Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Power Jusho

What other Disney film should get a live action/CGI remake?

What other Disney film should get a live action/CGI remake?  

49 members have voted

  1. 1. What other Disney film should get a live action/CGI remake?

    • Tarzan
      1
    • Hercules
      9
    • Bambi
      2
    • Pocahontas
      5
    • The Aristocats
      3
    • Atlantis: The Lost Empire
      17
    • Treasure Planet
      12


Recommended Posts

Honestly, I kind of want the live action remakes to stop. It's stifling a lot of creativity in terms of western Hollywood cinema, not to mention it's just outright rehashing the same stories without taking any kind of creative risks with them, and the few times they do take risks, they're the wrong ones. The only cases where making live action remakes would be more acceptable, in my eyes, would be if they applied them to slightly more obscure or underrated titles, like they did with Pete's Dragon. So in that case, Atlantis and Treasure Planet might be the more fitting options to pick from here, but as a fan of the originals, I'd almost rather not see how they might muck those two up, I'd rather just see the originals get more and more recognized and appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hero of Light XIV said:

Honestly, I kind of want the live action remakes to stop. It's stifling a lot of creativity in terms of western Hollywood cinema, not to mention it's just outright rehashing the same stories without taking any kind of creative risks with them, and the few times they do take risks, they're the wrong ones. The only cases where making live action remakes would be more acceptable, in my eyes, would be if they applied them to slightly more obscure or underrated titles, like they did with Pete's Dragon. So in that case, Atlantis and Treasure Planet might be the more fitting options to pick from here, but as a fan of the originals, I'd almost rather not see how they might muck those two up, I'd rather just see the originals get more and more recognized and appreciated.

I agree for the most part. The only one on this list that I kind of want to see remade is Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Other than that I have very little interest in more live action remakes. I'll admit, the Jungle Book was visually fantastic (at least in my opinion) but it didn't add a whole lot in terms of story. I am looking forward to the new Dumbo since it appears that they've greatly expanded the story, but The Lion King and Aladdin don't interest me much. 

My boyfriend said a live action Hunchback of Notre Dame would be cool, but I really don't think a live-action version of that would be possible, at least not from Disney. I feel like the original source material is way too gritty for them to be able to make a live action version work. Of course, they announced a live-action remake in January, so I guess we'll see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe something like Treasure Planet. I probably wouldn't mind them remaking films that weren't so popular at the time.

I just don't like remakes of films that are already huge. Like Lion King and Aladdin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Allwil13 said:

My boyfriend said a live action Hunchback of Notre Dame would be cool, but I really don't think a live-action version of that would be possible, at least not from Disney. I feel like the original source material is way too gritty for them to be able to make a live action version work. Of course, they announced a live-action remake in January, so I guess we'll see what happens.

they announced it in january 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ocean's rage said:

they announced it in january 

Yeah I know. I mentioned it in the post, lol. I'll keep an eye on it, I suppose. Hunchback is my favourite disney film, so I'm curious to see what they'll do with a remake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would say atlantis the lost empire for live action , but there is already plenty live action films out / coming out already that the trend kinda needs to take a rest XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Allwil13 said:

My boyfriend said a live action Hunchback of Notre Dame would be cool, but I really don't think a live-action version of that would be possible, at least not from Disney. I feel like the original source material is way too gritty for them to be able to make a live action version work. Of course, they announced a live-action remake in January, so I guess we'll see what happens.

1

Actually, just from reading the SparkNotes of the original Victor Hugo novel, the Disney version actually darkened the nature of the Frollo/Quasimodo relationship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Ventus_ said:

Actually, just from reading the SparkNotes of the original Victor Hugo novel, the Disney version actually darkened the nature of the Frollo/Quasimodo relationship. 

Yeah, it's true that Frollo and Quasimodo's relationship wasn't nearly as rocky as the DIsney film. However, the Disney film also significantly lessened the brutality of Esmeralda's character arc. Esmeralda went through some awful stuff in the book. I won't get into it here, but let's just say that the Esmeralda/Phoebus relationship in the source material was in no way the loving, affectionate one we saw in the film. Plus the ending is one of the darkest I've ever seen. The book doesn't pull any punches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Allwil13 said:

Yeah, it's true that Frollo and Quasimodo's relationship wasn't nearly as rocky as the DIsney film. However, the Disney film also significantly lessened the brutality of Esmeralda's character arc. Esmeralda went through some awful stuff in the book. I won't get into it here, but let's just say that the Esmeralda/Phoebus relationship in the source material was in no way the loving, affectionate one we saw in the film. Plus the ending is one of the darkest I've ever seen. The book doesn't pull any punches.

I know exactly what you're getting at, the SparkNotes summary was almost like reading the book itself, it was incredibly detailed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ventus_ said:

I know exactly what you're getting at, the SparkNotes summary was almost like reading the book itself, it was incredibly detailed. 

Yeah, Sparknotes was a godsend when I was in university, lol. 

ANyway, I'm curious about how the live action Hunchback will turn out, but i'm not holding my breath for it to be any more accurate than the anmated version was. And don't get me wrong, the animated version was excellent. Again, it's my all-time favourite disney film. But I just don't think they can get any more accurate in live action than they did with the animated film. Even the animated film reeeeally pushed the envelope. Remember that scene where Frollo smells Esmeralda's hair. Gives me chills every time. 

