Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Dio Brando

The fact that Nomura is directing the FF7 remake concerns me

I didn't grow up with FF7 (only played it a couple years ago), so what drew me into it wasn't nostalgia but the gameplay, story and overall slight weirdness. So I agree that if Nomura remakes it like Advent Children, it's gonna be as bad as double-hitler. 

Nomura is still awesome, and I like basically everything he makes, but FF7 was good the way it was. Just make it shiny and I'll buy the hell out of it.

I don't think there should be any cause for concern. Nomura has spoke a number of times at E3 about how they aren't going to tamper with the story or anything and that Square Enix are approaching the VII Remake with extreme care. The main problem is people are going to soon find out that begging so hard for a VII Remake won't end well, because let's face it, it cannot live up to the hype. Older fans will find something to cry about regardless and will no doubt point fingers to Nomura even if it is their stupid expectations that are the issue.

In regards to Cloud's development as a character, he went through a lot and this is more than likely why he is like this in Advent Children. Which is understandable. Do I think it was a wise choice? To be honest, I don't care for Cloud as a character so meh.

I'm not trying to defend Nomura nor am I slightly concerned about the VII Remake (mainly cause VII wasn't the greatest thing to begin with), but I think people should take Nomura's words seriously. They aren't going to simply upgrade the graphics, they are REMAKING the game to make it more modern. The story will stay the same and they aren't introducing any new characters to mess with fans of the original. If people want the experience that they had all those years ago on the PS1 then as Square Enix say, go and enjoy the PC Port hitting the PS4 later this year. 

We all knew the VII Remake would make or break Square Enix so instead of worrying what might happen, why not look forward to seeing what they do? They need to modernise the game from aesthetics and gameplay point of view, I don't believe they are going to ruin Cloud and the others or even meddle with the story one bit. I have some faith that they'll do a good job at remaking it and I'm not even going to buy it. If the fans were worried about a remake then they shouldn't have demanded one for so many years.

I don't think there should be any cause for concern. Nomura has spoke a number of times at E3 about how they aren't going to tamper with the story or anything and that Square Enix are approaching the VII Remake with extreme care. The main problem is people are going to soon find out that begging so hard for a VII Remake won't end well, because let's face it, it cannot live up to the hype. Older fans will find something to cry about regardless and will no doubt point fingers to Nomura even if it is their stupid expectations that are the issue.

In regards to Cloud's development as a character, he went through a lot and this is more than likely why he is like this in Advent Children. Which is understandable. Do I think it was a wise choice? To be honest, I don't care for Cloud as a character so meh.

I'm not trying to defend Nomura nor am I slightly concerned about the VII Remake (mainly cause VII wasn't the greatest thing to begin with), but I think people should take Nomura's words seriously. They aren't going to simply upgrade the graphics, they are REMAKING the game to make it more modern. The story will stay the same and they aren't introducing any new characters to mess with fans of the original. If people want the experience that they had all those years ago on the PS1 then as Square Enix say, go and enjoy the PC Port hitting the PS4 later this year. 

We all knew the VII Remake would make or break Square Enix so instead of worrying what might happen, why not look forward to seeing what they do? They need to modernise the game from aesthetics and gameplay point of view, I don't believe they are going to ruin Cloud and the others or even meddle with the story one bit. I have some faith that they'll do a good job at remaking it and I'm not even going to buy it. If the fans were worried about a remake then they shouldn't have demanded one for so many years.

He did mention that this won't be just a simple remake and that changes to the story will occur,the whole "approach with extreme care" thing is something that Square always say but the end product ends up being not that good(See Final Fantasy XIII).

