Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
KHWaterBlock

Alyson Stoner comments on voicing Kairi in Kingdom Hearts III: "This was the most fun out of all of them...You'll see why!"

2 hours ago, Scsigs said:

I was perfectly calm. YOU were the one who wasn't. Don't turn that back on me, dude. Read your original post back to yourself. I know that you're entitled to your opinion. However, swearing, even censored, at the fact that something's happening that you don't like isn't really indicative of someone whose opinions are really made to be reasonable. If you react like that with, & I quote, "That's bullsh*t" (which, nice editing your original statement to come off with a different tone after I told you to calm down, but a little too late), then proceed to say Panettiere is the real Kairi & this news is, "the worst casting news", I think my response is justified.

And? Disney doesn't really have any obligation to call her back in. Neither does Square. They just needed a suitable actress to play her, which Stoner is. Square DOES have a tendency to get as many original actors & actresses back as possible & even cast based on factors like certain ones having dub actors in anime in the West (like how they wanted Chris Sabat to play Garland in some of the FF spin-offs because he played the same character the Japanese actor did in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood; Major Alex Louis Armstrong), but they don't always do that. Alyson's a good actress anyways.  You said it's not a deal-breaker, so what's the problem? Should the have gotten Panettiere back? Maybe? Should anyone lose sleep over her not being called in? No.

And, they didn't just replace her out of the blue. They replaced her a LONG time ago. First with Re:Chain of Memories, then 358/2 Days, then 0.2, now this game. Adding up all of the places where both actresses have voiced Kairi or Xion, Stoner's got her beat on the Kairi front, since, like I said, Panettiere las voiced Kairi in 2009/10 for BBS & even then, Ariel Winter had more lines than her as young Kairi in that game. This decision isn't one they made cold-heartedly, nor one out of spite. They probably just thought Stoner was the more logical choice for the game, since she has a more close working relationship with them & Disney. By the way, she's not a bad actress either. If you consider her bad in these games, blame the voice direction, which is often hit-or-miss.

As you said, though, you're done with this. I'm just clarifying my points.

Lol Calm down man. And yes Disney replace her. If Disney didn't call her to play Kairi in Kingdom Hearts 3 than that means they replace her. Simple as that.

Edited by Movies798

I bet Sora and her really get an emotional scene together in KH 3.  Remember that shot of just the two of them on Destiny Islands.  I'm betting thats at the end of the game after they saved the world, they look back on their relationship and finally have their Disney prince and princess ending.  She likely has more scenes then usual which is why it was more fun.   

7 hours ago, Movies798 said:

Lol Calm down man. And yes Disney replace her. If Disney didn't call her to play Kairi in Kingdom Hearts 3 than that means they replace her. Simple as that.

As I said already, I was calm. Just because a response is long doesn't mean that I'm not calm.

19 hours ago, Scsigs said:

Ok, calm right the hell down, dude. This isn't the end of the world. This isn't gonna stop you from buying the game, is it? No? Then calm it down. It's not a major selling point, so calm it down.

Realistically, her appearance in DDD was a cameo at best, considering Xion didn't appear much in that game. Literally her last appearance as Kairi was KHBBS, which was also a cameo, since Ariel Winter voiced her more in that game than she did.

YOU need to calm down too & stop worrying about things that make no sense to worry about.
First of all, blindsiding & disrespecting her? She hasn't voiced Kairi in 8 years. Frankly, I'm surprised people are surprised that Stoner's their now-defacto VA for Kairi in KH. It's not being disrespectful or blindsiding when they haven't had her do anything for them in even 6 years when she voiced Xion in a cameo for no reason in DDD. I'm surprised they even got her back for that.
Second, they got David Gallagher back as Riku & Jesse McCartney back as Roxas & Ventus. Just because they aren't confirmed doesn't mean they're not in it. Hell, I have an entire thread dedicated to predicting the VAs in this game & I've been 95% accurate thus far & the 5% was only from me underestimating who they were gonna get from Big Hero 6, Toy Story, & Pirates of the Caribbean. If they didn't record when some of the trailers came out months ago, they're definitely recording now. Not bringing them back, since their voices are pretty distinct (hell, Jesse uses his regular voice for the role, which would be pretty hard to imitate) would be just bad. These guys were even more recently brought back for 1.5, 2.5 & 2.8 (for Gallagher), so if you seriously think they wouldn't bring them back, you're stupid.
And before anyone says so, I know Stoner & Panettiere's Kairi voices are somewhat distinct, but it's not enough to where it makes the difference  like a male voice or another female voice in the series would be.

