Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Firaga

TV "The Powerpuff Girls" [2016 Reboot]

Never thought I'd make a thread like this before, but hey, why not? I don't really talk about cartoons all that often on the forums anyway.

Anyways: I started watching the new PPG cartoon this week. I've seen the three mini-shorts, the first episode that aired on CN on Monday, and the one 15 minute segment that aired yesterday. I say that because I know there was a pilot leaked online for an episode called "Man Up" which I have not seen and won't see until it officially airs this Friday.

As for what I've seen so far: I actually really enjoyed it. Is it exactly like the old cartoon? Yes and no. Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not.

I mean, the former should be pretty obvious to be honest. This is a reboot after all, and wasn't/isn't marketed directly towards hardcore fans of the original cartoon. It's for casual and/or potential new fans of the series as well, but at the same time still shares the same aesthetics and core structure that the original possessed. The humor I will admit is mostly different and is catered towards a more modern audience, but that's okay because I still found it be clever, properly set up, and overall humorous, while still carrying the same spirit that the humor of the original. The main three girls are all pretty much the same too, only slightly modified in certain behaviors due to now being slightly older and being in elementary school instead of just kindergarten, which is understandable. You seeing a pattern yet? Overall, the show is different, but in a good way. Unlike something akin to Teen Titans Go!, the show acknowledges that it has an older fanbase as well as people who have never seen the original and appeals to both while at the same time giving respect to where it came from.

And yes, it is in fact a million times better than TTG ... not that being better than TTG is a hart feat to accomplish, but still.

One last side note that only really pertains to itself: the show has managed to do something that feels unnecessarily complicated to pull off, especially for a reboot, and that's incorporating a modern setting and doing it well, and by modern setting, I of course mean incorporating smart phones and computers and the like. I know there's a mentality present where incorporating modern elements such as those leaves a bad impression and just makes the show seem tacky or pandering, and I understand it, but believe it or not, it can be done right, and PPG'16 does it right. It doesn't emphasize the fact that the girls each have smart phones, the hotline phone is a smart phone now, or that Bubbles used a YouTube-esque site to start a beauty vlog at one point, it's just there. Which is fine because tech is just there in our lives as well and we don't call attention to it all the same. Again, this is a modern cartoon for a modern audience, and regardless about how you feel about it, we live in a society where technology is prominently used in everyday life. There's nothing being taken away from the core aspects of the show, it's just set in an appropriate time setting and reflects the trends of the time without using it as a crutch to appeal to its audience by having the girls constantly talking selfies or using "duck lips".

I've pretty much got my points across. So if you have any thoughts about the new cartoon, please leave your thoughts below.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

On demand usually takes about a week though.

Not with my service. But if that's still not the case, at the very least you can catch the three shorts, they've been up for some time.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

I too think its better than TTG. One of my only complaints is it's lack of Tara Strong. By the way, young Twilight Sparkle sounds like Bubbles now. Don't believe me, then watch Amending Fences.

Also, The Stayover reminds me of an episode of Sonic Boom.

Honestly, when I heard there was going to be a new series, my first thought was that it was going to be horrible considering the other stuff that CN has on (the Pokemon anime being the only likable show). I'm glad to hear it's way better the train wreak known as TTG, which makes me actually interested in seeing this show. And this is coming from someone who was 8/9 when the original came out.

You have your opinion, I have mine. Let's agree to disagree.

I disagree with agreeing to disagree.

In all seriousness, that didn't mean anything so don't worry about it.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

Just watched the first 2 episodes and I really enjoyed it, as someone who grew up with the old show I think this it's a great reboot and hope it gets decent number of episodes

Edited by FlyingEggplant

FRIGGIN' MEEEEEEEEEMES!

In all seriousness, while this was a... strange... joke to use, the backlash alone in this one video's comment section is f*cking disgusting. One God damn joke and people are running for the hills and claiming that their childhood has been ruined. Even I'm sure most of them have been following the show since its inception. Ugh. 

Edited by Firaga Sensei

Oh, so this show is a reboot and not a sequel, eh?  Hmm, most interesting! :3

I remember watching the Powerpuff Girls back when I was a kid!  Ah, good times!  But I never watched the whole series, due to the fact that I had cable television, and as such, the Episodes given were at random!  I think I'll watch the old show first before watching the reboot, ya know?

But wow, nice analysis on the show, it definitely sounds interesting! :D

Edited by The Transcendent Key

Honestly the only bad things are the memes, the show trying to be "hip and cool", the cheap animation and not to mention the HORRENDOUS twerking scene.
Other than that some episodes are good in my opinion, like the Princess Morbucks episode.
They just need to put more effort into their animation and learn a bit or two from the classic series, and I'm fine with the voice actors. Although the original three not being contacted seemed pretty sketchy, these new VAs do just fine in my opinion.

Edited by North Winter

Honestly the only bad things are the memes, the show trying to be "hip and cool", the cheap animation and not to mention the HORRENDOUS twerking scene.
Other than that some episodes are good in my opinion, like the Princess Morbucks episode.
They just need to put more effort into their animation and learn a bit or two from the classic series, and I'm fine with the voice actors. Although the original three not being contacted seemed pretty sketchy, these new VAs do just fine in my opinion.
Even though I'm still of the mind that people are overreacting over things like the "No Me Gusta" thing and that twerking bit that barely lasted a few frames, geez, I do believe there are elements of the show that are trying too hard to appease a certain demographic. It's basically just typical "reboot" problems.

I don't even think they need to borrow more from the original cartoon. They've built up a decent stucture just by what they've established so far. They just need to stick the pros and fix the cons.

EDIT: (7/4/16)

A while back, a couple of reviewers on YouTube did a breakdown of the first chunk of episodes for the show (up to episode 13). I didn't necessarily agree with everything they said, especially concerning the show's tone and "identity", but they still made a lot of valid points regardless. Edited by Firaga Sensei