Also here is my biggest problem with Square Enix,they looooooooove announcing stuff even when they're not ready to announce it.Their development schedule is an absolute mess because they juggle soooooo many projects at the same time and most of those projects share the same staff which is why FFXV took a decade in the making because Nomura's progress with it as a director was sooooooooooo slow hence why they hastely replaced him with Tabata for that game,and it's one of the many,many,many reasons why Kh3 took so long and why we have the handheld entries in the first place(aside from story reasons which even then they could've handled it the same way Kojima did with MGS4 which was the conclusion of the Solid Snake saga).I mean really look at their conference this year,the Eidos part and the Enix part had a clear release schedule for their games but the Square part is still slamming "now in development" on their trailers with no goal or release date in the horizon

I have every right to be concerned with this remake and Nomura's competence with it especially since he couldn't handle his own series without creating a mess(soooo many retcons)

He did mention that this won't be just a simple remake and that changes to the story will occur,the whole "approach with extreme care" thing is something that Square always say but the end product ends up being not that good(See Final Fantasy XIII).

Also here is my biggest problem with Square Enix,they looooooooove announcing stuff even when they're not ready to announce it.Their development schedule is an absolute mess because they juggle soooooo many projects at the same time and most of those projects share the same staff which is why FFXV took a decade in the making because Nomura's progress with it as a director was sooooooooooo slow hence why they hastely replaced him with Tabata for that game,and it's one of the many,many,many reasons why Kh3 took so long and why we have the handheld entries in the first place(aside from story reasons which even then they could've handled it the same way Kojima did with MGS4 which was the conclusion of the Solid Snake saga).I mean really look at their conference this year,the Eidos part and the Enix part had a clear release schedule for their games but the Square part is still slamming "now in development" on their trailers with no goal or release date in the horizon

I have every right to be concerned with this remake and Nomura's competence with it especially since he couldn't handle his own series without creating a mess(soooo many retcons)

Maybe I misunderstood what they said, but I think Nomura said there was going to be some additions to the story (like bonus content) but I don't think he said he would change the original storyline. Just add some stuff to it.

Maybe I misunderstood what they said, but I think Nomura said there was going to be some additions to the story (like bonus content) but I don't think he said he would change the original storyline. Just add some stuff to it.

And if the changes include turn Cloud into a brooding emo again when he wasn't in the original I'm gonna flip

Sure Nomura did a good job in KH but he dunno how to direct Final Fantasy for shit even if he tried and Advent Children is just.................................................................ughhh

And if the changes include turn Cloud into a brooding emo again when he wasn't in the original I'm gonna flip

Sure Nomura did a good job in KH but he dunno how to direct Final Fantasy for shit even if he tried and Advent Children is just.................................................................ughhh

He never really had a chance to direct anything FF (except Advent Children) since they replaced him for XV and changed the stuff he originally wanted. Everyone deserves a second chance. I mean look at how well KH3's development is going. I'm sure we won't be deceived :)

I guess I'm not the only one worried about this. Still, since I wasn't all that hyped for a remake to begin with (really, at this point I'd rather they let FFVII die in peace), I'd rather go into this with no expectations -- no hype or worry, just accept whatever happens. Just to give myself peace of mind, I'm giving Nomura some faith that he won't screw up the remake like he did with the Compilation (except maybe Crisis Core). If he does screw it up then, well, that's what happens, and we'll always have the original FFVII. If it turns out awesome, then hey, it's awesome, and the fans can finally shut up about the remake and actually let FFVII die in peace for good.

As excited as I am for the remake, I'm also admittedly worried for the reasons you specified. I'm thinking the story changes will just be minor, but if they make any major changes or make Cloud the annoying, whiny emo that he was in Advent Children, I'll be pretty mad. It was nice seeing Cloud actually show positive emotions in Crisis Core for pretty much the first time since the original FFVII. Hopefully they'll stick to the Cloud we all know from the original when it comes to the remake.

I'm also concerned about how long it'll take them to release it. I mean, this is the same guy who spent nearly a decade making minimal progress in FFXV until he was booted off the team in favor of someone who could actually make progress. The fact that he's also developing KHIII at the same time is a little worrying, too. The guy needs to learn to not take on so many major projects at a time.

