Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Dio Brando

How I fell out of the Kingdom Hearts series-a recap of my personal experience with the franchise

I hope you realize this, but it's actually zero coincidence your opinion started and eventually changed when it did.

Your love for the series started to go down when Nomura got more involved with the story, Nojima was long gone and Watanabe's involvement went down until Watanabe had zero involvement.

I hope you realize this, but it's actually zero coincidence your opinion started and eventually changed when it did.

Your love for the series started to go down when Nomura got more involved with the story, Nojima was long gone and Watanabe's involvement went down until Watanabe had zero involvement.

Looking back at it I kinda realize it now,despite being in the same franchise,the difference in the writing style of KH1,2( and even Chain of Memories to an extent) and the later entries is night and day for me

Looking back at it I kinda realize it now,despite being in the same franchise,the difference in the writing style of KH1,2( and even Chain of Memories to an extent) and the later entries is night and day for me

Exactly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazushige_Nojima

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisuke_Watanabe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Nomura

I agree a lot with what you said here, especially the things you said about DDD. For me Kingdom Hearts was at it's best back in 2007 before all the side games started rolling in and making the plot more complicated than it needed to be.

I totally understand why you've decided to drop the series but aren't you at least curious to see how KH3 will wrap things up before you leave the franchise? I'm asking this because you said you have invested so much time on the plot.

Some fanboys don't understand that you can have some criticisms and still be a fan. You do not have to love every little thing and overlook and gloss over mistakes made by the series. However, a fan like myself will be willing to look past some of the aspects I disliked and still find enjoyment. As long as I am finding that enjoyment I will stick with the series.

I didn't like them adding Time Travel.

I did not like what Chi brought to the series - it's unneeded and unnecessary and watered down the plot even more.

I hate how Xehanort is presented like some almighty genius when really he's failed in every incarnation so far. He's just persistant - I'll give him that.

Most of the retcons I can deal with but others like the Xblade retcon annoyed me.

The nobodies have hearts retcon did not bother me bc really it's always been hinted from the very beginning that anything can grow a heart so it can work.

I feel bad for the fans who don't have the access to things like translated interviews bc so many vital plot points are explained in interviews, reports, and such and they miss a lot of important knowledge. IMHO this kind of info should always be presented well in game.

KH3 is coming and hopefully it will resolve some plot issues and answer our burning questions.

Despite what I said above,I'm still gonna buy and play KH3 cuz I have to see things through to the end.Hopefully KH3 might bring me back but I don't have much hope

I respect your opinion, but for some reason, the plot for the kh games didn't really annoy me until I tried to think what happened in all of the games including DDD all at once. I try not to think hard about the plot because I'll only get frustrated. Not saying I hate the plot in kingdom hearts though. The storyline in the kingdom hearts games encouraged me to look for more lore throughout the gaming series by playing the handheld games. I was able to understand the plot for 358/2 days well. For recoded I understood it even better when 2.5 came out because they turned recoded into a movie. For DDD, I actually had a kind hard time understanding the plot in that game because of the recons and the unexpecteding plot twists in the game. The beginning of the game was quite easy to understand, but near the end of the game, I had trouble figuring out what was happening. 

Edited by Luke Fon Fabre

I agree a lot with what you said here, especially the things you said about DDD. For me Kingdom Hearts was at it's best back in 2007 before all the side games started rolling in and making the plot more complicated than it needed to be.

I totally understand why you've decided to drop the series but aren't you at least curious to see how KH3 will wrap things up before you leave the franchise? I'm asking this because you said you have invested so much time on the plot.

I'll pick up KH3 cuz after all I have to see this through to the end ^_^

Honestly, I love Kingdom Hearts and its complicated plot. You have your opinion, I have mine.

It's not the matter of it being complicated cuz if you know me,I love complex stories like the Metal Gear series,Neon Genesis Evangelion and the Shin Megami Tensei franchise(including Persona)

I'm more talking about my gripes with the writing not me hating complicated plots

Smash Mega Koopa, we've had an argument about FFXIII in the past, but this time I completely agree with you. My story is very similar to yours, honestly, the only difference is that my hype started with Days (although I played KH1 before it, but I didn't like it because I was too young) and ended with 2.8.

If you want me to be completely honest, what happened to you with FFXIII could have happened to me, but I left no time gap between the games, so I didn't grow impatient or speculate from one to another, so I didn't find it bad at all, unlike KH, wereas I made endless theories, much, much before joining the site, and were crushed with DDD (not right after playing, but rather a year after, thinking about the whole plot xD).

Anyways, as people have said, KH had its years, back in 2007, with KH2FM+, although I absolutely love Days, the game that introduced me into the series, and just like you, plot-wise I like it (I actually consider it magnificent), but gameplay-wise...

I completely agree with your opinion (and DemyxIsBest's rant too xD)!

