Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Kiss  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Kiss or no kiss?

• Kiss
    • No Kiss
    • Maybe

Why I feel there is evidence against a Kairi and Riku ship is Riku's actions on Destiny island. First he risked giving a paopu fruit to Sora for the expressed purpose of Sora sharing it with Kairi, and second he knowingly riled up Sora by saying the winner of their race would get to share one with Kairi. (but as you see when you lose the race, he only did that to mess with Sora) In other words I think he knows Sora likes Kairi, and he doesn't personally want to date her so he teases Sora about it. I personally didn't see that connection until this morning, and I played the game a bajillion times. One could argue that Riku cares more about saving Kairi than being friends with Sora (in KH), because he wants a romantic relationship with her. But a different way of looking at it is that Riku wants to save his friend Kairi, and Sora was both fine and getting in his way.  Honestly the only SoraxRiku pairing I would endorse would be with a version of Xion, since it wouldn't mess with homophobes and would still be Sora (kinda).

As someone who does ship them, I'd like to offer a different perspective. See, while I don't disagree that Riku was joking, it's possible to be aware of a friend's feelings for someone while still having feelings for them yourself. If anything, Riku's teasing may stem in part from that. It's very clear that Riku cares about Kairi, and I can see it being interpreted as a crush given the way he speaks to her at the beginning of the game, the ridiculous lengths he goes to save her once he's convinced Sora has stopped caring, and the line "take care of  her," which I kinda see as him giving up/passing the torch.

You can also look at the Chain of Memories novels, which, while selective canon, do certainly imply something similar.

This tiny island on this tiny world. I wanted to try and see moreplaces than this. I wanted to know why we were in a place like that.

“If we just sit around we’ll never know. Nothing will change unless we do something about it ourselves.”

The boy walked slowly over to the water.

“We can only see this same scenery. So… I want to do something.”

“Your head’s so full of thoughts, isn’t it, Riku?”

It is just my imagination, or does Kairi sound a little lonely?

“It’s thanks to you, Kairi. If you hadn’t come to this world, I don’t think I would have thought anything of it.”

That’s right… I had a crush on Kairi, I’m sure of it. She was special. But Kairi… had a crush on Sora. I knew.

“Thank you, Kairi.”

That’s why… the truth was, that day, I wanted to tell Kairi how I felt. But, I couldn’t.

I can make her yours.

The boy spun around, hearing a whisper from somewhere.

“Who’s there?!”

Before he’d realised, the ocean had been stained pitch black.

What do you want to gain?

The voice felt like it was whispering right in the boy’s ear. Theground began to stain black, as if radiating from him. The darknessspread.

His whole body was swallowed into pure darkness.

I’ll fulfil your wish.

I don’t want you to fulfil it. I want to do it with my own hands. But, back then… I wanted Kairi for my own, no matter what.

I? No… Riku. Riku thought he wanted her for his own, no matter what.

The boy passed out in the darkness.

<<ЯR>>

This is the room I had in that castle. The witch Maleficent’s castle, Hollow Bastion.

“…Kairi… Sora…”

I decided that I’d do anything to get Kairi’s heart back. Even if it meant staining my hands with darkness.

The boy got up out of bed, and left the room.

If I climbed those stairs, I could go out onto a little veranda at the top of the tower.

The boy liked looking out at the view from up there.

It felt like the wind was blowing through the gaping hole in my heart. Like I was the only person in the entire world, like…

The cold wind caressed his cheek.

Not that I'm arguing against him trying to save her as a friend-- Riku's actions in KH1 are very complicated and can be interpreted in a number of ways, none of which are necessarily incorrect. The wonderful thing about KH is that there is room for different perspectives. This is part of why I'd rather they not fully canonize ships in the first place. The reason why I'm making this case is mostly because I do feel there is a bit of discredit towards RxK shippers within the fandom overall.

As someone who does ship them, I'd like to offer a different perspective. See, while I don't disagree that Riku was joking, it's possible to be aware of a friend's feelings for someone while still having feelings for them yourself. If anything, Riku's teasing may stem in part from that. It's very clear that Riku cares about Kairi, and I can see it being interpreted as a crush given the way he speaks to her at the beginning of the game, the ridiculous lengths he goes to save her once he's convinced Sora has stopped caring, and the line "take care of  her," which I kinda see as him giving up/passing the torch.

You can also look at the Chain of Memories novels, which, while selective canon, do certainly imply something similar.

Not that I'm arguing against him trying to save her as a friend-- Riku's actions in KH1 are very complicated and can be interpreted in a number of ways, none of which are necessarily incorrect. The wonderful thing about KH is that there is room for different perspectives. This is part of why I'd rather they not fully canonize ships in the first place. The reason why I'm making this case is mostly because I do feel there is a bit of discredit towards RxK shippers within the fandom overall.