He never really had a chance to direct anything FF (except Advent Children) since they replaced him for XV and changed the stuff he originally wanted. Everyone deserves a second chance. I mean look at how well KH3's development is going. I'm sure we won't be deceived :)

There is a reason why he wasn't in charge of anything FF and a bigger reason why he got kicked out of FFXV

Also,I don't think KH3's development can be judged at this point since the trailer displays "now in development" with no release date or details of the story aside from showcasing yet another retcon mentioned during the conversation with Eraqus and Xehanort

As excited as I am for the remake, I'm also admittedly worried for the reasons you specified. I'm thinking the story changes will just be minor, but if they make any major changes or make Cloud the annoying, whiny emo that he was in Advent Children, I'll be pretty mad. It was nice seeing Cloud actually show positive emotions in Crisis Core for pretty much the first time since the original FFVII. Hopefully they'll stick to the Cloud we all know from the original when it comes to the remake.

I'm also concerned about how long it'll take them to release it. I mean, this is the same guy who spent nearly a decade making minimal progress in FFXV until he was booted off the team in favor of someone who could actually make progress. The fact that he's also developing KHIII at the same time is a little worrying, too. The guy needs to learn to not take on so many major projects at a time.

Pretty much

Like I said,Square has this bad habit of announcing waaaay to many projects that shares the same staff with no release window whatsoever.This is the company that announced 3 games at once for the trainwreck that was the Fabula Nova Chrystallis compilation and took an eternity to release each one of them with the XIII entry in the series being half-assed as a result

This is the company that made us wait a decade for FFXV and KH3 with each year passing they toss out empty promises

I no longer trust Square Enix when it comes to RPGs compared to companies like Atlus who almost always keep their word and almost always deliver with their games

None of us here work at Square Enix Japan, we don't know how the company is on the inside so this stuff about Nomura being booted off XV because he was "slow at it" is completely based off of nothing. Like you said they have announced stuff way too early and this could be why Versus too so long to get out the door, it also doesn't help having staff member juggled around onto other projects. Kingdom Hearts III on the other hand, Nomura said he wasn't ready to make it after KH2 and the side stories helped flesh out the story to be far bigger. The real fans aren't so blind to think that the game had been in development the moment KH2 hit store shelves.

As for no release dates, there are a bunch of titles from Square that have confirmed release dates. Heck if I wanted I could go pre-order World of FF from their store right now, which must indicate it is an early enough 2016 game.

Square Enix have had troubles over the last number of years and they have been notorious for announcing stuff way too early, but they have to. Their fanbase is one of the most demanding ones out their next to Nintendo fans. If they don't announce a FFXV, a KH3 or a VII Remake then their fans jump on them like rabid mongrels.

Every fan has the right to have concerns of course, in fact I have some regarding the latest Kingdom Hearts III trailer, but I'm not concerned because "Nomura is doing it". The VII Remake has a lot of key members from the original working on the game so I doubt they'll blindly let Nomura put his belts and zippers and silly story tropes in places. By the time the VII Remake is ready to show us how the game plays rather than "oohh shiny back of Cloud's head" then your cause for concern would have some merit. If Nomura does firetruck it up then I'll be the first to say, "well lol" but the fact of the matter is the only reason he will firetruck up is because the fans say so. You can't please VII fans, you are either one of them or wrong. If Kitase had directed the game then the concern would be "I dunno he hasn't directed anything in forever", anyone in that chair is pretty much screwed. The fact that Nomura didn't know he'd even be directing it is a joke in itself.

Any ways, to avoid making this post any more ridiculously long, I'd say make up your mind when you see the actual game and not the names attached to a cinematic teaser. If it looks terrible when you see gameplay or hear more about it then.... Go nuts at Nomura and the team working on it.

I'm also concerned about how long it'll take them to release it. I mean, this is the same guy who spent nearly a decade making minimal progress in FFXV until he was booted off the team in favor of someone who could actually make progress. The fact that he's also developing KHIII at the same time is a little worrying, too. The guy needs to learn to not take on so many major projects at a time.

Completely agree Shulk. Nomura and Square-Enix really need to take notes from both Kojima and other developers like Naughty Dog. Naughty Dog ALWAYS make the best games and they don't take their sweet time doing it, either.

