeared to be taken in the Keyblade Graveyard along with the others in the Final Battle Trailer.

Edited by PrinceNoctis

On 12/18/2018 at 2:57 PM, Da-Awesom-One said:

Sora.

Aqua.

Ventus.

Terra.

Roxas.

Xion.

Namine.

Nice and well thought out. Good job man. I do think Roxas is going to play a heavy, heavy role in how things go down. I believe that he will show up after everyone is taken. He's going to be the one that pep talks Sora into getting tf up and fighting. Not quite sure what Namine can do, but if Xion DOES in fact fight for the lights then i need to be convinced she can hold her own against these guys.

Does Scala ad Caelum play a role in the theory?  We did see Sora facing off against MX and twelve other versions of himself.  Does Sora have to find a way out of the world to go, recruit other guardians and then rescue his comrades.   What does MX do to counteract Sora's attempts at rescuing the Guardians and his friends?

On 12/22/2018 at 11:47 AM, PrinceNoctis said:

This might be an actual spoiler. Careful! (Reveal hidden contents)

I'm not so sure Ventus will be apart of the final GoL line-up since he appeared to be taken in the Keyblade Graveyard along with the others in the Final Battle Trailer.

On 12/22/2018 at 11:47 AM, PrinceNoctis said:

This might be an actual spoiler. Careful! (Reveal hidden contents)

The other thing is, if Riku and Mickey get their butts beaten by Aqua, what's to stop Sora from going back to save her immediately besides searching for the Key to Return Hearts? That is if he goes back. Some people say that the fight we saw between Aqua and Sora is actually going to be between Aqua and Riku based on the fact that Sora makes no reaction at all to her, but I still don't buy it. If he still does go back, we could get a fight between Aqua and Sora and Aqua and Riku, only we lose as Riku no matter what the outcome. Kind of like the Leon fight in KH 1 but different.

Edited by ITzDarthLordRevan

19 minutes ago, ITzDarthLordRevan said:

The other thing is, if Riku and Mickey get their butts beaten by Aqua, what's to stop Sora from going back to save her immediately besides searching for the Key to Return Hearts? That is if he goes back. Some people say that the fight we saw between Aqua and Sora is actually going to be between Aqua and Riku based on the fact that Sora makes no reaction at all to her, but I still don't buy it. If he still does go back, we could get a fight between Aqua and Sora and Aqua and Riku, only we lose as Riku no matter what the outcome. Kind of like the Leon fight in KH 1 but different.

Riku losing would feed into the whole "Sora's the key" thing. 

16 hours ago, ITzDarthLordRevan said:

Yeah, I definitely feel like Riku is going to face Aqua and get beaten. It was basically shown to us in the Theme song trailer and the new commercials.

20 hours ago, ienzo628 said:

Riku losing would feed into the whole "Sora's the key" thing. 

You're right about that. I always thought Sora being the Key was possible because we really don't if the "Key to Return Hearts" is actually a Keyblade or not. It would also be like the typical shonen protagonist gaining a deux-ex-machina power in a moment of trouble sort of trope.  We've also seen the term used with quotation marks most of time, which makes me think It's not a literal key. This, plus the power of waking, could help Sora safely remove Ven, Roxas, and maybe even Xion from his heart. Could also help bring Aqua out of her darkness.

5 minutes ago, ITzDarthLordRevan said:

You're right about that. I always thought Sora being the Key was possible because we really don't if the "Key to Return Hearts" is actually a Keyblade or not. It would also be like the typical shonen protagonist gaining a deux-ex-machina power in a moment of trouble sort of trope.  We've also seen the term used with quotation marks most of time, which makes me think It's not a literal key. This, plus the power of waking, could help Sora safely remove Ven, Roxas, and maybe even Xion from his heart. Could also help bring Aqua out of her darkness.

But with every power comes a consequence.  How does Sora bring them back without losing his own heart in the process, which would pretty much be a "checkmate" for MX?

Ohohoooo boy! The things that you miss when you're away from the internet, trying to avoid spoilers... only to fail and do it anyway. 

Let's see the speculation that's been going while I was gone.

On 12/22/2018 at 8:47 AM, PrinceNoctis said:

This might be an actual spoiler. Careful! (Hide contents)

I personally believe that happens when they go and mount their rescue. You know, when they go there and run into Terra-Xehanort. Again, I've got no proof, but this theory is under the assumption that there's a sequence in KHIII where's Sora's goin' solo.