Edited by Xamtehwt MC (Trece)

I agree with you on pretty much all of what you said. Recently my view of the series as a whole has dropped a lot thanks to the newest games. I'd say if the original series had been KH1, CoM and KH2 that would have been a pretty solid trilogy. But no, the other games had to come out. 

Days - was fairly harmless to the story, but pretty pointless considering Nomura had to come up with a plot device (Xion) to justify the games existence.

BBS - had potential to bring the story back full circle with the origin story of Apprentice Xehanort, previously mentioned in KH2 so it's not as if he would have come out of nowhere and we see (in that scene from Hollow Bastion from KH2) that Sora does feel anger towards him for harming him and his friends so there's a seed for the motivation to grow as well. Apprentice Xehanort could have been built up as the main villain for KH3, thus keeping with the theme of Apprentice Xehanort being the antagonist throughout the series in some way (i.e. Ansem in KH1, Xemnas in KH2, Apprentice Xehanort in KH3)

Re:Coded - This game wasn't damaging to the story, but wow it was pretty meh. It just meandered around and it never seemed to end. It could have been a better game if it had either been Mickey's own game or featured the real Sora. The Re:Coded movie actually showed some genuine interaction between Data Sora and his friends, something we don't see too often outside of the typical "My friends are my power" speeches, which is just a blanket statement with little value, now that it's seemingly become Sora's battle cry. These scenes loose value when you remember "Oh right this isn't even the real Sora. It's just data." Then to top it all off, when we actually learn what Mickey wrote in his letter we see that it's just a poor attempt to reaffirm that BBS totally doesn't stick out of the series like a sore thumb and it was obviously the real climax of the overall series. "Everything in your journey has been leading to this!" Right, Mickey. Nice shoehorning. 

DDD - The black sheep of the series, imo. The story is bonkers. The majority of things in it just feel forced or out of place. Why do Sora and Riku need to take the Mark of Mastery when they have proven themselves skilled fighters on numerous occasions? Why is time travel a thing? Why is Sora penalized in the end because he fell into a trap that was placed in a test given to him by Yen Sid? Why does this even happen considering it'll be remedied by the beginning of KH3? Why does Lea get a keyblade? Why is Lea still here? Why is Sora suddenly more of an idiot than usual? Why are Dream Eaters a thing? Why does Riku still mope about falling to the darkness when it was implied he had gotten over in by the end of KH2? Why do Roxas and Namie suddenly deserve to be their own selves? Wasn't Sora ok with them merging back into him and Kairi at the end of KH2? I guess you could say he had a change of.....heart? Bottom line, DDD is where the story just collapses under it's own weight and one can only imagine how Nomura expects to clean up the mess in KH3 without hitting the reset button and retconing everything else.

Chi - At first I let it slide, thinking it was a harmless online browser game with no relevance to the story, but oh no. Nomura, in his neverending quest to connect every KH game together, began to add in plot devices like the Foretellers and the Tomb of Prophecy just to set up more plot points in KH3. It all feels so far removed from anything the original KH trilogy dealt with and now we just have to accept that it's a part of the series now. 

That's my rant of the series so far. I'll be playing KH3 just to get some closure on all this nonsense and after that who knows. I may stick around to see if he actually decides to plan the story out this time rather than writing it as he goes. If not, I'll just pretend the only cannon games are KH, CoM and KH2 and replay those to infinity.

I agree with you on pretty much all of what you said. Recently my view of the series as a whole has dropped a lot thanks to the newest games. I'd say if the original series had been KH1, CoM and KH2 that would have been a pretty solid trilogy. But no, the other games had to come out. 

Days - was fairly harmless to the story, but pretty pointless considering Nomura had to come up with a plot device (Xion) to justify the games existence.

BBS - had potential to bring the story back full circle with the origin story of Apprentice Xehanort, previously mentioned in KH2 so it's not as if he would have come out of nowhere and we see (in that scene from Hollow Bastion from KH2) that Sora does feel anger towards him for harming him and his friends so there's a seed for the motivation to grow as well. Apprentice Xehanort could have been built up as the main villain for KH3, thus keeping with the theme of Apprentice Xehanort being the antagonist throughout the series in some way (i.e. Ansem in KH1, Xemnas in KH2, Apprentice Xehanort in KH3)

Re:Coded - This game wasn't damaging to the story, but wow it was pretty meh. It just meandered around and it never seemed to end. It could have been a better game if it had either been Mickey's own game or featured the real Sora. The Re:Coded movie actually showed some genuine interaction between Data Sora and his friends, something we don't see too often outside of the typical "My friends are my power" speeches, which is just a blanket statement with little value, now that it's seemingly become Sora's battle cry. These scenes loose value when you remember "Oh right this isn't even the real Sora. It's just data." Then to top it all off, when we actually learn what Mickey wrote in his letter we see that it's just a poor attempt to reaffirm that BBS totally doesn't stick out of the series like a sore thumb and it was obviously the real climax of the overall series. "Everything in your journey has been leading to this!" Right, Mickey. Nice shoehorning. 

