Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Enix

Did anyone else wanted Goofy and Donald as allies in DDD?

I don't know. I think it would detract from the whole Mark of Mastery thing. I mean, the whole point was for Sora and Riku to prove their abilities with the Keyblade. Besides, who would go with Riku, King Mickey? That wouldn't be unfair to Sora...

Either way it's fine, but I have to say no. 

Those two were taking the MoM exam in the Dream World and I think I recall Yen Sid saying the Dream Eaters guides them to the Sleeping Keyholes. (Not to mention those critters point out things like a broken wall and the big circuit thing in Traverse Town.) 

And to me since this is an exam and all (a big test to prove you have what it takes to excel and learn from your past mistakes), Donald and Goofy being there would count as interference. 

To me the MoM exam is like a test you are doing on your own, with nobody there to hold your hand. The only thing that will help you, is the things you learned in your studies, for you to take this test. 

It would have been nice, but they tend to be numbered title allies only, save for Chain of Memories and Re:Coded. Plus, I don't think it would have made as much sense story-wise, it made more sense for them to stand aside and let Sora and Riku do their thing until things got bad. It would have also made the Dream Eater system redundant, so that would also be impractical gameplay-wise. Overall, it was fine the way it was and I think they fit in a lot better with numbered titles anyway, they become part of the identity that goes into a numbered title.

i think it would have been better if we could team up with characters from the Disney worlds. In The Grid there's a scene where Sora and Quorra decide to partner up and go to somewhere but then when the cutscene ends she's nowhere to be found and it's Sora and those dream eaters of his. Would have been totally fine with kicking the dream eaters to the curb in favor of Disney party members, honestly.

People are saying that it wouldn't make sense for them to be there because of story, but you guys do know the story isn't set in stone, right? They could have written t so that they don't have to take the MoM alone. Same from a game design aspect; it could have been designed differently so Dream Eaters weren't as necessary or even not included at all. Both writing and game design are fluid things, almost nothing is definite from the start. 

Also, Sora's whole character (especially in DDD) is based on the idea that the connections you make with other people are important- no matter how weak you are alone, your friends and loved ones make you strong. And then he spends the majority of DDD alone. That's more of a story oversight than better additional companions, I'd say.

Edited by HeyMouseSayCheese

People are saying that it wouldn't make sense for them to be there because of story, but you guys do know the story isn't set in stone, right? They could have written t so that they don't have to take the MoM alone. Same from a game design aspect; it could have been designed differently so Dream Eaters weren't as necessary or even not included at all. Both writing and game design are fluid things, almost nothing is definite from the start. 

Also, Sora's whole character (especially in DDD) is based on the idea that the connections you make with other people are important- no matter how weak you are alone, your friends and loved ones make you strong. And then he spends the majority of DDD alone. That's more of a story oversight than better additional companions, I'd say.

I think that Sora being alone kind of adds to the story. Because he doesn't have his friends around to help him and what happens? He screws up big time only to be saved by said friends.

Him being alone really emphaises that fact, Sora needs his friends.

But seriously, what's wrong with the Dream Eaters? Their so cute and there's so many to collect. And I really like how they did the ability system too, it added some strategy to the game.

I think for the story they chosee it was the best way. As HeyMouseSayCheese stated, story and design are fluid, but the only way for it to make sense for Donald and Goofy to join Sora would be to make some pretty big changes.

1. There'd be no need for Drram Eaters so they have to rewrite how the Keyholes are found (I guess because the Keyholes are asleep the Keyblade alone can't find them) so then you remove Spirits.

2. You remove Spirits you either only have Nightmares or remove Dream Eaters.

3. You remove Dream Eaters then you remove the statement that Heartless can't enter the Realm of Sleep and let them in.

So then we have Donald, Goofy and Heartless and it feels no different from a numbered title. Besides, it would have been awkward for Donald and Goofy to meet illusory versions of themselves. Plus, like the person above said, Sora would never have fallen to darkness with Donald and Goofy there. We've seen it before, Sora gets sad and Donald and Goofy cheer him up. It happened in KH, CoM and KH2. But they weren't there to do that it's time. They would have had to write a totally different scenario for the climax of Sora's side. Personally, I kind of like that he was able to draw on his friends power even without them physically being there.

Edited by Isamu_Kuno

I think that Sora being alone kind of adds to the story. Because he doesn't have his friends around to help him and what happens? He screws up big time only to be saved by said friends.Him being alone really emphaises that fact, Sora needs his friends.

But seriously, what's wrong with the Dream Eaters? Their so cute and there's so many to collect. And I really like how they did the ability system too, it added some strategy to the game.

I wouldn't say Sora screwed up. I would say that he was screwed over by Yen Sid being dumb and MX being a cheater, but that's not the same thing.

As for Dream Eaters, they just add way more grinding that I'm comfortable with in a action game. You need to grind items to craft new Dream Eaters, then level grind them up to unlock useful support abilities, then if you want different Dream Eaters, you have to grind even more items and them grind those new ones up to get useful abilities because they can;t be permanently applied like in every other KH game, and then repeat that like two dozen times if you want to unlock everything. It's kind of an unbelievable hassle.