Ah okay, if those novels are officially cannon I can see a RxK ship, but like you said from what information is given in KH it could go either way. And honestly even though the desires to see romance in all media is there, I really don't think "this pairing is perfect."  So i am iffy about any pairings, though I would like some new character to catch Riku's eye but not be there just for that. And I randomly like the pairing of Roxas and Namine but I think that shall only be cannon if there is a SxK.

And that's fine! Personally, I don't think any pairing is absolutely perfect, and I think ships of all kinds can be handled well with the right execution-- I just don't think it needs to be a focus of KH canon. That kind of territory is great for fanworks, and it's why I like things being at least somewhat open ended. As I've said before, just because Sora and Kairi haven't kissed doesn't mean people can't ship them. There's something satisfying, I suppose, of seeing a pairing you like justified, but I don't think it's downright necessary.My reasons for liking RxK are basically a matter of personal preference. I think their personalities compliment each other well, and to me it's just more interesting... but I also have a strong preference towards Riku in general and think he's one of the best developed characters in the series. I really sympathized with him during KH1. For me, Sora and Kairi seem a bit too safe and expected, but I'm not gonna knock the people who do like it. It's pretty heavily hinted at, so if any pair were to happen, it probably would be that.At the same time, I'm almost certain Nomura is aware of how crazy ship wars get in this fandom, so I can see him pulling a FFVII and keeping it ambiguous.

Why I feel there is evidence against a Kairi and Riku ship is Riku's actions on Destiny island. First he risked giving a paopu fruit to Sora for the expressed purpose of Sora sharing it with Kairi, and second he knowingly riled up Sora by saying the winner of their race would get to share one with Kairi. (but as you see when you lose the race, he only did that to mess with Sora) In other words I think he knows Sora likes Kairi, and he doesn't personally want to date her so he teases Sora about it. I personally didn't see that connection until this morning, and I played the game a bajillion times. One could argue that Riku cares more about saving Kairi than being friends with Sora (in KH), because he wants a romantic relationship with her. But a different way of looking at it is that Riku wants to save his friend Kairi, and Sora was both fine and getting in his way.  Honestly the only SoraxRiku pairing I would endorse would be with a version of Xion, since it wouldn't mess with homophobes and would still be Sora (kinda).

Really? I've interpreted it from a personal experience: to love someone so much that in the end, you just want her to be happy. Even if that means giving up your chances, your opportunities, your romantic relationship and feeling for them just so they can pursue their heart's desires. Even HELPING them pursue their interests is tough, but yeah been there done that. It hurts, a lot, but it's the ultimate sacrifice, and shows maturity and thinking for others instead of your own desires.

Personally, I'm for SoKai, but I can't help but feel for Riku. I know what he went through. firetruck, I can RELATE to him on so many levels. I don't blame him for giving in to the darkness in KH1. It's inevitable, but if you can overcome that dark period, you end up either being stronger, or emotionally numb. I got the numb part...

There are novels? I NEED TO KNOW WHERE TO GET THEM!!!

Really? I've interpreted it from a personal experience: to love someone so much that in the end, you just want her to be happy. Even if that means giving up your chances, your opportunities, your romantic relationship and feeling for them just so they can pursue their heart's desires. Even HELPING them pursue their interests is tough, but yeah been there done that. It hurts, a lot, but it's the ultimate sacrifice, and shows maturity and thinking for others instead of your own desires. Personally, I'm for SoKai, but I can't help but feel for Riku. I know what he went through. firetruck, I can RELATE to him on so many levels. I don't blame him for giving in to the darkness in KH1. It's inevitable, but if you can overcome that dark period, you end up either being stronger, or emotionally numb. I got the numb part...

Hmm, that could be, I originally thought Riku was into Kairi, but I just started to feel like Riku was if nothing else treating her like a good friend. But now after what you two said it would make sense that he knew both of them liked each other, and even if it wasn't what he wanted he wanted them to be happy. So he was probably pushing on both sides to get them together. (even though we only saw him push Sora towards her) But like you said that just shows how much he loved her if she wanted to be with Sora, and in a way it could also show how much he loved Sora if he wanted him to be happy with her. Though I still feel like I shall stand by during the time when Kairi's body was empty he was just trying to do his best. He did check up on Sora to make sure he was fine, and then Maleficent tried to convince him that Sora replaced his friends. And then as time went on as Sora was stopping Riku from trying to save Kairi it was proving that point to him. And he felt Sora betrayed both him AND Kairi, so he got more aggressive with Sora. Because he felt friends don't betray friends, and also that only his path could save Kairi. So in other words I can safely assume if nothing else Riku was just trying to be a good friend.That being said I can see how that could be interpreted as him loving Kairi instead.

Maybe sora gets tips on dating from zack

Zacks number one rule, be as forward as possible, it doesn't matter if it gets awkward, that just means its working!