DDD - The black sheep of the series, imo. The story is bonkers. The majority of things in it just feel forced or out of place. Why do Sora and Riku need to take the Mark of Mastery when they have proven themselves skilled fighters on numerous occasions? Why is time travel a thing? Why is Sora penalized in the end because he fell into a trap that was placed in a test given to him by Yen Sid? Why does this even happen considering it'll be remedied by the beginning of KH3? Why does Lea get a keyblade? Why is Lea still here? Why is Sora suddenly more of an idiot than usual? Why are Dream Eaters a thing? Why does Riku still mope about falling to the darkness when it was implied he had gotten over in by the end of KH2? Why do Roxas and Namie suddenly deserve to be their own selves? Wasn't Sora ok with them merging back into him and Kairi at the end of KH2? I guess you could say he had a change of.....heart? Bottom line, DDD is where the story just collapses under it's own weight and one can only imagine how Nomura expects to clean up the mess in KH3 without hitting the reset button and retconing everything else.

Chi - At first I let it slide, thinking it was a harmless online browser game with no relevance to the story, but oh no. Nomura, in his neverending quest to connect every KH game together, began to add in plot devices like the Foretellers and the Tomb of Prophecy just to set up more plot points in KH3. It all feels so far removed from anything the original KH trilogy dealt with and now we just have to accept that it's a part of the series now. 

That's my rant of the series so far. I'll be playing KH3 just to get some closure on all this nonsense and after that who knows. I may stick around to see if he actually decides to plan the story out this time rather than writing it as he goes. If not, I'll just pretend the only cannon games are KH, CoM and KH2 and replay those to infinity.

The handheld games are like the Star Wars prequels in a way ironically in that regard xD

Edited by Smash Mega Koopa

You raise a few good points here, Smash, and wow, I have to say, you've had quite the experience with the Kingdom Hearts series, huh? :D  I like how you detailed everything about your experience, it really gave me insight into how you perceived the games as you played them! :)

Honestly, in my opinion, the only thing I'm really bothered with is the retcon of how the X-Blade is forged.  In Birth By Sleep, it's stated that it takes one heart of pure light and one heart of pure darkness to forge the X-Blade and bring about Kingdom Hearts, but KH3D suggests that the true way to go about this is gathering seven lights and thirteen darknesses to forge the X-Blade!  If Xehanort had stated that there were two methods of forging the X-Blade instead of one, then this wouldn't be a problem, ya know?

But yeah, I love the Kingdom Hearts series, warts and all.  It'll always be a beloved series to me, and it will always be my favorite video game series of all time! :D

You raise a few good points here, Smash, and wow, I have to say, you've had quite the experience with the Kingdom Hearts series, huh? :D  I like how you detailed everything about your experience, it really gave me insight into how you perceived the games as you played them! :)

Honestly, in my opinion, the only thing I'm really bothered with is the retcon of how the X-Blade is forged.  In Birth By Sleep, it's stated that it takes one heart of pure light and one heart of pure darkness to forge the X-Blade and bring about Kingdom Hearts, but KH3D suggests that the true way to go about this is gathering seven lights and thirteen darknesses to forge the X-Blade!  If Xehanort had stated that there were two methods of forging the X-Blade instead of one, then this wouldn't be a problem, ya know?

But yeah, I love the Kingdom Hearts series, warts and all.  It'll always be a beloved series to me, and it will always be my favorite video game series of all time! :D

That's fine and dandy......like cotton candy ^_^

In fact I need to clarify something,sure I fell out of the series as of right now,but I still love and adore KH1 and KH2 to death.Those two are still on my top 10 favorite games and I still replay them a lot,sure I still love games like Persona 3 and Persona 4 waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than them but still doesn't change the fact that I still love them a lot

Let's not forget... All the doors and Kingdom Hearts that appeared. KH1, KH2 and BBS

BBS: A special Kingdom Hearts... :dry: Seriously

I don't want to complain realy about the Kingdom Hearts itself and yes KH3 will have the real Kingdom Hearts but I kinda hoped we got to see the true Kingdom Hearts long ago

Edited by AwesomeKHfan

That's fine and dandy......like cotton candy ^_^

In fact I need to clarify something,sure I fell out of the series as of right now,but I still love and adore KH1 and KH2 to death.Those two are still on my top 10 favorite games and I still replay them a lot,sure I still love games like Persona 3 and Persona 4 waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than them but still doesn't change the fact that I still love them a lot

Yeah, I get what you mean.  Just like everyone else, you have your favorite KH installments, and that's just fine! Let's see if Kingdom Hearts III ends up being another favorite to add to your list! :D (And off topic, I've wanted to play the Persona games, because I've heard from many people here and read on many different occasions that the games are beast!)

I agree with everything you said. BBS kinda made me facepalm a little, but DDD's 100% "Nope, all that BS no longer stands, we're doing this thing over here now" was completely aggrivating.

That, and literally trying to piece the story as a whole together. It falls apart after DAYS.