On 12/23/2018 at 4:25 PM, Chasm said:

Nice and well thought out. Good job man. I do think Roxas is going to play a heavy, heavy role in how things go down. I believe that he will show up after everyone is taken. He's going to be the one that pep talks Sora into getting tf up and fighting. Not quite sure what Namine can do, but if Xion DOES in fact fight for the lights then i need to be convinced she can hold her own against these guys.

Oh, of course Xion can hold her own. Namine, I'd like to belive is still kinda present in Kairi, so maybe she learns to use the Keyblade as Kairi does, like a memory sync ala Assassin's Creed. I dunno. Maybe her power over memories might bring them back. She was able to interact with Terra, after all. And even told him about Aqua before he crosses her in 0.2 (however it was that that happened.) Maybe she's become omniscient?

Also, I'd like to add that she's the only one Xehanort wasn't able to ruin or do something to that was overtly dire, not including imprisonment at CO. Most of it was of her own free will. So props to my girl.

(Unless of course he does so in KHIII... 0.0)

On 12/23/2018 at 5:41 PM, ITzDarthLordRevan said:

I don'y buy into what those people are saying, if only because at the end of the TGS trailer, we see Sora and Aqua reaching out to each other underwater like in the 0.2 opening. Not saying that Riku won't fight Aqua, but it is the fight between Sora and Aqua that will see her free from the darkness at last.

As for why Sora's serious or not reacting... well, that whole cutscene has already played out at that point. What he's said has been said, and that last line about him feeling all of her misery and despair as the indication that they're going to fight.

Personally, I fully expect her to chide him or berate him about him having the Keyblade, bringing up the fact that she didn't do the Bequeathing on him. This of course would toll heavily on Sora, as this is after he just failed to protect his friends severely in the Keyblade Graveyard.

But I think, while Sora knows this, he also knows that this is his chance to prove that he's worthy of the Keyblade. Before, he was okay with being part of the people that the Keyblade chose, but now he has to prove he is worthy in order to save everyone.

And again, I must stress, this is Sora getting 6 new Guardians of Light, if my theory is what ends up happening. And he needs Aqua. This is a fight he CANNOT lose. He probably tells her this when he responds about the Keyblade, before finally trying to implore that there's still light in her heart.

Cue the Aqua's theme and Fate of the Unknown mix that signifies the beginning of their fight.

On 12/23/2018 at 4:50 PM, ienzo628 said:

Does Scala ad Caelum play a role in the theory?  We did see Sora facing off against MX and twelve other versions of himself.  Does Sora have to find a way out of the world to go, recruit other guardians and then rescue his comrades.   What does MX do to counteract Sora's attempts at rescuing the Guardians and his friends?

I think Scala ad Caelum is the last world. That would happen after all of that is said and done.

I have a whole other theory as to who those figures are.

I don't think Xehanort's gonna do much. I think he's still think that it's DESTINYYYY, and that regardless of what happens, his plans will still succeed.

Thing is, it's what happens AFTER destiny has played out that I think will be his undoing.

To quote MoM, "We have to focus on what happens AFTER."

On 12/24/2018 at 2:25 PM, ITzDarthLordRevan said:

On 12/24/2018 at 2:32 PM, ienzo628 said:

But with every power comes a consequence.  How does Sora bring them back without losing his own heart in the process, which would pretty much be a "checkmate" for MX?

I personally wouldn't know, as this "Key to Return Hearts"  has been shown off very little in promotion, other than Chirithy's mention of the ability in the Final Battle trailer. If this is an ability and not a Keyblade, I think Chirithy, our main buddy, home biscuit, home slice for life, will show Sora how.

And again, we don't know for sure if he will lose his heart when he does. Ansem the Wise has implied that Sora has that power, and seems confident he can use it without consequence.

Spoiler

And of course, we saw Ven in that snippet that Squeenix had to take down before editing it and putting it back up. That implies that there's no consequence to using the power.

Anyway, that's all the responses I have for now. Maaaaaaaan, next month can't come soon enough! Got three whole days off work to play when it releases!

3 minutes ago, Da-Awesom-One said:

Ohohoooo boy! The things that you miss when you're away from the internet, trying to avoid spoilers... only to fail and do it anyway. 

Let's see the speculation that's been going while I was gone.

I personally believe that happens when they go and mount their rescue. You know, when they go there and run into Terra-Xehanort. Again, I've got no proof, but this theory is under the assumption that there's a sequence in KHIII where's Sora's goin' solo.