So then we have Donald, Goofy and Heartless and it feels no different from a numbered title.

Why would that not be a good thing?

I wouldn't say Sora screwed up. I would say that he was screwed over by Yen Sid being dumb and MX being a cheater, but that's not the same thing.

As for Dream Eaters, they just add way more grinding that I'm comfortable with in a action game. You need to grind items to craft new Dream Eaters, then level grind them up to unlock useful support abilities, then if you want different Dream Eaters, you have to grind even more items and them grind those new ones up to get useful abilities because they can;t be permanently applied like in every other KH game, and then repeat that like two dozen times if you want to unlock everything. It's kind of an unbelievable hassle.

Why would that not be a good thing?

Grinding in RPGs will forever be a user experience in my opinion. I played it in Proud and had to very little to no grinding except for a few boss fights (spellican, what a stupid name, Spell + Pelican LOL). But I guess it is a valid point. I say Sora screwed up because not only did walk right into Xehanort's trap, he was completely immersed in what is supposed to be a "dream". How was he not weirded out by the fact he was having hallucinations of every main protagonist xD. He literally sees Roxas and Co. and acts like that's a completely normal thing to happen. 

I wouldn't say Sora screwed up. I would say that he was screwed over by Yen Sid being dumb and MX being a cheater, but that's not the same thing.As for Dream Eaters, they just add way more grinding that I'm comfortable with in a action game. You need to grind items to craft new Dream Eaters, then level grind them up to unlock useful support abilities, then if you want different Dream Eaters, you have to grind even more items and them grind those new ones up to get useful abilities because they can;t be permanently applied like in every other KH game, and then repeat that like two dozen times if you want to unlock everything. It's kind of an unbelievable hassle.Why would that not be a good thing?

Not saying it's a bad thing, but a non numbered title needs to differentiate itself from a numbered one. 3D may be 2.6 as far as Nomura is concerned but it's still not a numbered title, it should have its own feel. Edited by Isamu_Kuno

I say Sora screwed up because not only did walk right into Xehanort's trap, he was completely immersed in what is supposed to be a "dream". How was he not weirded out by the fact he was having hallucinations of every main protagonist xD. He literally sees Roxas and Co. and acts like that's a completely normal thing to happen.

To be fair, Sora has seen visions of Roxas when he was awake too, so it's not like that was the first time. Also he doesn't know who like anyone else is, so maybe he thought they were part of the dream. I dunno, Sora's dumb. It's still unfair to blame him for what Yen Sid admitted was his own fault.

To be fair, Sora has seen visions of Roxas when he was awake too, so it's not like that was the first time. Also he doesn't know who like anyone else is, so maybe he thought they were part of the dream. I dunno, Sora's dumb. It's still unfair to blame him for what Yen Sid admitted was his own fault.

Hmm Yen Sid is also at fault. But my point was more along the lines of if Donald and Goofy were there, Sora would've snapped out of it. They'd tell him to re-focus and get on with it. So they would be interfering in what was supposed to be Sora's test.

Hmm Yen Sid is also at fault. But my point was more along the lines of if Donald and Goofy were there, Sora would've snapped out of it. They'd tell him to re-focus and get on with it. So they would be interfering in what was supposed to be Sora's test.

So Nomura and the team rewrite the story. Maybe not make it some ridiculous time travelling dream bullshit. That sounds like a dream come true to me. (If it's not clear, I'm not a fan on DDD's story at all, so totally revamping it would be great to me.)

I don't like the Spirits, especially when they only appear on a 1% of the game's cutscenes. I think the best thing would have been have Sora and Riku on the same group, have Donald and Goofy help Sora or have Sora and Riku fight alone, but don't add the Spirits, I personaly think they don't fit in the story, it's like if in CoM or in Coded you had Heartless helping you, it wouldn't make sense. If they really wanted to add a system where you've got minions on your side, they should have added it in Days (you know, the nobodies should help you).

So Nomura and the team rewrite the story. Maybe not make it some ridiculous time travelling dream bullshit. That sounds like a dream come true to me. (If it's not clear, I'm not a fan on DDD's story at all, so totally revamping it would be great to me.)

I fully agree with this point. Why do so many games like to use time travel xD It was going along fine (well somewhat fine haha) until boom, time travel lolz.

I don't like the Spirits, especially when they only appear on a 1% of the game's cutscenes. I think the best thing would have been have Sora and Riku on the same group, have Donald and Goofy help Sora or have Sora and Riku fight alone, but don't add the Spirits, I personaly think they don't fit in the story, it's like if in CoM or in Coded you had Heartless helping you, it wouldn't make sense. If they really wanted to add a system where you've got minions on your side, they should have added it in Days (you know, the nobodies should help you).

Well they do say in the game that the ones helping you are "good" spirits. Heartless and Nobodies aren't exactly good. And they do help out, Riku couldn't have got to the Castle without the spirits. Would've had to call it a day. And for some reason Riku is also a spirit. Cool story Nomura.

It would have been nice, but not appropriate. Sora and Riku were being examined for the Mark of Mastery. It's them and them alone; no help from any other people. However, spirits helped them because they are part of a natural balance.