First off I'm calm, I was calm when I gave my opinion key word being MY opinion? So I would thank you not to patronize me. Second Hayden Panettiere has voiced Kairi in almost EVERY appearance she's had in the series minus Chain of memories and the more recent 0.2 appearances. They very well could and should have asked her back in my opinion. Alyson is an amazing actress and her Kairi voice is very similar to Haydens portrayal but for me and loads of other like minded fans she is NOT our Kairi. Oh and by the way there are ways to get your point across without being derogatory, If they would recast Kairi why in the world wouldn't I be concerned about Riku and Roxas being recasted? It definitely could happen and it doesn't make myself or anyone else for that matter "stupid" for seeing that possibility. You need to calm down and stop trying to police our opinions.

Edited by itsDON

On 11/26/2018 at 2:00 PM, Merilly said:

While I don't follow news about stars and idols, I did hear that Hayden Panettiere had quite the amount of personal problems to deal with and I think SE/Disney don't want to switch back and forth between VAs to adjust to that, even if her situation is stable now. I think they are operating on some sort of "if you can't do it anymore it's fine, but don't expect to be the first to be asked to reprise the role since we had to resort to someone else" basis.

Personally, I can understand that practice. It might not seem fair and personal problems naturally always come first, but Disney and SE have to choose them from a business standpoint and she's probably not regarded as reliable anymore, apart from the fact that they'd probably like to have a consistent VA. It is not disrespectful but simply how companies need to operate. They couldn't wait for her to get better and now they aren't obligated to ask her first when she's been out of the picture for quite some time.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the others. Just because they're not confirmed doesn't really mean much since there's currently little reason to believe the characters have been recast. Of course it's not completely out of the question, but I don't see any circumstance surrounding them to prevent their involvement.

That's probably the truest statement I've seen so far regarding VAs. A lot of people cling to them because of nostalgia or because it's subjectively better but at times, there's no choice to replace them and as long as the voice work is decent, I'm content.

For example, few voices can compare to Leonard Nimoy but as long as the new one manages to capture the character, it's okay because there's little we can do. People die, have other commitments or simply can't make it due to personal reasons. 

Of course I'd be sad if some voices would be replaced, but there's little point in trying to push one person into the role as if they own it even though they didn't voice that character in years. I'm not diminishing Hayden's work or the opinion of others here but what's worse than replacing a VA is jumping back and forth between them.

Disney and SE couldn't delay the games just because one VA couldn't make it. And some need to stop acting like she has a right to voice Kairi again just because she's available again. That's not how it works. She forfeited that when she couldn't voice her. I'm sympathetic toward personal problems in particular, but a VA is not important enough to postpone the release of games and just allow her to return when it's suitable for her. They moved on, and so should the fans.

As you said, it's okay to prefer one over the other and be sad if one had to be replaced, but to some even the best replacement wouldn't be suitable because there's apparently only one real VA for that character. And I see no reason to let the game experience be lowered by something which cannot be changed.

Give others a chance. For example, I like Ansem the Wise's new VA a lot better in terms of intonation and how feelings are delivered.

I hope you're right about David and Jesse, Yes I remember Hayden was being treated for PPD back in 2017 so I was okay Alyson voicing her in 0.2 scenes. I just really hate that she wasn't asked, like the very least they could've done was ask.... She voiced the character in Two main numbered titles but they couldn't ask? In my opinion that was disrespectful.

43 minutes ago, itsDON said:

I hope you're right about David and Jesse, Yes I remember Hayden was being treated for PPD back in 2017 so I was okay Alyson voicing her in 0.2 scenes. I just really hate that she wasn't asked, like the very least they could've done was ask.... She voiced the character in Two main numbered titles but they couldn't ask? In my opinion that was disrespectful.

But she hasn't voiced her for years. Asking her first, someone who had to abandon the role, would be a slap in the face for the person who has been recast. It's not disrespectful because she doesn't own the character and frankly, Disney/SE can't wait for people to get better if said person is suffering from a condition where no one knows how long it will take and what kind of effect it will have on her performance. 

