Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
CrystalRaine

English voice acting has been in progress since at least July 2014!

Hey folks, I was recently watching this Q&A at Florida Supercon July 2014 with Bill Farmer, the voice of Goofy, and he mentions in it that he's been recording lines for the 'third installment of the Kingdom Hearts series'. I know that a lot of people believed he was confused with 3D or the remixes when he mentioned it on Twitter, but the fact he specifically says 'third installment' is greatly reassuring to me. Add the fact that Haley Joel Osment believed voice acting would begin in the summer of 2014 at the earliest, and this is pretty convincing to me that voice acting has been in progress for at least a year.

Here's a link to the video, he briefly mentions KH3 at around 6:40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GstkokOsE

I remember there was a huge discussion on whether or not he was mistaken and actually just voiced lines for 2.5, but the dialogue in the trailer seems to point towards this being correct. If so...

Posted Image

Then there's still hope! Unlikely, given that Leonard Nimoy had already been diagnosed with COPD by July, but there's still hope!

Edited by Kaweebo

So they've been recording it in sections then? He said that he's going to be going in from time to time to record more lines. Maybe they're doing/did it so that they would made a certain number of cutscenes and call them in to record them rather than doing it all at once.

I feel like we're going to get a worldwide release, otherwise why would they've shown us a trailer with a cutscene that was synched to the English voices as well as release a Japanese version that had the same cutscene that was synched to those voices?

I feel like we're going to get a worldwide release, otherwise why would they've shown us a trailer with a cutscene that was synched to the English voices as well as release a Japanese version that had the same cutscene that was synched to those voices?

it's A cutscene though

literally a maybe a minute out of several hours

the trailer doesn't even have new voice clips for Sora

Yes it was a cutscene, but there'd be no point in doing that for only one cutscene. And they might not have placed the new voice clips in for Sora( I'm assuming you're referring to the things he says during battle) yet, they haven't recorded them yet, or they find no need to re record things that Sora is going to say during battle if they're the same phrases from previous games.

it's A cutscene though

literally a maybe a minute out of several hours

the trailer doesn't even have new voice clips for Sora

Well who says that everybody always has to be recording together all the time. Odds are some characters may have been voiced a bit more than others, but they might not have gotten everyone together for larger scenes yet. It might be possible that Farmer voiced a few lines for Goofy every now and then but that everyone has only been doing some occasional starter lines. If that's the case, if the whole ensemble isn't starting group voicework now, then maybe they'll be starting soon. Don't quote me on that though, I'm just speculating. :P

Edit: I accidentally did two posts after the other. Does anybody know how to merge them? Whenever I try copying and pasting it just makes it so that the quote I'm copying is being said by the first person quoted when it was someone else I was quoting. Please help? xP

Edited by Hero of Light XIV

Well who says that everybody always has to be recording together all the time. Odds are some characters may have been voiced a bit more than others, but they might not have gotten everyone together for larger scenes yet. It might be possible that Farmer voiced a few lines for Goofy every now and then but that everyone has only been doing some occasional starter lines. If that's the case, if the whole ensemble isn't starting group voicework now, then maybe they'll be starting soon. Don't quote me on that though, I'm just speculating. :P

gaming voice acting is usually done in  big bursts. Every gaming VA I've ever seen or read an interview for says they're basically given a list of lines and just do them. Often a single day's work, then getting called back in near the end to fix things

Considering not that long ago they said they were choosing worlds, and they said just this E3 that they're currently planning events at worlds, it's incredibly inliekyl a Japanese script is finished, let alone an English one

This is almost definitely the case of hiring VAs too provide something for the trailer, and not indicative of their progress

gaming voice acting is usually done in  big bursts. Every gaming VA I've ever seen or read an interview for says they're basically given a list of lines and just do them. Often a single day's work, then getting called back in near the end to fix things

Considering not that long ago they said they were choosing worlds, and they said just this E3 that they're currently planning events at worlds, it's incredibly inliekyl a Japanese script is finished, let alone an English one

This is almost definitely the case of hiring VAs too provide something for the trailer, and not indicative of their progress

Hmm, even still, they must have had them do at least a few more plot specific lines than that, but yeah, probably not much. Like you said, the bulk of their work will probably come later. :P

Hmm, even still, they must have had them do at least a few more plot specific lines than that, but yeah, probably not much. Like you said, the bulk of their work will probably come later. :P

it'd be a waste of time and money to do that without a finalized script

That's actually interesting. If this is the case then how come Sora's battle voices in the E3 trailer are stock voices from DDD? If the voice actors have been recording since 2014 why didn't they use Hayley Joel Osment's new voices instead of his old DDD ones? Heck, they could have even used the voices of the Japanese VA for sora instead of Osment's DDD ones. 

That's actually interesting. If this is the case then how come Sora's battle voices in the E3 trailer are stock voices from DDD? If the voice actors have been recording since 2014 why didn't they use Hayley Joel Osment's new voices instead of his old DDD ones? Heck, they could have even used the voices of the Japanese VA for sora instead of Osment's DDD ones. 

The battle quotes are usually the last day of recording, because you can blow your vocal chords, so he's probably not recorded those yet :)

A worldwide release is a necessity for Kingdom Hearts 3. Square Enix's marketing tactics revolves around surprises and because the demand for Kingdom Hearts 3 is so high, it would be detrimental for them to have Kingdom Hearts 3 be spoiler by the earliest release. Alongside that, because Walt Disney Animation is more direct with the involvement of this game in comparison to the previous games so it's plausible that the voice acting from English to Japanese is progressing at a similar rate.

Edited by Guest