Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
VisitJoan

TV The Legend of Korra

Came across this while browsing Tumblr:

"I have a feeling that a lot of long time Avatar fans are going to absolutely despise this week’s Korra episode for one reason and one reason alone: it dares to make Aang, retroactively, just as fallible and flawed as the rest of the people who populate both series’ universe. He may have been a great avatar, but he was a lousy father to everyone except Tenzin, with Bumi and Kya clearly having suffered from the lack of a loving father when they were all younger."

So what do you guys think?  I don't think that's a good reason to hate the episode.  Aang may have been the avatar, but he's also human and has flaws like everyone else.  Let's not forget how the series even started: Aang ran away and got himself frozen in ice for 100 years.  If that's not flawed, I don't know what is.

I think that's a problem that Avatar fans have: they like to think Aang is some angel who never did anything wrong in the first series. I think it's a good thing that what happened in this episode happened. It's a good eye-opener.

I haven't seen the new episode, but I've always known that Aang isn't perfect (as you pointed out, everything did start with his selfishness), and that's one of my favorite things about him. He had flaws, and did his best to be a good Avatar despite them.

Korra, on the other hand, has been made into some kind of perfect Avatar who fixes everything simply by punching it. Seriously though, she hasn't had to grow as a character at all. 

To be honest it really pained me to hear Bumi and Kya talk about their pain. But at the same time I kind of understand- not so much the almost abandonment- but the temptation. He was the Avatar as well as the last airbender until Tenzin. The two combined put pressure on him. It would be nice to have the tree syblings adress this with Korra some time during the course of the series so she does not make the same mistake!!!

Korra, on the other hand, has been made into some kind of perfect Avatar who fixes everything simply by punching it. Seriously though, she hasn't had to grow as a character at all. 

I think she'll have to grow a bit in this season though - with the ending of the ep and all.

I mean what kind of *hole arests his brother and sister-in-law who also happen to be the parents of the girl he's training?  He did not think that through.

I'm not going to lie

hearing about Aang's fathering skills felt very weird. I guess the original series just spent so much time building him up as a great person, it's just awkward to hear anything particularly bad about him. I think they could definitely do something interesting with this, though.

Korra really does need to go through some character development this season. The whole hot headed act first, ask questions later schtick can only go for so long until it gets annoying.

Not sure why people are wondering if she will go under some character development, because the road the latest episode is going to, I can see it happening throughout the season. Already she's getting frustrated with being the Avatar, even though she doesn't plainly admit it. Maybe that's why she's acting more hot headed than ever. Also dat cliffhanger. 

Not sure why people are wondering if she will go under some character development, because the road the latest episode is going to, I can see it happening throughout the season. Already she's getting frustrated with being the Avatar, even though she doesn't plainly admit it. Maybe that's why she's acting more hot headed than ever. Also dat cliffhanger.

She's already torn in two different directions and now the whole ending thing?  It would be impossible for her not to at least think about what she's doing.

She's already torn in two different directions and now the whole ending thing? It would be impossible for her not to at least think about what she's doing.

Exactly, but again like I said, she's not admitting it. Even worse now in season 2 she has been exposed to more situations.

The bad

The court system reminds me of how corrupt it is just like the current one in America, but the way we saw it on that episode is just downright awful. Korra can't get it in her thick head that she has to be neutral, she can't lead a war, or be apart of it, as the avatar she needs to prevent it, or stop it when it happens therefor still making her clueless of her avatar duties. I didn't see a lot of bad in this episode which is good.

The good

Tenzin is really trying to spend time with his family, making sure that everyone has a good time, and seeing the old family picture was a good sight to see, I really like seeing Aang and katara look happy with their kids. Korra may still be kind of clueless but she is trying to take charge now, she no longer puts her problems on mako and that's great to see. Korra went to the source of the problem and found out the real reason her father got banished. The episode was pretty fast paced a lot more than part one, which I can't wait to see how the next episode turns out to be. And of course brolin brings a lot of laughters to the show, idk if I could watch it without him.

All in all Korra needs to learn how to be a step ahead instead of behind, I'm sure she will learn as the season progresses.

I give this episode an 8.5/10

+Fast paced

+Korra taking charge

+Less predictable

+Tenzin spending time with his family

+old family photo of Aang, and katara

+brolin

-Korra one step behind

-Court system

-Korra not realizing avatar duties

Yeah, but it's too bad she got played.

You mean by Unalaq? Yeah it is too bad, but I kinda saw that coming though. I'm glad she is slowly but surely learning from her mistakes as well. I thought she would have already been through this phase after everything that went down in season 1, but she's learning!

You mean by Unalaq? Yeah it is too bad, but I kinda saw that coming though. I'm glad she is slowly but surely learning from her mistakes as well. I thought she would have already been through this phase after everything that went down in season 1, but she's learning!

I knew he was playing her from the first episode.  I would never have guessed that business guy though.

I knew he was playing her from the first episode.  I would never have guessed that business guy though.

Oh yeah! Varrick being a bad guy was a big shocker! He was such a big source of alot of the comic relief, I would have never guessed they would take his character in this direction. I'm curious as to what his full motives are.

Oh yeah! Varrick being a bad guy was a big shocker! He was such a big source of alot of the comic relief, I would have never guessed they would take his character in this direction. I'm curious as to what his full motives are.

Money

That finale was amazing! I definitely feel like this book renewed my faith in Korra. The start was a little shaky, but it was still very enjoyable especially everything from "Beginnings" to the end!