It may sound cruel but for them, a recast is very likely final. I think it would be disrespectful to Stoner to move back and forth just because Hayden Panettiere is better again. After all, they had to cast her with the intention of becoming the new permanent voice for Kairi and not as a temporary stand-in because Panettiere's condition is one of those where you don't know how long it takes to get back on track. They may even have a contract with Stoner based on that.

I have a lot of sympathy for her situation and her condition. It's not like she could do something against it very quickly, but it's not disrespectful for a company to decide on someone else and ask that person again who is available and did not just get back on her feet.

Let's put it differently. Imagine you're working for a company. One of your colleagues gets sick with no set date when they can return and you get handed the project they've been working on because they can't wait for their return. Now you're working for it, may have even done something for the next step and suddenly, your co-worker is better and gets offered the project again, even though they haven't worked on it for years, completely disregarding you. Wouldn't you think that's disrespectful to you as well?

I think it's okay if you prefer Hayden over Stoner, but it's really not disrespectful to go to Stoner first instead of Panettiere, considering she's been out of the picture for years. 2017 wasn't so long ago as well and by that time, I think the main cast was already decided on. It doesn't matter that she's been part of the games and no one is diminishing her work for them either, but they had to move on. It has nothing to do with disrespect but rather being respectful of Stoner who had jumped in when Hayden couldn't.

Edited by Merilly

Almost afraid to include a opinion here, lol, didn't think the American audience cared so much about the VA , when American actors are known more for the visual representation of a character rather than the audio one. That being said, imagine this thread if it were instead Osment being replaced by a another actor. The entire community would blow like a volcano. But like any other medium in entertainment, things change and the passage of time is something that no one can avoid. Trust me as a American Football fan(well a sports fan in general), I know the singular importance a person can have on a franchise, in one form or another, but it's better to embrace what comes next then cling to what was before, I think.

13 minutes ago, Merilly said:

But she hasn't voiced her for years. Asking her first, someone who had to abandon the role, would be a slap in the face for the person who has been recast. It's not disrespectful because she doesn't own the character and frankly, Disney/SE can't wait for people to get better if said person is suffering from a condition where no one knows how long it will take and what kind of effect it will have on her performance. 

It may sound cruel but for them, a recast is very likely final. I think it would be disrespectful to Stoner to move back and forth just because Hayden Panettiere is better again. After all, they had to cast her with the intention of becoming the new permanent voice for Kairi and not as a temporary stand-in because Panettiere's condition is one of those where you don't know how long it takes to get back on track. They may even have a contract with Stoner based on that.

I have a lot of sympathy for her situation and her condition. It's not like she could do something against it very quickly, but it's not disrespectful for a company to decide on someone else and ask that person again who is available and did not just get back on her feet.

Let's put it differently. Imagine you're working for a company. One of your colleagues gets sick with no set date when they can return and you get handed the project they've been working on because they can't wait for their return. Now you're working for it, may have even done something for the next step and suddenly, your co-worker is better and gets offered the project again, even though they haven't worked on it for years, completely disregarding you. Wouldn't you think that's disrespectful to you as well?

I think it's okay if you prefer Hayden over Stoner, but it's really not disrespectful to go to Stoner first instead of Panettiere, considering she's been out of the picture for years. 2017 wasn't so long ago as well and by that time, I think the main cast was already decided on. It doesn't matter that she's been part of the games and no one is diminishing her work for then either, but they had to move on. It has nothing to do with disrespect but rather being respectful of Stoner who had jumped in when Hayden couldn't.

Wow... I have to give it to you, that was a solid argument and I concede. 

3 minutes ago, itsDON said:

Wow... I have to give it to you, that was a solid argument and I concede. 

Thanks, though I also understand your point of view. For example, I would have also considered it disrespectful if Stoner wasn't available and they chose someone completely new even though Hayden was back in business. I just didn't think it was in this case since Stoner was already cast as Kairi before.

And I also think it's perfectly reasonable to prefer her voice work over Alyson's. I can't argue against something which is as personal as enjoying someone's voice or not, and therefore completely legitimate. 

