Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Posted Image

Now that the first anime episode of DragonBall Super has aired, I hearby open this official discussion thread. Here, we can talk about the anime, the manga, or any other related Super topics.

With that said, if none of you have read the first manga chapter, then feel free to take a look here.

Now then, for my thoughts on the first anime episode:

Echoing one of the tags for this thread:

THE KING HAS RETUUUUUUUURNNEEEEEEEDAAAAH.... ahem.

So yeah, I enjoyed this episode a lot. It wasn't anything too special, but boy did it just push the potential of this entire anime way up. Seeing things like Goten and Trunks's shenanigans (which combined with their goal to get Videl a present was just too darn cute), all the little one off jokes like the old man talking about the hot springs and Master Roshi coming out of nowhere in the end, Trunks beating the crap out of a giant snake, Mr. Buu and Mr. Satan, Goku training/working, Beerus half-destroying the pig-alien planet, just everything that happened was just... satisfying. There's nothing more I can say other than if things continue to go in this fastion, I am going to enjoy the flip out of every episode that comes out of Super. I guarantee it. :) #FarmerGoku #Beerus&Whis #Buu&Satan #TrunksvsSnake #GoodOlRoshi

Edited by Firaga Sensei

Well, didn't Beerus blow up half of that planet up? xD

But yeah, the first episode was very interesting. I really enjoyed every minute of it. And yeah, the end with Roshi was hilarious.

Any word on the dub? I'm tempted to start watching this but I just can't stand Goku's japanese voice actor lol.

Nope. You would think FUNimation would probably at least be streaming it, but I guess not.

And I suggest you get used to the Japanese voices because I don't think the whole "Goku's Japanese voice" argument really flies in 2015.

Nope. You would think FUNimation would probably at least be streaming it, but I guess not.

And I suggest you get used to the Japanese voices because I don't think the whole "Goku's Japanese voice" argument really flies in 2015.

That's odd. Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

It's just how I feel. I don't care if it "flies" these days or not.

It's just how I feel. I don't care if it "flies" these days or not.

Can you a least give it a chance? We have the whole... whatever amount of time remaining until an English dub arrives for the anime... with the original language as the go-to preference for Super. 

Can you a least give it a chance? We have the whole... whatever amount of time remaining until an English dub arrives for the anime... with the original language as the go-to preference for Super. 

Yeah, I might. Like I said I'm tempted to start watching. It's not like I hate Japanese voices in general because I prefer subs 90% of the time. DB is just one of those shows where I really prefer the dub.

Yeah, I might. Like I said I'm tempted to start watching. It's not like I hate Japanese voices in general because I prefer subs 90% of the time. DB is just one of those shows where I really prefer the dub.

I like DragonBall in dub too. I like dub in general.

But that doesn't mean that the original language has to get the shaft. Especially since there are a lot of talented, old school VAs on the cast list. The conception that the original audio is bad is just based on nostalgia for the original dub of DragonBall/DragonBall Z (which were borderline mediocre in comparison, in not just dubbing either...) and also because apparently Goku isn't allowed to have a high pitched voice, even though the decision for him to have a voice like that is reasonable if you truly understand his character, coupled by the fact that Masako Nozowa is a pure veteran of the industry.

The anime's awesome so far. I wish that an official streaming site had the rights, but as long as I can watch it, I'm happy.

I'm honestly not a big fan of them rewriting Battle of Gods so soon after its release, but aside from that minor complaint, I've loved everything so far. It definitely feels like a worthy successor to Dragon Ball! Can't wait until the Vegeta episode next week!

As for the manga, it's kind of weird that it's almost the same exact thing, with a couple differences. :/ I'll keep reading, although I'm not a big fan of having to get the same story twice a day, just with a few differences.

It was a good episode, even if nothing special happened. I'm not sure if I'll keep watching it on a week-by-week basis though as I really don't like the Japanese dub. I'm in the same boat as Elast0, Dragon Ball is one of the few anime that I have to watch in dub rather than sub.

Just watched the first episode and I'll say it was pretty good.  Nice humor and action (though I wish there was a little more, but it's the first episode so it's no big deal).  Looking forward to more.

Also,

That's right Hercule you give that money to Goku.

Edited by Ultimus Grid

I'm honestly not a big fan of them rewriting Battle of Gods so soon after its release, but aside from that minor complaint, I've loved everything so far. It definitely feels like a worthy successor to Dragon Ball! Can't wait until the Vegeta episode next week!

Now that I've had time to digest the idea (though it's still sort of up in the air) I can understand re-working BOG and 'F' into the main storyline from a writing perspective. As fun as BoG and 'F' are, it's kind of annoying that they, along with other events like the JSAT special have to be all "well, this takes place two year after the Buu Arc, and this takes place one year after that and then four years and five years and blah blah blah". So when you look back, you realize there are large gaps of time that basically have no relevance to each other and you wonder why these things just don't happen more close to one another. It would be better to have these events line up with each other more effectively from a storytelling perspective, especially if they are to be addressed directly in the anime instead of just a simple recap and then covering events that happen before/after. I mean, the current time-mark has us at 6 months after the end of Buu and BoG takes place four years after. Are we just going to skip ahead four years to when Beerus shows up on King Kai's planet? Was there nothing interesting that happened beforehand at all? lol

