Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
sorakeyblade999

Forced Blocking of KH3 Livestreams/Playthroughs?

Hello, my fellow Dandelions! After not posting for a long while, I am here with a question.

Now, when Persona 5 first came out, Atlus put up a hard block on a certain day in the game so nobody would be spoiled within a relatively good time span. This actually helped a lot because people got to experience the long game in full before the ban was lifted. Do you think Square should do the same thing? Personally, I think so

Blocking cutscenes in game is one thing, but capturing devices can bypass that pretty easily. If they put up...say an embargo, like they've done in the past with some events, that it would be a good move. Gives us time to play the game and find out the story and secrets ourselves rather than watching someone play it on Twitch. That being said, I know that this would get some heat from Let's Players and streamers alike, but I think it would only be for a short period of time. I'm thinking maybe....two weeks or so? Middle of February? Maybe Valentines Day. I think that reasonable. What do you think? Let me know down below and until next time...

Maybe, 2 weeks would be reasonable for the ban if it were to happen. Only problem is that they'd have to wait until that ban is over. It'd be a pain in the butt to get to a blocked cutscene and have to wait until the block is lifted to play/stream again... and there's people out there who just watch lets plays because they don't have the system/game but are interested in the series...

I don't think a ban will help at all. As you said, capture cards can bypass blocked content fairly easily and putting up an embargo wouldn't work. You can't completely prevent people from streaming the games or uploading content and at some point, it will be difficult to take down every video because of copyright claims. And I'm not sure it's in Square's best interest either since Let's Plays are mostly not considered illegal due to their nature, unless they are monetized. And even then, they will also profit from this type of marketing. It's why companies even give game copies to Youtubers and the like to play it.

Quite frankly, I have no issues with them taking down videos before the official release but anything after is ridiculous. I understand the desire to remain unspoiled but at some point, it's up to the individual to avoid certain content and there's a lot we can do to ensure that for ourselves. And if videos aren't there, people will spoil others with pictures and/or texts anyway. It might be an unpopular opinion but it shouldn't be up to Square/Disney to protect the fans from spoilers once the game is out. Not to mention that it's impossible to control all websites.

Also, what about the people who can't afford the game/the console and want to watch streams and Let's Plays/Walkthroughs in order to get the full experience and not just snippets? What about those who won't be able to play it right away? Such an embargo would only protect those who will get the game immediately and would be impossible to keep up for long. An event has a much smaller scale and I'm sure there was some sort of agreement to prevent information from leaking out.

KH3 is too anticipated to control entire sites like Twitch, Youtube, etc. I'm all for restricting videos for unreleased games but once the game is out, the responsibility is ours alone. 

Edited by Merilly

I can see both sides of it, but i feel like if one doesn't want to be spoiled there are plenty of ways for people to go about that. To force one to not be able to stream content is kind of a...archaic way of going about the situation.

On 12/24/2018 at 10:51 AM, PrinceNoctis said:

From a marketing standpoint, I don't know if that's a good idea. Playthroughs make for some really good promo for any game and it seems Disney and Square Enix are REALLY pushing for KHIII to be a commercial hit.

From a marketting standpont, i see it as a perfecyrational move by a conteent creator (disney) to protect it's Intellectual property from being spoiled by non owners.

Legally, in most end user lisences, users acknolwedge that