3 hours ago, Merilly said:

I think it's okay if you prefer Hayden over Stoner, but it's really not disrespectful to go to Stoner first instead of Panettiere, considering she's been out of the picture for years. 2017 wasn't so long ago as well and by that time, I think the main cast was already decided on. It doesn't matter that she's been part of the games and no one is diminishing her work for them either, but they had to move on. It has nothing to do with disrespect but rather being respectful of Stoner who had jumped in when Hayden couldn't.

On a similar note, I suppose it would be like bringing back Billy Zane for Ansem, which would be a bit insulting to Richard Epcar who's been voicing him most of the time. As much as I prefer Zane's portrayal, things can't stay the same (although his replacement was potentially more awkward with the whole blacklisting thing.)

15 hours ago, Novayon said:

On a similar note, I suppose it would be like bringing back Billy Zane for Ansem, which would be a bit insulting to Richard Epcar who's been voicing him most of the time. As much as I prefer Zane's portrayal, things can't stay the same (although his replacement was potentially more awkward with the whole blacklisting thing.)

Yeah, it would be. I'm not saying it's necessarily always for the better on a subjective level, but it's just how the industry works and it's understandable that they forfeit the preferencial rights to be chosen by abandoning the position as VA once. (Though 'right' isn't exactly correct since there's no law stating they own the role or are entitled to it, but rather meaning it would only be fair and respectful unless there's a good reason not to offer it.)

I think we all have certain VAs we deem better suited but for most, I'd be fine with it if they get the character across in a believable manner. One of the VAs I would have a hard time bidding goodbye to if he wouldn't be able to reprise his role was Paul St. Peter, the voice of Xemnas, since I feel it's rather characteristic, similar to how Leonard Nimoy was for Xehanort. But it's simply how it is that the latter had to be replaced and some things we just have to accept if it doesn't sound too awkward.

Edited by Merilly

On 11/26/2018 at 9:18 PM, Scsigs said:

Stoner originally voiced her in 358/2 Days, then Panettiere voiced her in DDD.

Consistency nomura.  I want stoner for kh3

On 12/6/2018 at 11:07 PM, ienzo628 said:

I am indifferent to Kairi's voice actor.  As long as Roxas's and Riku's voice actors return than I'm cool.

They have. They just haven't announced them yet for whatever reason. They wouldn't just not bring them back after having them come back for 1.5 & 2.5, plus 2.8 for David Gallagher.

Personally, I like Alyson's voice, but I did prefer Hayden. Though, I have to admit, Alyson's Kairi is growing on me! 

In a perfect world, I'd have Alyson as Xion and Hayden as Kairi. I'm hoping she can make them sound different, like Jesse does with Roxas and Ventus. It does seem to be case that she's making her Kairi voice "raspier" than her Xion? Kind of like Hayden's Kairi was. Maybe she's trying to emulate it a bit.

It's just a small thing, but I really like that about Kairi's english voice. It makes her and Sora's voices match up pretty well, and I think it helps reflect that she's a tomboy.

I hope Alyson's comment about it being the "most fun of them all" bodes well for Kairi's character in 3. I can't imagine she'd say that if Kairi wasn't doing much. 

21 hours ago, HanonPhantomhive said:

I just think Xion and Kairi might have a conversation and it will be like Alyson talking to herself xD

I mean, this is already going to happen with Sora and Vanitas, as well as probably Ventus and Roxas, so why not? xD

Edited by Kittenz

Kairi and Xion are going to do some serious seashell trading when they meet. I imagine Alyson must be having fun in the game. She'll be voicing potentially for both the light and dark sides. But yeah, characters with the same VA must interact in this game. It also helps that they all have the same face too. Or in Roxas and Ventus' case like looking in a mirror.

12 hours ago, SweetYetSalty said:

Kairi and Xion are going to do some serious seashell trading when they meet. I imagine Alyson must be having fun in the game. She'll be voicing potentially for both the light and dark sides. But yeah, characters with the same VA must interact in this game. It also helps that they all have the same face too. Or in Roxas and Ventus' case like looking in a mirror.

I like that they are able to still give them unique(As can be with the same VA) voices. Roxas and Ventus sound a little different. Ventus seems more nasaly? It seems to be the case with Xion and Kairi as well. Alyson seems to be imitating Hayden slightly when she voices Kairi. I imagine Xion will sound basically the same as in Days.