Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Leamax

Aqua's story "A Piece of Cake", Terra's story "Dark and Void", and Ventus' story "Fragments of the World": Kingdom Hearts Series Character Files translations

The Kingdom Hearts Series Character Files has received more story translations. These translations are courtesy of goldpanner and provided by Kingdom Hearts Insider.

For those unaware, the Kingdom Hearts Series Character Files features over 200 characters from the entirety of the series thus far, with several short stories from Tomoco Kanemaki (the writer of the Kingdom Hearts light novels).

You can purchase the book for ¥3,080 (approx. $28.03) from the Square Enix e-Store directly or from AitaiKuji, who deliver official and exclusive Japanese pop culture items!

We have covered translations for:

The translations for Aqua's story "A Piece of Cake", Terra's story "Dark and Void", and Ventus' story "Fragments of the World" can be viewed below!

Aqua’s Story

A Piece of Cake

<3<3<3 

When I was in the darkness, I'd think back to those peaceful days of training, when we were protected by our Master. I was calm and content during the time spent training alone with Terra, but I feel Ven's arrival added a different kind of warmth.

Ven held his wooden sword in his left hand. 

"Yes, that's the defense stance. There's no offense without a good defense."

The Master was giving Ven lessons as Terra and I faced off nearby, hearing without listening. The sound of clashing wooden swords, breaths getting ragged, pattering sweat, the Master's voice. 

"Master! How about we take a break?" I directed this at everyone with a smile. That day I baked… oh yes, a preserved strawberry tart. The Master's favorite. "Ven, come help me get the tea ready."

Back then, it hadn't been long since Ven had woken up, and it seemed like he wasn't entirely there. He didn't reply when spoken to, and he never smiled. He could follow instructions, and it was obvious he had held a sword before. 

He didn't wake up properly until a practice match with Terra. 

"You're trying too hard to move your body. You need to learn to let your body move you. Right?"

Terra raised his wooden sword. Of all the imitation Keyblades he had made, this was the best by far. He even carved his name into it. 

He stood up, and cleared his throat. 

“In your hand, take this blade. And so long as you have the makings, then through this simple act of taking, it's wielder you shall one day be made."

He raised the Keyblade, mimicking the Rite of Succession.

"Being a Keyblade Master is all I've dreamed about."

"Well, you're not the only one," I corrected. It was our dream—our goal. 

Terra knelt in front of Ven, holding out the wooden Keyblade. 

"I know. You, me, and Ven all share the same dream. Here, Ven, this is for you."

Ven reached out silently and gripped the wooden Keyblade. It seemed as though he was smiling faintly, the first time I'd ever seen it. 

"Huh? Then what are you going to use, Terra?" 

"I'll take the one Ven was using for now. Then I'll make a new one."

Terra took the wooden sword Ven had been using, and ruffled his blond hair with the other hand. 

"Isn't that nice, Ven?" 

"...Thank you."

Those were Ven's first words. 

"Ven!" Terra and I cried out in near unison. 

"What's with you two?" Ven looked back and forth between us, puzzled. I pulled him into a hug automatically. Terra continued to ruffle his hair from beside us. "Stop it, Terra, Aqua. Come on already—I'm not a baby, okay!" 

We looked at each other, and burst out laughing. It drew an embarrassed laugh out of Ven.

It was the first time the three of us had ever laughed together. 

And then, after a long, long journey, we've returned home.

I understand now that this land—and Master Eraqus—protected us. The Master was always with us.

I wonder, can we ever return to those peaceful days? Yes, I'm sure we can, if we create them.

"Terra, Ven! Let's have some tea," I call out. Just like me, they’ve completed long journeys. We’ve come home together.

"Terra?"

A sliver of worry creeps in. Terra hasn't said anything. But, then he turns to me.

"...I'd like some cake," he says, "so long as it's not sweet."

That's right. I'd like to bake something. I haven't done that in a long time. "Galactic Caramel Pound Cake, then. I haven't made that in ages."

"I want a preserved strawberry tart," says Ven.

"The Master loved that one… and Terra didn't," I say with a smile.

We've lost our Master, but we aren't alone.

The three of us will go stargazing again.

We'll look for shooting stars.

We'll never be apart again. 

Terra’s Story

Dark and Void

<3<3<3

It was darkness.

Just darkness.

Well, no, not even darkness.

If Aqua sank into the Realm of Darkness, then where had I been? Did I even exist? I’m sure I… Yeah, I know I existed. But I have no idea where I was. I was imprisoned behind Xehanort, but my consciousness—my heart—was sealed away. So, where was my heart?

