Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Dracozombie

KHBbS Why does everyone think Terra's a trusting idiot?

-Hades: Just like Xehanort, he offers a way to help Terra be less dark-angsty. Hey, Terra's desperate, and nothing Hades says or does is inherently villainous. And don't say, "Well he's the god of death!" Death is depressing but it's technically neutral. Terra also goes back to "Up yours" mode when Hades possessed Zack.

Hades (who was worshipped as the god of the Underworld, soil, and wealth; Thanatos was the god of the dead and was evil) as depicted by Disney isn't exactly neutral. Other than that, you make some excellent points. Terra definitely needs to be cut some slack. 

Edited by SkullMajora

I've never found Terra himself to be an idiot, the real fool is Eraqus, who has no ecusefor not figuring out SOMETHING was wrong, and spends exactly zero time in the story being proactive. He has a friend who can tell him where and what anybody is doing, and can communicate with him instantly via gemstone, and yet never takes any forward action until Ventus literally shows up on his doorstep and explains Xehanort's plan to his face.

Unlike Terra, Eraqus also has been to other worlds, and has far less excuse not to be genre savvy

I've never found Terra himself to be an idiot, the real fool is Eraqus, who has no ecusefor not figuring out SOMETHING was wrong, and spends exactly zero time in the story being proactive. He has a friend who can tell him where and what anybody is doing, and can communicate with him instantly via gemstone, and yet never takes any forward action until Ventus literally shows up on his doorstep and explains Xehanort's plan to his face.

Unlike Terra, Eraqus also has been to other worlds, and has far less excuse not to be genre savvy

I wonder what it is Eraqus does in the castle all day. Sip tea and wait for the Unversed to come, I suppose. He's supposed to guard the world from getting into the wrong hands or something or other, but you'd think Eraqus, the keyblade master and experienced world traveler, would be better equipped to protect the chicks who prevent the universe from imploding. You'd also think he might have some reservations about sending out his apprentice who less than an hour ago demonstrated he had a bit of a darkness problem. It also seemed suspiciously easy for Ventus to sneak out and party.

Eraqus is the worst dad ever.

I was actually more annoyed that Terra isn't more trusting. As you mentioned, he winds up backing out of or correcting every deal he makes with the villains, and usually the set-up is that he's being hood-winked rather than actually buying in to what it is they're saying. Personally, I would have liked it if he started actually listening to what the villains had to say, so his so called "giving in to Darkness" would actually have more body to it, instead of being more or less unfounded by the plot.

I was actually more annoyed that Terra isn't more trusting. As you mentioned, he winds up backing out of or correcting every deal he makes with the villains, and usually the set-up is that he's being hood-winked rather than actually buying in to what it is they're saying. Personally, I would have liked it if he started actually listening to what the villains had to say, so his so called "giving in to Darkness" would actually have more body to it, instead of being more or less unfounded by the plot.

I really wish Aqua's quote "I've been to the same worlds as you, and I've seen what you've done" made ANY SENSE AT ALL

She went to one world, where a person who was obviously trying to antagonize her told her that Terra gave in to the darkness. Outside that Aqua's interactions with Terra were seeing that he helped out a girl and was actually doing pretty good for himself, and another world where Terra wasn't even mentioned

They seemed to try way too hard to give worlds happy endings, despite the story really not calling for that. Terra's succumbing to darkness seems really strange when literally every world he visits leads to him learning a valuable lesson about how to not be overtaken by the darkness. He literally learns more than Riku over like five games, and yet for some reason him trying to protect his friends (which is admittedly a very strange concept for a KH game, which has no morals involving friendship or standing up for what's right) is the tipping point that allows him to be consumed

What I find fascinating about Terra's story is that he basically does exactly what Sora does in each world, trusting and helping the first person he meets ho has a problem, it's just that Sora is lucky enough to run into a good guy on his first try, while Terra always stumbles onto villains

Indeed, part of the problem is that it seems the universe is actively screwing with Terra. It's never his own actions that get him into trouble, it's that he tries to do the right thing but it just so happens he's helping the villains. As another post mentioned, a lot of Terra's misfortune boils down to rotten luck. He's in the wrong place at the wrong time, he meets the wrong people, and the game almost seems to punish him for trying to do good. Not even misinformed, well-intentioned extremist good. It's that the story sets him up to be doing a noble thing (even if it's for villains) and the rug gets swept under him. I guess that's where the plot gets the idea he's giving into darkness. Because the world hates him. I feel sorry for the guy.