None of us here work at Square Enix Japan, we don't know how the company is on the inside so this stuff about Nomura being booted off XV because he was "slow at it" is completely based off of nothing. Like you said they have announced stuff way too early and this could be why Versus too so long to get out the door, it also doesn't help having staff member juggled around onto other projects. Kingdom Hearts III on the other hand, Nomura said he wasn't ready to make it after KH2 and the side stories helped flesh out the story to be far bigger. The real fans aren't so blind to think that the game had been in development the moment KH2 hit store shelves.As for no release dates, there are a bunch of titles from Square that have confirmed release dates. Heck if I wanted I could go pre-order World of FF from their store right now, which must indicate it is an early enough 2016 game.Square Enix have had troubles over the last number of years and they have been notorious for announcing stuff way too early, but they have to. Their fanbase is one of the most demanding ones out their next to Nintendo fans. If they don't announce a FFXV, a KH3 or a VII Remake then their fans jump on them like rabid mongrels.Every fan has the right to have concerns of course, in fact I have some regarding the latest Kingdom Hearts III trailer, but I'm not concerned because "Nomura is doing it". The VII Remake has a lot of key members from the original working on the game so I doubt they'll blindly let Nomura put his belts and zippers and silly story tropes in places. By the time the VII Remake is ready to show us how the game plays rather than "oohh shiny back of Cloud's head" then your cause for concern would have some merit. If Nomura does firetruck it up then I'll be the first to say, "well lol" but the fact of the matter is the only reason he will firetruck up is because the fans say so. You can't please VII fans, you are either one of them or wrong. If Kitase had directed the game then the concern would be "I dunno he hasn't directed anything in forever", anyone in that chair is pretty much screwed. The fact that Nomura didn't know he'd even be directing it is a joke in itself.Any ways, to avoid making this post any more ridiculously long, I'd say make up your mind when you see the actual game and not the names attached to a cinematic teaser. If it looks terrible when you see gameplay or hear more about it then.... Go nuts at Nomura and the team working on it.

Look I don't claim to work at the industry but my opinion is based on press details they themselves released and I have every right to worry cuz I'm spending 60$ on their game so like anybody we voice our feedback so they can address.I'm not demanding too much here and I hate the accusation of "ooooo you're so ungrateful,greedy and demanding" so please excuse me,in an industry where companies overhype their games with lying CG trailers and then the final product comes disappointing (Say hi to Watchdogs) I have the right as a consumer to give feedback.Why should I be their bitch and lower my standards to be just another walking dollar in the eyes of their investorI'm not demanding much,all I demand is a well-written,well-designed game by people I actually trust and display progress...is that too much to ask for?I'm not gonna wait a whole decade again cuz I have a firetrucking life to live so if all that is on display is empty promises....I move on to someone that shows me an actual progress,gameplay and detailThere is a reason why Fire Emblem,Shin Megami Tensei and Persona are some of my favorite RPGs,cuz when they get announced they tell you exactly what you're gonna get and show you gameplay and enough story details without too much spoilers.....something that takes Square Enix a goddamn century to show 

Completely agree Shulk. Nomura and Square-Enix really need to take notes from both Kojima and other developers like Naughty Dog. Naughty Dog ALWAYS make the best games and they don't take their sweet time doing it, either.

Thank you,we need to preach this especially to KHCuz Kojima didn't make me wait a decade to see the ending of the Solid Snake saga...he wrapped it up with MGS4 and moved on to tie the loose ends to it through the Big Boss saga.Nomura on the other hand is having a hard time to count to the number 3

Thank you,we need to preach this especially to KH

Cuz Kojima didn't make me wait a decade to see the ending of the Solid Snake saga...he wrapped it up with MGS4 and moved on to tie the loose ends to it through the Big Boss saga.

Nomura on the other hand is having a hard time to count to the number 3

Yeah, though I'm still sad that Konami is dying along with, possibly, the Metal Gear series once Phantom Pain comes out. I was really hoping that after Phantom Pain he could maybe work on remaking Metal Gear 1 and 2 with the new Fox Engine.

