Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Weiss

Xbox One - General Discussion

39 members have voted

1. 1. What would make you buy an Xbox One?

• A lower price: $500 is too steep.
    • Get rid of the 24 hr online check-in requirement.
    • Exclusive games.
    • Nothing. Microsoft has lost me as a consumer/I'm just not interested in what they're offering.
    • Different reason?
    • I'm already planning on buying an Xbox One.

To recap, here's a list of the confirmed titles coming to the Xbox One

Assassin's Creed 4 
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts 
Destiny 
Dying Light 
FIFA Soccer 14 
Forza Motorsport 5
Madden 25 
NBA Live 14 
Need for Speed Rivals
Quantum Break
Ryse
Thief 
EA Sports UFC 
Watch Dogs 

Also, here's an approximation of the dimensions of the Xbox One. This is not official or confirmed but likely to be a good guess.
Posted Image
Edited by Weiss

To recap, here's a list of the confirmed titles coming to the Xbox One

Assassin's Creed 4 
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts 
Destiny 
Dying Light 
FIFA Soccer 14 
Forza Motorsport 5
Madden 25 
NBA Live 14 
Need for Speed Rivals
Quantum Break
Ryse
Thief 
EA Sports UFC 
Watch Dogs 

Also, here's an approximation of the dimensions of the Xbox One. This is not official or confirmed but likely to be a good guess.
Posted Image

I like how roughly 75% of all of the release titles will be sequels rather than completely new games.

Of course, Nintendo and Sony probably won't do anything differently, but it just shows the direction the game industry is going. Sequel after sequel, few truly new ideas. 

I love how it says they might be able to still "work with" used game sales by forcing used game stores to integrate their convoluted cloud system just to MAKE SURE no one's giving out free games.Oh, and everyone has to pay a fee for installing a game that's already used, and doing so will erase the game from the original owner's hard drive.I can't even begin to describe how stupid everything I've heard from the Xbox One has been, but I sincerely hope they take an enormous hit for this one. It's unfortunate that Microsoft still monopolizes the operating system market, because we know they'll never run out of money.

It doesn't piss me off because I wanted to buy it; I wasn't going to buy it anyway. It pisses me off that I know some people WILL buy it.

I love how it says they might be able to still "work with" used game sales by forcing used game stores to integrate their convoluted cloud system just to MAKE SURE no one's giving out free games.Oh, and everyone has to pay a fee for installing a game that's already used, and doing so will erase the game from the original owner's hard drive.I can't even begin to describe how stupid everything I've heard from the Xbox One has been, but I sincerely hope they take an enormous hit for this one. It's unfortunate that Microsoft still monopolizes the operating system market, because we know they'll never run out of money.

It doesn't piss me off because I wanted to buy it; I wasn't going to buy it anyway. It pisses me off that I know some people WILL buy it.

Only die-hard Halo Xbox fanboys will buy it out of loyalty to the brand.Those are the kind of stupid fanboys that sent the gaming industry to oblivion

I love this part of it:

And then there is the even larger trend of casual gaming. Many people play games on their mobile devices, often for cheap or even free. If people can get their gaming fix from their phone, the argument goes, why do they need an expensive console for their living room?

Of course, because games on mobile devices are entirely comparable to console games, as they both have the same capabilities and standards.  Point being?  This guy is an idiot for trying to make that a valid point -_-

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/gamestop-stock-plummets-following-xbox-one-used-game-204230663.html

They're causing the game industry to crash before the Xbox One has even been released yet. This is going absolutely wonderfully!

And then someone will rise from the ashes and save the industry once again just like what happened after the 1980's crash

Kinda wonder who will save it???? I think I should wait for Sony's E3 conference and cross my finger that they hopefully won't follow Microsoft's footstep of r.etardness

It's one thing for Microsoft to do what they want and have their company face the consequences of their marketing strategy.  It's another thing when they drag other businesses down with them.  Say what you will about Gamestop, but they do a good job making video games accessible to lower income gamers and they don't deserve to have their business suffer because Microsoft is paranoid about how people lend out their games.  Hopefully the fees they impose won't choke too much profit on them, but I could well see that customers selling their game will get less back for XBox1 games(and their sellback prices are already pretty low).

A patent filed in November 2011 (and made available to the public this month) for an achievement system when watching television and video programming hints that Microsoft may be considering plans to woo users with virtual and physical rewards, according to a report by GamesIndustry International.

GameSpot contacted Microsoft to confirm whether any of the features listed in the patent application will be supported by the company's upcoming Xbox One console. A spokesperson was unavailable for comment at time of publication.