Sora: ummm are you sure? Didn't you get shot down by doing that?

Zack: don't question me, now lets do squats!

Nope. If that happens, all hell will break loose in the fandom, especially dem soriku fans

So you are saying that you don't want to see them kiss because it might upset the wierdos who pay no heed to the canonically established sexual preferences of the characters?

So you are saying that you don't want to see them kiss because it might upset the wierdos who pay no heed to the canonically established sexual preferences of the characters?

They're not canon. No ship in KH is.

Why are you calling people weirdos for shipping Sora and Riku? :/ Yes, there are heavy Sora and Kairi implications, but there IS a lot of material that I can see being used to support a ship. I don't personally ship it, but there's enough for fans to see it in a romantic light if they wish. Fact is, Sora and Riku's development has been MUCH more organic than Sora and Kairi's because they've just had more time to interact and show how much they care for each other, be it platonic or otherwise. With Sora and Kairi, I think the problem stems from her not being developed enough outside of her interactions with Sora and the fact that the games prefer to tell us Sora cares about Kairi more than show it. KH2 is a pretty big offender at that, though there are scenes that are at least somewhat subtle.

The fact is, SxR fans make up a huge chunk of the fanbase and, thus, the revenue Square obtains from game sales. This is particularly true of the Japanese fanbase. Canonizing one ship over another risks loss of sales either way, so keeping it ambiguous is a fair compromise, methinks. This isn't a series where romance is front and center.

Plot twist: Kairi had a thing for Wakka the whole time.

Haha Everyone would most likely rage.And people would be having so many fangasms just because they kiss (if they did).

Why are you calling people weirdos for shipping Sora and Riku? :/ Yes, there are heavy Sora and Kairi implications, but there IS a lot of material that I can see being used to support a ship. I don't personally ship it, but there's enough for fans to see it in a romantic light if they wish. Fact is, Sora and Riku's development has been MUCH more organic than Sora and Kairi's because they've just had more time to interact and show how much they care for each other, be it platonic or otherwise. With Sora and Kairi, I think the problem stems from her not being developed enough outside of her interactions with Sora and the fact that the games prefer to tell us Sora cares about Kairi more than show it. KH2 is a pretty big offender at that, though there are scenes that are at least somewhat subtle.

The fact is, SxR fans make up a huge chunk of the fanbase and, thus, the revenue Square obtains from game sales. This is particularly true of the Japanese fanbase. Canonizing one ship over another risks loss of sales either way, so keeping it ambiguous is a fair compromise, methinks. This isn't a series where romance is front and center.

The fact is, you are ignoring the canonical sexual preferences of the characters for the sake of your yaoi obsessions.  Anime fangirls are notorious for shipping pairs that simply cannot happen because of the established character models.  When Tetsuya Nomura created his character he created a 10 year old, heterosexual, boy with an overzealous sense of righteousness, and the naivete' of a toddler.  Sadly, your "huge chunk of the fanbase" doesn't think like a writer.  They don't realize that forcing the character to do things outside of his basic character model breaks the illusion of the character being a living being.  If you force the character to make uncharacteristic choices, you lose the essence of the character himself.  Then the integrity of the entire franchise becomes compromised.

The fact is, you are ignoring the canonical sexual preferences of the characters for the sake of your yaoi obsessions.  Anime fangirls are notorious for shipping pairs that simply cannot happen because of the established character models.  When Tetsuya Nomura created his character he created a 10 year old, heterosexual, boy with an overzealous sense of righteousness, and the naivete' of a toddler.  Sadly, your "huge chunk of the fanbase" doesn't think like a writer.  They don't realize that forcing the character to do things outside of his basic character model breaks the illusion of the character being a living being.  If you force the character to make uncharacteristic choices, you lose the essence of the character himself.  Then the integrity of the entire franchise becomes compromised.

I'm not saying I like soriku, but I don't think their sexual preferences are established. Although Sora being heterosexual would be the normal assumption, their is equal proof that fans use to support the idea of him liking Riku and vice versa.

It's a no from me.  I find the pairing okay, but Kingdom Hearts is more towards friendship than romance and considering that relationships are based on fan interpritation it's more likely they are all just friends- I don't think with all this universal problems going on theres not really time for a relationship to go a step further.  

Yeah they should. I don't really see SoRik together like that.. they're best friends, and I feel that Sora's more comfortable around him than he is with Kairi because hey, Sora kinda seems like the type of guy who's challenged when it comes to relationships and with girls. Like with that one hug scene in KH2. Who wouldn't be shy if their crush just ran up to you and gave you a big bear hug?  ;) Sora acts more like Riku's younger brother if you ask me.

That being said, I don't think there's gonna be chaos between shipping fandoms. Nomura's been throwing out so many hints of Sora and Kairi's romance, I mean I get it if you don't ship them, but people should get that feeling that they are eventually going to end up together.  ^_^