I can understand this, this is going to be my first time playing FFVII through this remake, and I am wondering what's going to be added to the story and stuff. But I'm not too worried about Nomura, I'm sure he can do it without disappointing us, at least in my opinion. Also, remember, Nomura has decided a release date for KH3, even though he can't tell us yet, which could show up in this year's D23, and once KH3 is out the door, he'll likely go full time on the remake.

The reason Cloud became a brooding emo is because of the events in VII. Finding out he wasn't who he thought he was, feeling responsible for the deaths of Zack and Aerith, those are ingredients for some serious PTSD right there. If he remained happy and upbeat after that I'd kind of think he was a dick. We must also remember KH Cloud is not FF Cloud. Hell, he wasn't even supposed to be in the first game, that was supposed to be Vincent but it was changed at the last minute. Also, he, like Leon, was a resident of Radiant Garden who was helpless to stop it's fall into darkness and so convinced himself he didn't care about it.

And I might be an ass for this but I kinda want FFVII remake to suck because the rabid fans piss me off and I want to be able to say "Here's your precious remake. Choke on it."

Edited by Isamu_Kuno

I agree with you 100% I hope he doesn't firetruck this up otherwise we will have another Toriyama on our hands. Seriously after playing 13's triliogy I don't even want to play a game by him.

The reason Cloud became a brooding emo is because of the events in VII. Finding out he wasn't who he thought he was, feeling responsible for the deaths of Zack and Aerith, those are ingredients for some serious PTSD right there. If he remained happy and upbeat after that I'd kind of think he was a dick. We must also remember KH Cloud is not FF Cloud. Hell, he wasn't even supposed to be in the first game, that was supposed to be Vincent but it was changed at the last minute. Also, he, like Leon, was a resident of Radiant Garden who was helpless to stop it's fall into darkness and so convinced himself he didn't care about it.And I might be an ass for this but I kinda want FFVII remake to suck because the rabid fans piss me off and I want to be able to say "Here's your precious remake. Choke on it."

Doesn't change the fact that he applied KH's cloud in almost every other game Cloud appeared in including Dissidia heck every single artwork of Cloud aside from the original FFVII one is him looking at the ground frowning,the way he was in Advent Children was just overkill cuz he doesn't do anything substantial in that movie until Midgar is attacked

I agree with you 100% I hope he doesn't firetruck this up otherwise we will have another Toriyama on our hands. Seriously after playing 13's triliogy I don't even want to play a game by him.

Amen man ^_^

Toriyama in particular cannot tell a firetrucking story

Honestly I'm not really that big a fan of the original, but the changes to the story are likely to be minimal and like you said it would probably just help tie in with Crisis Core better, which I always felt was needed since they seem a bit contradictory in places like Cloud (Spoiler): is meant to think he's Zack So why is he such a jerk in the early stages of the game when Zack was nothing like that?

I still haven't seen Advent Children so I don't know enough about this emo cloud to say whether I like him or not.

Honestly I'm more concerned about them fixing Barrett's dialogue so he's not so stereotypical. >.> Please do that Nomura.

Nora doesn't think we need to worry about Cloud being emo and all, because from what Nora's read that's how Noctis' outside character is to be like. Nomura wanted Noctis to be the silent but clever and straight forward 'unless your my bros, I'm really not going to talk to you' type in his line of important FF characters. Even Noctis' English voice actor does a good job displaying this.  Nora believes Nomura wanted there to be obvious difference between Noctis and Cloud, and with Noctis already taking his role as the 'silent prince' we can assume Nomura will step away from that character type. Nora has yet to play the game or see the movie (even though she owns it), but with the style Nora has been seeing Nomura do with his characters, we're likely ok. 

People forget that Cloud after FF7 is considered "character development"

I don't consider it a good character arc, but Cloud in FF7 was a mish mash of Zack and his own personality, and that'll be preserved, no doubt

It's not like the FF7 compilation doesn't have charismatic characters

and Cloud has plenty of emo edgy dialog in FF7 too, like "I'm used to being alone" really the stuff liek let's mosey are victims of bad translation that the fans just latched on to