Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Forever

Kingdom Hearts III trailer analysis: Do the chess pieces represent the lights/darknesses?

No problem! Everyone's done a really great job in thinking this whole hypothesis out together. ^^

When I get some time, I'll edit in his analysis as well.

Edited in PrinceNoctis's analysis. I think we have some good stuff now!

Edited by Flaming Lea

I would love for Vanitas to come back in KH3. I hope we get to see what happens when he and Sora meet for the first time.

Sora did see him on Dream Drop Distance

Man, this is what I love about this site!  The fact that all of us unite under the Kingdom Hearts banner, and we all immerse ourselves in the intrigue of the fresh batch of news we get on Kingdom Hearts III!  I just read through this whole thread, and I thank those who were able to thoroughly close up on the chess pieces so we could see their shapes more closely!  This has all been a very amazing speculative ride, and I bet Nomura and the others are high-fiving each other, because they no doubt did this on purpose to make us all speculate! X3

Anyways, on what I think about the chess piece with the dice.  If it is Luxord, then it makes sense, because think about it.  In his profile, it is mentioned that he has mastery over time...and who knows? There has to be something there, and I'm pretty sure he was able to help in some way with the whole time travel scheme of things. And plus, his other name is The Gambler Of Fate.  Certainly a battle for the X-Blade would be the biggest, fateful gamble, now wouldn't it? :3

And as for the one that has the moon with a circle of spikes, that is most definitely Isa. And the possible Ansem pieces also make sense, since the "Guardian" piece is slightly higher positioned above Ansem's piece! :O

I must say something I found out a long time ago (I think it was said in TheGamersJoint in youtube) which is that Luxord is probably one of the 13 darknesses. There are several reasons that many people like Shigehiko have stated, but no one has stated this: At the World That Never Was, in KHII, you fight Xigbar, Luxord, Saïx and Xemnas. You get to fight three of the true organization members (Xigbar, Saïx and Xemnas), but then, why is Luxord there? This is the point, Luxord is probably one of the 13 Seekers of Darkness.

Plot twist: the final battle is a chess-game.

I'd be down for that. 

Any ideas on this piece? Vexen's shield comes to mind. But it seems a bit different from that. So, I'm not sure. 

Posted Image

**EDIT**

So, I found something that i forgot about. 

Posted Image

This is from Chain of Memories. My memory might be wrong on it. But isn't this Kairi's wayfinder that Namine transformed and Sora remembered it as "from Namine" or something? 

Now take a look at the star piece. 

Posted Image

It's the exact same star. In game the paopu fruit is smooth and doesn't have the lines. It doesn't really look like a wayfinder to me. So, could what we think represents Kairi, actually represent Namine? o.O or am I looking to far into this... There is that wayfinder on the other side... My brain hurts. 

Edited by Demyx.

Can someone get me a few pictures from the chess board and i'll try and help identify (sry i'm lazy), also do we have a list as to who we THINK are involved on both sides?

Can someone get me a few pictures from the chess board and i'll try and help identify (sry i'm lazy), also do we have a list as to who we THINK are involved on both sides?

Here you go:

look at Prince Noctis' comment on page 6, the one with 4 pictures

http://i.imgur.com/BriXYra.jpg

http://s794.photobucket.com/user/ShardofTruth/media/Other%20KH%20stuff/Chess%20Pieces%20KHIII.png.html

Okay, so first thoughts *i apologize if i've just recycled what other people have already established*:

Kinda strange, since there are 8 pieces but only 7 guardians of light, I think it's safe to say they're supposed to be

Sora, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, Ventus, Aqua, Terra. It would make sense, since it's the young trio and the original trio and throw in Mickey to appease Disney.

As for why there are 8 Hmm, could be representative of Terra's redemption? His piece and the unknown piece look very much similar, PrinceNoctis's theory could also be correct about the fact that Terra's Lingering Will comes in, as it seems to have good intention as it was fighting on in BbS.