I really wish Aqua's quote "I've been to the same worlds as you, and I've seen what you've done" made ANY SENSE AT ALL

She went to one world, where a person who was obviously trying to antagonize her told her that Terra gave in to the darkness. Outside that Aqua's interactions with Terra were seeing that he helped out a girl and was actually doing pretty good for himself, and another world where Terra wasn't even mentioned

They seemed to try way too hard to give worlds happy endings, despite the story really not calling for that. Terra's succumbing to darkness seems really strange when literally every world he visits leads to him learning a valuable lesson about how to not be overtaken by the darkness. He literally learns more than Riku over like five games, and yet for some reason him trying to protect his friends (which is admittedly a very strange concept for a KH game, which has no morals involving friendship or standing up for what's right) is the tipping point that allows him to be consumed

What I find fascinating about Terra's story is that he basically does exactly what Sora does in each world, trusting and helping the first person he meets ho has a problem, it's just that Sora is lucky enough to run into a good guy on his first try, while Terra always stumbles onto villains

As much as I love Aqua, I for the life of me can't find a reasoning for her suspicions, either. And it's totally true that Terra does what Sora does, but the game treats it as bad because Terra is unfortunate enough to run into the wrong characters. Really, when has a KH game not had the characters trust the first people they run into? I mean, maybe Days, but they're a covert operation and actually the villains. Terra's a do-gooder through his actions and the plot tells us it's bad.

Edited by Dracozombie

You also have to think, Terra was sheltered on the Land of Departure with 3 other people for years and years. He's naive. So is Ven and Aqua. But the difference between them and Terra is the situations they were put in. The villains felt they could manipulate the darkness in Terra while there really wasn't any darkness to manipulate with Ven and Aqua. If you were couped up in a house all day and never went around other people, would you know that there are people you shouldn't trust?

Terra wasn't the only one that accidentally helped a villain. During Ventus's visit to the Dwarf Woodlands, he gives the poison apple that the witch dropped back to her, not knowing that it would harm his newfound friend. But everyone seems to overlook that. And we don't even have to argue with Riku...

Edited by KHrulz

Terra wasn't the only one that accidentally helped a villain. During Ventus's visit to the Dwarf Woodlands, he gives the poison apple that the witch dropped back to her, not knowing that it would harm his newfound friend. But everyone seems to overlook that. And we don't even have to argue with Riku...

True, but it is one 10-second moment. In my experience, people will overlook a lot of a parts that are not major events or repeated often while discussing a video games story. Edited by Andrew Rowland

Indeed, part of the problem is that it seems the universe is actively screwing with Terra. It's never his own actions that get him into trouble, it's that he tries to do the right thing but it just so happens he's helping the villains. As another post mentioned, a lot of Terra's misfortune boils down to rotten luck. He's in the wrong place at the wrong time, he meets the wrong people, and the game almost seems to punish him for trying to do good. Not even misinformed, well-intentioned extremist good. It's that the story sets him up to be doing a noble thing (even if it's for villains) and the rug gets swept under him. I guess that's where the plot gets the idea he's giving into darkness. Because the world hates him. I feel sorry for the guy.

And then DDD just seemed to kick him down even further (along with Aqua and Ven, for that matter).

One of the major reasons why I hate that game.

I have a feeling this is a response to HMK's video on why he wasn't particularly fond of Terra, because I saw the same exact post on my comment explaining why I wasn't fond of him either.

Maybe it's coincidence.

I have a feeling this is a response to HMK's video on why he wasn't particularly fond of Terra, because I saw the same exact post on my comment explaining why I wasn't fond of him either.Maybe it's coincidence.

It's a coincidence. I've never seen any of HMK's videos, though judging from peoples' opinions of him I might be better off that way. For me, I like Terra but this wasn't really a matter of fondness. I was just trying to dismantle what I think are a few misconceptions about his character.

It's not just how some fans think about Terra's single mindedness towards villians, even the GAME has this impression and sets it up to his fatal flaw ( besides his fear of darkness and by not accepting it with confidence). For example, when you speak to Peter Pan as Terra when you return to Neverland, he will comment on how easily he can be hoodwinked by the "grown ups". Ironically, Eraqus thinks that Terra CANNOT be trusted. the point were Aqua was told to keep an eye on him ( which makes no sense as she wasn't properly developed from that standpoint and didn't notice the lingering presence of Xehanort's manipulation).