Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
LeYenrz

California's Crisis

As you all know (if you dont know yet) I'm a United States citizen. And I live in the state of California. And if you dont know yet, California isn't a great place to be in right now. There's a severe drought going on that's been lasting for about 3 years. And it's SEVERE. 

For my fellow Californians or other people who don't think this problem is that serious, here's a link to show how severe it actually is.

http://www.tickld.com/x/what-these-pictures-show-about-california-is-disturbing-seriously

It's been going as extreme as certain cities banning carwashes and fining people  from doing the ALS bucket challenge. 

I've been concerned about this issue for quite a while even before i saw this link while i was lulling around on Facebook. So i've been doing my best to limit my water usage (not to the point where it ruins my hygiene, ugh). But i'm kind of scared for what's to come. Im just hoping really really bad that this winter a lot of rain will come since last winter the rains came very very late.

Any fellow Californians that can ease my fears? An expert meteorologist? Or do you want to just talk about it and discuss about it? After all, this is a Real Life & Personal thread I guess.

If you dont really care about the US or it's current well being, im sorry for wasting your time. It's just that today i got a full glimpse for myself in how this drought is seriously affecting California. 

Edited by khdayskh1314

Gotta admit that surprises meIf anything I would expect the nearby Arizona to be hit by a drought more so, since the entire state is just desert

?? hows the situation in Arizona then?

Gotta admit that surprises meIf anything I would expect the nearby Arizona to be hit by a drought more so, since the entire state is just desert

California is a desert too, they just planted a lot of palm trees and other plants in the cities.  But if you go outside the cities it's all desert.

My uncles live in California so I worry about how they'll be.

California is a desert too, they just planted a lot of palm trees and other plants in the cities.  But if you go outside the cities it's all desert.

My uncles live in California so I worry about how they'll be.

actually...you're quite wrong. You're depicting southern california. Most of CA is supposed to be pretty lush

keyword being "supposed"

Edited by khdayskh1314

actually...you're quite wrong. You're depicting southern california. Most of CA is supposed to be pretty lush

keyword being "supposed"

Is north CA also in a drought?  I thought it was mostly southern CA?

all of it. all of california

That's weird.  Is Oregon also having problems?  It could be that water in the north is being transported to the south and is causing shortages statewide.  Just a guess though, I'm not too informed about it all.

That's weird.  Is Oregon also having problems?  It could be that water in the north is being transported to the south and is causing shortages statewide.  Just a guess though, I'm not too informed about it all.

it's not a problem of transportation. California can sustain its own water under normal circumstances and we dont really get water from Oregon. It's just the weather that's being a big asshole to us right now. do you live in the east?

it's not a problem of transportation. California can sustain its own water under normal circumstances and we dont really get water from Oregon. It's just the weather that's being a big asshole to us right now. do you live in the east?

No, I was just wondering if Oregon is getting screwed over by the lack of rain too since it's immediately north of California.  And I live in the midwest.  I just have family in California.  Where I live we had a drought last year that farmers are still hurting from :(

Fining people for doing the ice bucket challenge?  That's really sad.  Sure wish somehow we could dump the flood waters in Burbank, IL over there.

I actually live in CA, and i didn't know this until now. O_o Why has no one near me brought this up at all by now, if it's as serious as it looks? I'm pretty surprised.

When I first found out about the drought in CA a couple months ago, or even a year ago, I didn't think it was this serious.  The before and after pictures really show you how serious this drought is.  I live in CA and I'm scared it might affect me in the future if it doesn't get better :/  I just hope it rains a lot this year. 

Idk how I feel about getting fined for doing the ASL ice bucket challenge.  It does have a good cause.  I did read an interesting argument between two 4-year college students about the drought and ASL ice bucket challenge.  They both made interesting points. 

Idk how I feel about getting fined for doing the ASL ice bucket challenge.  It does have a good cause.  I did read an interesting argument between two 4-year college students about the drought and ASL ice bucket challenge.  They both made interesting points. 

So like what if you're doing it in your garden?  It's not like you're wasting the water then.

I'm on the opposite coast so I'm not experiencing drought but I'm so sorry for you and your area D: hopefully this'll end eventually. California just took another blow from that earthquake, which apparently ruined some vintners and will turn off a lot of "wine tourists" from visiting, which will hurt the economy in that area. Poor California is just getting hammered. 

So like what if you're doing it in your garden?  It's not like you're wasting the water then.

I'm not too sure about that, but it should be fine.  I think you only get fined for using water for water balloons and washing your car.  Stuff like that.  Then again, I'm not too informed about it and I live here :tongue:

I too live in SoCal. The drought has been all over the news the past couple of weeks. Apparently one town had its well dry up and people were completely without water and had to ration it. Hopefully we can get some rain in the upcoming months

Fining people for doing the ice bucket challenge?  That's really sad.  Sure wish somehow we could dump the flood waters in Burbank, IL over there.

The ice bucket challenge is a complete f***ing waste of good water and more likely to attract fad-humping attention whores than anything else. If you want to donate to the cause, then donate straight-up.

its just the impulse. it's the worst kind of giving. You could just send a check of ten bucks + to the ALS society and still be part of a good cause.

edit: and there are the idiots who do the ALS bucket challenge and don't donate at all because they have no idea what ALS is.

Edited by khdayskh1314