Oh, of course Xion can hold her own. Namine, I'd like to belive is still kinda present in Kairi, so maybe she learns to use the Keyblade as Kairi does, like a memory sync ala Assassin's Creed. I dunno. Maybe her power over memories might bring them back. She was able to interact with Terra, after all. And even told him about Aqua before he crosses her in 0.2 (however it was that that happened.) Maybe she's become omniscient?

Also, I'd like to add that she's the only one Xehanort wasn't able to ruin or do something to that was overtly dire, not including imprisonment at CO. Most of it was of her own free will. So props to my girl.

(Unless of course he does so in KHIII... 0.0)

I don'y buy into what those people are saying, if only because at the end of the TGS trailer, we see Sora and Aqua reaching out to each other underwater like in the 0.2 opening. Not saying that Riku won't fight Aqua, but it is the fight between Sora and Aqua that will see her free from the darkness at last.

As for why Sora's serious or not reacting... well, that whole cutscene has already played out at that point. What he's said has been said, and that last line about him feeling all of her misery and despair as the indication that they're going to fight.

Personally, I fully expect her to chide him or berate him about him having the Keyblade, bringing up the fact that she didn't do the Bequeathing on him. This of course would toll heavily on Sora, as this is after he just failed to protect his friends severely in the Keyblade Graveyard.

But I think, while Sora knows this, he also knows that this is his chance to prove that he's worthy of the Keyblade. Before, he was okay with being part of the people that the Keyblade chose, but now he has to prove he is worthy in order to save everyone.

And again, I must stress, this is Sora getting 6 new Guardians of Light, if my theory is what ends up happening. And he needs Aqua. This is a fight he CANNOT lose. He probably tells her this when he responds about the Keyblade, before finally trying to implore that there's still light in her heart.

Cue the Aqua's theme and Fate of the Unknown mix that signifies the beginning of their fight.

I think Scala ad Caelum is the last world. That would happen after all of that is said and done.

I have a whole other theory as to who those figures are.

I don't think Xehanort's gonna do much. I think he's still think that it's DESTINYYYY, and that regardless of what happens, his plans will still succeed.

Thing is, it's what happens AFTER destiny has played out that I think will be his undoing.

To quote MoM, "We have to focus on what happens AFTER."

I personally wouldn't know, as this "Key to Return Hearts"  has been shown off very little in promotion, other than Chirithy's mention of the ability in the Final Battle trailer. If this is an ability and not a Keyblade, I think Chirithy, our main buddy, home biscuit, home slice for life, will show Sora how.

And again, we don't know for sure if he will lose his heart when he does. Ansem the Wise has implied that Sora has that power, and seems confident he can use it without consequence.

Hide contents

And of course, we saw Ven in that snippet that Squeenix had to take down before editing it and putting it back up. That implies that there's no consequence to using the power.

Anyway, that's all the responses I have for now. Maaaaaaaan, next month can't come soon enough! Got three whole days off work to play when it releases!

We'll just have to hope and see.  I really hope there is some sort of consequence since it would add hype for the next KH game. 

I like most of your theory but the way you wrote it makes it seem like this will all happen somewhere mid game and Sora will be on his own for the remainder of the game till the finale. I don't really see that happening. I actually think everything we've seen in the Keyblade graveyard is pretty close to endgame.

But in any case I think Sora will be 'alone' for the final showdown or penultimate showdown. I doubt many if any of the big names are  truly dead.

Edited by DirtyDave90

On 12/26/2018 at 12:46 PM, DirtyDave90 said:

I like most of your theory but the way you wrote it makes it seem like this will all happen somewhere mid game and Sora will be on his own for the remainder of the game till the finale. I don't really see that happening. I actually think everything we've seen in the Keyblade graveyard is pretty close to endgame.

But in any case I think Sora will be 'alone' for the final showdown or penultimate showdown. I doubt many if any of the big names are  truly dead.

More like towards the end. Not in midgame. Can you imagine going to the rest of the worlds alone, save for its respective party member?  It'll be a Birth by Sleep throwback, for sure, but it's unrealisitc.

No, I think it's only towards the end.

Yeah, I don't think anyone will die. And if it is, it won't be permanent. Probably have to do with Sora's power to return hearts, or something.

I always thought that the chess piece was foreshadowing something like what we saw in the trailer. I think the "Chirithy part" won't happen at the same time as the final battle, maybe.

Namine might help them, but I don't think she will be part of the lights. Xion seems to be a darkness, probably until the end.

I also don't think anyone will die, at least not permanently.

Edited by Kittenz