Edited by Firaga Sensei

Now that I've had time to digest the idea (though it's still sort of up in the air) I can understand re-working BOG and 'F' into the main storyline from a writing perspective. As fun as BoG and 'F' are, it's kind of annoying that they, along with other events like the JSAT special have to be all "well, this takes place two year after the Buu Arc, and this takes place one year after that and then four years and five years and blah blah blah". So when you look back, you realize there are large gaps of time that basically have no relevance to each other and you wonder why these things just don't happen more close to one another. It would be better to have these events line up with each other more effectively from a storytelling perspective, especially if they are to be addressed directly in the anime instead of just a simple recap and then covering events that happen before/after. I mean, the current time-mark has us at 6 months after the end of Buu and BoG takes place four years after. Are we just going to skip ahead four years to when Beerus shows up on King Kai's planet? Was there nothing interesting that happened beforehand at all? lol

That's true. It's just kind of annoying that after a couple years, BoG's not really canon anymore. Beerus was supposed to have slept until the beginning of the movie, while in this, he's clearly been awake for a while and just so happened to remember the prophecy as a side thing. I'm sure it'll all work out, it just kind of sucks that the movies are being rewritten so soon. It is true that this makes things more interesting, though.

That's true. It's just kind of annoying that after a couple years, BoG's not really canon anymore. Beerus was supposed to have slept until the beginning of the movie, while in this, he's clearly been awake for a while and just so happened to remember the prophecy as a side thing. I'm sure it'll all work out, it just kind of sucks that the movies are being rewritten so soon. It is true that this makes things more interesting, though.

In hindsight, they were sort of a mess in terms of how they link up with the actual story. Besides, we all know what happens in BoG and it's still obviously going to happen, so really, I think that's all that matters even if certain events are tweaked to fit Super. Plus there's nothing stopping anybody from just going back and watching BOG as it is... Wish I could say the same for 'F'. I neeeeeeeeeeed it.

In hindsight, they were sort of a mess in terms of how they link up with the actual story. Besides, we all know what happens in BoG and it's still obviously going to happen, so really, I think that's all that matters even if certain events are tweaked to fit Super. Plus there's nothing stopping anybody from just going back and watching BOG as it is... Wish I could say the same for 'F'. I neeeeeeeeeeed it.

Yeah, I know it's just minor changes. I'm not as opposed to it as I was before, but it's still kinda strange. August can't come any sooner ;_;

Yeah, I know it's just minor changes. I'm not as opposed to it as I was before, but it's still kinda strange. August can't come any sooner ;_;

This was probably an idea that was circulating in the grapevine with TOEI and Akira Toriyama sometime after BoG and before 'F' considering how abrupt it feels when grouping it in with how BoG and 'F' were conceptualized.

Wait hold up. 

...I had no idea that BoG and RoF were basically re-written out of canon into Super. I thought Super was taking place in between BoG and RoF. Why the hell has no one told me this before? O_O

EDIT: Ok, now that I've read the manga chapter rather than just my knowledge on the first episode, this apparently is confirmed, but I didn't know til now since Beerus never mentioned SSJG in the anime episode.

Also, wow them differences. I'm glad the Anime episode added that Goten/Trunks wedding gift quest, the chapter by itself felt a bit lacking without that little something extra IMO, but it was still good. (alsolovingthewaymangabeeruslooksbutipreferanimebeerus)  

Edited by Reyn

Wait hold up.

...I had no idea that BoG and RoF were basically re-written out of canon into Super. I thought Super was taking place in between BoG and RoF. Why the hell has no one told me this before? O_O

EDIT: Ok, now that I've read the manga chapter rather than just my knowledge on the first episode, this apparently is confirmed, but I didn't know til now since Beerus never mentioned SSJG in the anime episode.

Also, wow them differences. I'm glad the Anime episode added that Goten/Trunks wedding gift quest, the chapter by itself felt a bit lacking without that little something extra IMO, but it was still good. (alsolovingthewaymangabeeruslooksbutipreferanimebeerus)

Nobody really knows what's going with BoG and 'F' in Super at the moment. All we know is that possibly, they will be re-done to fit Super's story and the overall storyline of DragonBall in some way. The episodes (shown here) reveal the episodes following this week's episode will cover events taken from BoG. Again, we still don't know how this will be handled exactly. It could either be a more recap-ish version of the movie or an entirely new sequence of events inspired by the movie. 'F' could possibly go in either of those two directions as well. For now, all we can do is speculate.

Also, the manga's purpose seems to just be an advert for the more fleshed out anime, considering the first chapter premiered a full week before the first anime episode and merely teased a small portion of events that happened in said episodes. Plus, it's interesting to see things that don't happen or are not mentioned in the anime. It allows a different perspective and maybe even signs of things to come because, again, advert.

Episode 2 is out, and here are my thoughts:

Somebody make a meme of Vegeta no-selling that entire sequence on the Capsule Corp. jet please. lol

Like last week's episode, nothing much really happened, but it was still very enjoyable. Vegeta's vacation with Bulma and Trunks (and I like how it was tied into Vegeta's promise to take Trunks to an amusement park back in the Buu Arc) was enjoyable on both a comedic and general fluff level. Also, I can tell that the scene where he's asked to get up on the party stage and dance might be foreshadowing for a certain thing he does later on... hmm...

On the flip side, something that peaked my interest last week, the fight with Beerus and the Cavealien was great. I especially loved seeing things like the overall design of the Minon aliens, the alien dinosaur, Whis being able to talk in the Minion language, and the fight in general. It reminded me a lot of the one-shot fight Goku had with the Bear Bandit that tried to eat Turtle. lol

Next week has me especially hyped though, because I of course love seeing my man Krillin interact with his family.

#VegetaGivesNofiretrucks #DanceVegetaDance #PoorKingKai #BeerusVSCavealien #SuperSaiyanGod