Not to mention Hellfire, the single most awesomely intense villain song in any Disney film ever. 

I guess the best we can do is wait and see. I am looking forward to seeing who plays Frollo. I'm hoping for Mads Mikkelson; I think he'd be fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Allwil13 said:

Yeah I know. I mentioned it in the post, lol. I'll keep an eye on it, I suppose. Hunchback is my favourite disney film, so I'm curious to see what they'll do with a remake. 

oh sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Allwil13 said:

Yeah, Sparknotes was a godsend when I was in university, lol. 

ANyway, I'm curious about how the live action Hunchback will turn out, but i'm not holding my breath for it to be any more accurate than the anmated version was. And don't get me wrong, the animated version was excellent. Again, it's my all-time favourite disney film. But I just don't think they can get any more accurate in live action than they did with the animated film. Even the animated film reeeeally pushed the envelope. Remember that scene where Frollo smells Esmeralda's hair. Gives me chills every time. 

Not to mention Hellfire, the single most awesomely intense villain song in any Disney film ever. 

I guess the best we can do is wait and see. I am looking forward to seeing who plays Frollo. I'm hoping for Mads Mikkelson; I think he'd be fantastic.

I'm on the same page. 
Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of my all-time favorite Disney films as well and as such, I am curious to see what a live-action remake brings to it but I am not passing judgment at this time with there being no information. 

Right beside it as a top favorite of mine is The Lion King and I'm not overly impressed with what we know of that remake. I quite hope I'm wrong though as I so often am. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ventus_ said:

I'm on the same page. 
Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of my all-time favorite Disney films as well and as such, I am curious to see what a live-action remake brings to it but I am not passing judgment at this time with there being no information. 

Right beside it as a top favorite of mine is The Lion King and I'm not overly impressed with what we know of that remake. I quite hope I'm wrong though as I so often am. 

I loved the Lion King as a kid, but as I got older it lost much of its appeal. Now I find it to be kind of overrated, but that's just me. Not gonna dump on anyone for singing its praises; I totally get why people love it. Regardless, I feel like the Lion King remake is going to backfire no matter what. I see one of two things happening. 

EIther the film will have several changes and people will pitch a fit because it's too different from the original. Or the film will be mor or less a shot for shot remake and people will complain that it's just trying to relive the glory days. 

I mean, it's possible that it will be a success but I just think that because it's held up on such a high pedestal it won't be able to live up to whatever expectations people have for it. And I do hope that it's good (the fact that Jon Favreau is directing it is a good sign), but I won't hold my breath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've cast my vote here for Atlantis
It and Treasure Planet are the only two films listed that I'm really a fan of but I don't see Treasure Planet translating to live action/CGI whereas I feel Atlantis could be truly beautiful. 

17 minutes ago, Allwil13 said:

EIther the film will have several changes and people will pitch a fit because it's too different from the original. Or the film will be mor or less a shot for shot remake and people will complain that it's just trying to relive the glory days. 

Makes sense. I'm already pitching a fit because Jeremey Irons isn't reprising Scar and two of the hyenas have been changed. 
In addition, I've been fearful from the beginning that the darker Halmet-esque atmosphere of the plot couldn't translate to live action CGI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ventus_ said:

I've cast my vote here for Atlantis
It and Treasure Planet are the only two films listed that I'm really a fan of but I don't see Treasure Planet translating to live action/CGI whereas I feel Atlantis could be truly beautiful. 

Makes sense. I'm already pitching a fit because Jeremey Irons isn't reprising Scar and two of the hyenas have been changed. 
In addition, I've been fearful from the beginning that the darker Halmet-esque atmosphere of the plot couldn't translate to live action CGI. 

When it comes to remakes I find it's helpful to view both versions as their own separate entities. Unless both films have the same director, it doesn't seem fair to me that people expect the remakes to be exactly the same as the originals. The film is supposed to be the director's vision, so they should be allowed to do the film they way they want to do it, not the way fans say they should. 

For the record though, I will admit I was hoping for Jeremy Irons to come back too since they announced the return of James Earl Jones as Mufasa. But Chiwetel Ejiofor is a great actor, so I'm sure his take will be at least decent. ANd Keeghan Michael Key is voicing Kamari (the new name of Ed the hyena) and I love him. So I totally get the disppointment in some of the casting. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Honestly, since the whole cast aside from James Earl Jones has been switched I feel like they shouldn't have brought him back either. I feel like it pushes the film towards "reliving the glory days" territory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Allwil13 said:

When it comes to remakes I find it's helpful to view both versions as their own separate entities. Unless both films have the same director, it doesn't seem fair to me that people expect the remakes to be exactly the same as the originals. The film is supposed to be the director's vision, so they should be allowed to do the film they way they want to do it, not the way fans say they should. 

I concur I take this view with film adaptions of books as well. Even if I am unhappy with certain inaccuracies I can still appreciate a book made film in its own right. 

21 minutes ago, Allwil13 said:

Honestly, since the whole cast aside from James Earl Jones has been switched I feel like they shouldn't have brought him back either. I feel like it pushes the film towards "reliving the glory days" territory.

True, bringing back JEJ and no one else feels a bit random and raises fan expectations for it to mimic the original. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...