Source

What

Zumba Fitness world party is now another confirmed Xbox One title coming later this year.

Source

And here's Ubisoft's Alex Hutchinson on the Xbox One

What are your first impressions of the console? What do you feel are the big positives and negatives?

There’s nothing more exciting than new hardware, and I love the smell of new plastic as much as anyone, but we need to remember that a hardware announce will never be that exciting by itself: it’s the games that will run on it that are important. The best thing about this generation is that with relatively stable platforms and dev friendly architecture, the success or failure of this generation is firmly in the hands of game developers. Great software will show why dedicated hardware is still the best platform for gaming, and poor software will open the door to phones and tablets. I firmly believe though that there are at least 50 million hardcore gamers out there, and that if you build quality, they will pick it up. And if you can’t make money selling to an install base that size, then you’re making games that real people don’t want or you’re not managing your budget properly.

What do Xbox One’s connected features mean for you as a games developer?

From a developer point of view, not much. It’s more of a political issue for the hardware makers: how can they legitimately protect the hard work of devs and themselves without alienating or pissing off the audience too much? It’s not really a question we’re involved in. We just need to work within the boundaries that MS and Sony define.

The reveal event was more about TV and services than games – do you think there’s more coming at E3?

I think the announce was for shareholders and an attempt at the mass market who may not usually be interested in a new games machine and you’ll see an E3 focused exclusively on games. Our level design director Philippe Bergeron was laughing that so many people were angry at the continued mention of TV but when he checked his friends online seven out of 10 were watching Netflix – so it is something people are using, but it’s definitely games and content that will drive early adopters so E3 needs to be big.

What can you tell us about working with the hardware? How powerful is it compared to a high-end PC or PS4?

Both systems are easy to work with this time round, so I don’t think you’ll hear many complaints, and it lowers the cost of entry for smaller or less technically savvy devs too, so hopefully more people can just make new experiences instead of spending too much time on the tech driving them.

How does the new Kinect fit into your plans? Can games developers choose not to use it if they don’t want to?

The biggest plus is just that it ships with every console: we can assume that players have the device, so we can include it as a core feature in the game whereas before you knew that most people didn’t have it so the feature had to be peripheral at best. I think you’ll see more games using it for bonus features, or at least acknowledging its existence than the current state of most games having zero support and then specific games being Kinect only.

Source

Edited by Weiss

Microsoft's Xbox one to be Region-locked:

The Xbox One will require game software to match the console's hardware region to play, according to a report by Digital Trends.

Microsoft spokesperson confirmed to the publication that region-specific encoding will be put in place to comply with legal requirements for selling the hardware across various global markets.

“Similar to the movie and music industry, games must meet country-specific regulatory guidelines before they are cleared for sale," said the rep. "We will continue to work with our partners to follow these guidelines with Xbox One.”

Microsoft includes a similar feature on the Xbox 360, but allows game developers and publishers to determine whether they will opt to lock out players who import games from other countries. Nintendo’s Wii U software is also tied to the country of console purchaseSony is yet to make an announcement regarding region locking on the PlayStation 4.

While the PlayStation 3 natively allows users to play discs from other countries, the PlayStation 3 version of Atlus-published fighter Persona 4 Arena recently became thefirst game on the platform to enforce region locking.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-will-be-region-locked-report-6408917

Edited by Tails

The Xbox One event had record breaking view numbers and was the number 1 watched non-sports event across tv networks that day.

Source

And apparently the Xbox One will have some Indie friendly programming

Source

The Xbox One event had record breaking view numbers and was the number 1 watched non-sports event across tv networks that day.

Source

And apparently the Xbox One will have some Indie friendly programming

Source

Is it as indie-friendly as Sony's and Nintendo's programming.I really doubt that.

Is it as indie-friendly as Sony's and Nintendo's programming.I really doubt that.

It's described as some sort of indie friendly programming and after the whole no indie thing it's hard to tell. I don't think it'll be as good as Sony's but that's just my opinion. There aren't really too many details on it though.

Update:

Looks like Microsoft is looking at comments/tweets etc. Hopefully they actually take some into consideration.

Source

Edited by Weiss

It's described as some sort of indie friendly programming and after the whole no indie thing it's hard to tell. I don't think it'll be as good as Sony's but that's just my opinion. There aren't really too many details on it though.

Update:

Looks like Microsoft is looking at comments/tweets etc. Hopefully they actually take some into consideration.

Source

Console's nearly finished, they aren't to change something because a few people tweet about it. Lol.

I'd hate to have my privacy threatened by Microsoft. 

Someone should so open a PS4 up in front of the XBOX One and it's Kinect 2.0 then start burning XBOX stuff.