13 Darknesses, hmm.. well it's down to assumption based off of photos i've seen:

1. MX 2. Isa/Saix 3. YMX  4. Luxord? Idk, he's mostly represented by cards. However, he did control the Gambler nobodies who used dice. (May also be a new character). 5. Ansem SoD 6. Ansem's Guardian (they are seen as seperate pieces, so I assume they take up 2 slots) 7. Vanitas 8. (Vanitas's piece appears again, possibly due to the Lingering Sentiment, kudos to Noctis again, may be similar to the Terra theory). 9. Nobody symbol, so likely to be Xemnas. 10. Leopardos Foreteller (kudos to Noctis AGAIN), the link Nomura was talking about between KHX/KH3?! 11. Braig/Xigbar 12. YX 13. Master Xehanort wanted Sora to be the 13th, right, and he failed, so this slot is supposed to be empty I think. Maybe we'll find out who takes it in KH3?!

Also, the two swords may possibly represent the X-blade?! Bear in mind, this is only a glimpse of the opening of KH3, it's definite that we'll find out more information soon and probably in-game.

Edited by DemyxIsBest

In the minute 2:09 of the trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaTjCvUZjck): Xehanort says:

"On that land shall darkness prevail and light expire" Right after that, he takes one of his pieces and defeat one of Terras."The future its already been written"

Now is when Eraqus intervenes: "Who says I can't chage it? And maybe light will prevail" The other Terra's piece is shown at Sora's side, while this one takes care of the guardian (which is speculated to be very related to Terra) "There is more light than meets the eye. You might be surprised!"

"Well I hope so" The trailer ends with Soras and Xehanorts pieces facing eachother.

Would this mean that Terra will be saved by Sora, and being one of the 7 light? I was against that before the trailer, but I changed my mind. Also, there is no representation of Lea, which was speculated to be one of the lights.

Ok, so I have a little bit more with this movement. So, Eraqus says: "Who's to say I can't change it?" Right after that, he takes Sora's piece and captures the piece of the Guardian. Could this have any relationship to this?

Posted Image

He will change it, using Sora.

Ok, so I have a little bit more with this movement. So, Eraqus says: "Who's to say I can't change it?" Right after that, he takes Sora's piece and captures the piece of the Guardian. Could this have any relationship to this?

Posted Image

He will change it, using Sora.

Unfortunately, I believe this scene was stated to be non-canon. Just to build hype. So basically, this scene is not going to happen.

Unfortunately, I believe this scene was stated to be non-canon. Just to build hype. So basically, this scene is not going to happen.

Even if it doesn't happen, the chess game is a representation of what will happen in KHIII, so they're showing that Sora's basicaly the one who will change that dark future that Xehanort tries to build fighting the 7 Guardians of Light, showing this through that Destiny Island video which represents that Sora is chosen by Eraqus to change that future (this is my opinion).

Luxord being really close to where Xehanort's main attacking force seems to be really weird. Could it be Xemnas' piece since he did have a similar attack that looked like that in DDD. 

Also, the piece that Eraqus took actually resembles Axel's chakrams a bit. I think that was taken by the Sora piece 

The chess game scene? Of course it's going to happen. Nomura already confirmed it was the very first scene of the game and that it was going to be longer than what we saw.

Edited by PrinceNoctis

The chess game scene? Of course it's going to happen. Nomura already confirmed it was the very first scene of the game and that it was going to be longer than what we saw.

No, I'm talking about the first KH3 trailer when Sora picks up Master Eraqus' Keyblade.

Yes it will. It is even in 2.5. It is possible in, after or before the intro.

Sorry, but like I said earlier, it was stated that the trailer was just to build hype. It's not canon. It's in the 2.5 credits just to show what's next.

Edited by Master Eraqus

Yes it will. It is even in 2.5. It is possible in, after or before the intro.

Sorry, but like I said earlier, it was stated that the trailer was just to build hype. It's not canon. It's in the 2.5 credits just to show what's next.

^Exactly and it was the only KH3 footage they could put in 2.5 at the time since they had not released anything else (except the D23 gameplay).

Edited by PrinceNoctis