Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
lizzie1238

This is crazy!

Okay, so I was playing a demo of Uncharted 2 that I had downloaded, since I heard it was a good series. My dad walked by, saw that there were guns, and told me I should not be playing it. This is a game I have a RIGHT to play. It's rated T!

I tried to ask my parents why I couldn't play it, but my dad just said I couldn't play any games involving guns. I don't get it. What's so bad? It's not like playing games is going to make me a criminal! He even called the game gory, when I didn't even see any blood!

Everyone I know is allowed to play whatever they want. I've always wanted to try games like Assassin's Creed and Skyrim, but my parents would never let me play anything M-rated. But no one else's parents give a $hit! Heck, my little brother's 8 and 9 year old friends play Call of Duty.

How can I convince my parents that I should be allowed to play whatever I want, or at the very least, T-rated games that may happen to involve guns (like Uncharted)?

My parents said that they control what I play since I live in their house. But if when I turn 17 and I'm legally allowed to buy any game, and they still get mad at me for playing it, that will be even more insane. My parents aren't even that strict, I don't know why they're like this about games.

Edited by lizzie1238

tutti frutti. Tell them that you're learning survival skills. I played all three Uncharted games, and to a degree you kind of learn some survival techniques in the games. No offense by this Lizzie, but that's one of the things I'v never really understood with some parents. They let some of their kids play M-Rated games, but the moment they see guns they dub it as wrong.

Edited by zhill05

tutti frutti. Tell them that you're learning survival skills. I played all three Uncharted games, and to a degree you kind of learn some survival techniques in the games. No offense by this Lizzie, but that's one of the things I'v never really understood with some parents. They let some of their kids play M-Rated games, but the moment they see guns they dub it as wrong.

I don't think "survival skills" would convince my parents. When I tried to tell my dad that I should be allowed to play the game, he even threatened to take away all my games if I didn't shut up.

As a fellow child of an irrational parent, all I can say is that it may be best to just roll with the punches.

The best defense I can come up with is a presentation showing that what you're trying to do isn't anything like what he's making it. Hell, my 75-year old grandfather (and retired Colonel) enjoyed watching my sister play Uncharted 3. My entire family loves it, mostly because of the wonderful stories and character interactions. The biggest thing about Uncharted is the human element of discovery, not the gunplay. These are the things that need to be communicated.

I feel you, parents can be a pain in the ass about this stuff while others allow their 8 year old sons to play games like MW3 .. it's stupid but try and build them up to it, I assume you watch action movies so there's not much of a difference if it's a game. well good luck!

If he lets you watch movies involving guns and read books involving guns then maybe you could use that to convice him, since video games are just another entertainment medium. That, or he'll stop letting you see the movies as well, lol

Well I don't really understand these North American ratings. But it's obvious your dad doesn't want you playing it. Ask if you can when your 16.

I can play any video game I want.

If he lets you watch movies involving guns and read books involving guns then maybe you could use that to convice him, since video games are just another entertainment medium. That, or he'll stop letting you see the movies as well, lol

That's a good point about the movies. I might try that :)

Ask your father for any specific reasons why he doesn't want you to play games with guns. Then address his concerns by saying that you are old enough to realize the fact that you are responsible for your actions.

I tried to convince my parents again, but it didn't work and they said they didn't want to talk about it anymore. It's impossible trying to convince them because they don't agree with anything I say and don't let me talk by threatening to take away all my games! I guess it's pointless. One of the many reasons I can't wait to leave home.

I feel your pain when I was younger i used to play like Call of Duty and all that stuff and I wanted Grand Theft Auto...i pleaded and begged but they would never give me it so I finally proved a point that if im playing those other things with such gore,language and such why cant I get this? So they finally got it for me xD Not exactly the same problem but hey with me I dont give a god damn hell what my parents think they can do! It's my life and I do what I want :P

Edited by Libirica

Dang that sucks. You could try telling them it's just digital so the guns aren't gonna make you more violent because of this. After all it's just meant for entertainment. Not to make kids criminals. I think they'd be in some deep shit if that were the truth.

I just go to my aunts house and play them xD (rearrange cases and disks) but my parents seem to be letting loose

The media's been so negative towards video games ever since those shootings; I'm guessing they're just reacting because of that.  My grandma's also horrified by video games, and thinks simple stuff like Super Here Squad is too "dark," heheh.

I don't know what to say about your parents and convincing them.  In my experience, trying to negotiate with parents is simply a lost cause.  I guess try to be patient, and keep trying to diplomatically explain that the game isn't that violent; perhaps even offer to show them more of the gameplay so they can properly assess it.

Personally, I think as long as you're living with your parents, you do have to respect their wishes. They're obviously extremely anti-gun--so the best way to deal with this is probably not to yell OH PLEASE LET ME PLAY, but to have a lively debate during dinner. Offer them the pro side of guns, so it starts turning in their minds. If you can get them to accept real guns, fake guns should be a cinch.