It wasn’t in the darkness, so maybe it was just in a world of “nothingness”. A world without Darkness or Light. You can’t have light without darkness and you can’t have darkness without light. It was somewhere like that.

I wasn’t asleep like Ven was. It wasn’t the Realm of Sleep—I wasn’t dreaming, I was just in a world of nothingness. And that void became pain and sorrow and anger that rushed over me. All I could do is writhe in its grasp. Maybe that place was like the world where Unversed came from. A void that only takes in grief and suffering. A world where hope and joy could never exist.

The void was like the darkness, but also not. Nothing could spring forth from there. And all I could do in that world is wait. I can no longer remember what I thought, what I did, in that world; I just waited. No, that’s not quite right. I believed. In our promise.

Even now, I still think about it. About whether the power of darkness is really so detestable. I mean, right before my eyes is that boy I entrusted the Keyblade to, all grown up, and he controls the darkness while still being part of the light. So, why wasn’t I able to?

And then there was the heart that nestled close to mine. There, it continued to quietly encourage me. If he hadn’t been there, I wouldn’t be here now, standing in front of his grave.

Master, did you forgive me? Or maybe I haven’t been forgiven yet and I’m only still here so I can atone? I know there are no answers to my questions and no one has to forgive me for my sins. Even entertaining the thought of being forgiven is so presumptuous of me. A weakness.

“Terra, Ven! Let’s have tea.”

Aqua smiled brightly and Ven turned to look at me. Those two have probably forgiven me. But I still can’t forgive myself.

“Terra?”

Aqua peered up at me, looking slightly anxious. I was careful not to sigh, but exhaled softly, and then I smiled.

“...You know, I wouldn’t mind cake if it’s not too sweet.”

“It has been a while since I made a Galactic Caramel pound cake.”

“I want strawberry jam tarts!” Ven grinned up at Aqua.

“Those were the Master’s favorites—although Terra never liked them much.”

Aqua laughed softly, and then her face fell slightly.

From now on, we’ll always carry the burden of grieving for our master.

But we’re not alone.

The three of us can look up at the night sky once more.

We can look for falling stars.

And from now on, we’ll always be together.

Ventus’ Story

Fragments of the World

<3<3<3

I really didn't remember anything.

A part of me has always been missing. It's because of what Xehanort did to me. That missing half is Vanitas—I already know that. I think a bunch of memories came back to me that time, but they feel like they belong to somebody else. I’m not sure what to make of it.

I have memories from before I woke up in front of Aqua and Terra, but they're hazy.

Aqua and Terra meant everything to me. I wanted to fight for their sakes. But, in the end I fell asleep, and the two of them fought for me instead. When I finally woke up, I felt like… there was a lot I never understood.

Maybe I still don't really understand.

But I do know that Aqua and Terra are by my side. That they're protecting me. And that because of this, I want to protect them too.

At this point, I'm used to not understanding things. Frankly, I don't even know what I don't know. I can’t shake the feeling that I’m still missing something. But then again, maybe it's just that I'm not understanding things and I'm actually not missing anything at all. But even that seems like it’s beyond me.

Just...put an end to me.

They didn't do it in the end. 

They couldn't. 

That's why I'm standing here now. When the χ-blade was formed, I thought I'd fade away with Vanitas. I still don't think that would have been wrong.

Maybe the Master knew more about the real me than he ever let on, all the things I don’t know about myself. But now he’s gone, so I guess we’ll never know.

"Terra, Ven! Let's have some tea," Aqua says with a smile. Her saying that here, at the Land of Departure, feels like being back in time. She'd bake cakes, the Master would eat them happily, Terra would grimace at the sweet ones, and I'd eat myself full because anything Aqua made was delicious and made me happy. 

We can't go back to those days, we have to keep moving forward. I turn to find Terra giving a pained smile, just like he used to.

"...I'd like some cake," he says, "so long as it's not sweet."

Aqua beams at him. "Galactic Caramel Pound Cake, then. I haven't made that in forever."

She's so strong, smiling like the old days.

"I want a preserved strawberry tart," I say. It's something our Master liked.

"The Master loved that one… and Terra didn't," Aqua says with a little smile. Her expression turns slightly sad.

In our hearts we carry sadness over our Master, and I know it won't fade for a long time. Whatever is missing from me most likely won't fill in for a long time yet either.

But, I'm not alone now.

I don't want to be alone any more.

The three of us will go stargazing again.

We'll look for shooting stars.

We'll never be apart again.

View full article

On 3/5/2020 at 8:05 AM, ocean's rage said:

what's the deal with all these character stories?

I believe these short stories for Aqua, Terra, and Ven were in the Birth by Sleep light novel since I have seen Aqua's story in the Birth by Sleep light novel.