Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
DChiuch

Is this a problem (regarding 'likes')?

Is it a problem if a particular member [A] has given 2000+ likes to another particular member ?

For argument's sake, let's say each of the 2000+ likes are genuine, and that the two members are friends and share opinions. Each like is on a post where they agree. Let's also say that 40% of member B's likes come from member A, and that 70% of the likes that member A gives out go to member B.

Is this a problem, and if so, what should be done about it?

Ignore the quota and pretend that this could actually happen.

Considering the like quota, I don't see much of a problem with it. If we could just like as much or as often as we wanted then I guess I could see a problem with it.

For the sake of the discussion, pretend that the quota wasn't limiting, because they actually gave away 2000+ likes (over a period of time, say, 8 months).

For the sake of the discussion, pretend that the quota wasn't limiting, because they actually gave away 2000+ likes (over a period of time, say, 8 months).

I don't really see too much of a problem with it. I mean in the end it's their likes and they're willing to give them away to a friend then they at least like the person and what they have to say, even if they don't always 100% agree with the particular post. 

Edited by Ertyx

Why should it be a problem? In the end, it's just like how Facebook likes work. People are more than happy to do so of their own free will, so I don't really see why it should be. In the end it's really up to the people liking things. They don't have to do it. Isn't it a form of appreciation?

Tbh any couple actually doing that... are sad.

Before you start labeling it as that, perhaps you should look deeper into the reasoning? I don't think it's fair to say people are doing it because they're best friends or going out, or just getting a like for a like. I think you've just got to look deeper.

Why should it be a problem? In the end, it's just like how Facebook likes work. People are more than happy to do so of their own free will, so I don't really see why it should be. In the end it's really up to the people liking things. They don't have to do it. Isn't it a form of appreciation?

Before you start labeling it as that, perhaps you should look deeper into the reasoning? I don't think it's fair to say people are doing it because they're best friends or going out, or just getting a like for a like. I think you've just got to look deeper.

Two people who just share opinions and happen to like a number of each others status' because they agree on many subjects aren't sad, it's just a matter of similar interests.

But people who specifically set up an arrangement, for example have a conversation to exchange likes: 

"okay, I'll like all your posts til my quota's done each day long as you do it for me"

in order to raise their status are sad.  It's not like likes really mean that much to effect anyone and to go to such a level just to gain such a status is pitiful.  There's much more concerning and rewarding things one could concern themselves with.

The thing is though you can't prove if 2 people set it up to raise their status (which is conniving) or else just have a lot in common (which is okay).  That's why I said there's not much you can do about it.

Two people who just share opinions and happen to like a number of each others status' because they agree on many subjects aren't sad, it's just a matter of similar interests.

But people who specifically set up an arrangement, for example have a conversation to exchange likes: 

"okay, I'll like all your posts til my quota's done each day long as you do it for me"

in order to raise their status are sad.  It's not like likes really mean that much to effect anyone and to go to such a level just to gain such a status is pitiful.  There's much more concerning and rewarding things one could concern themselves with.

The thing is though you can't prove if 2 people set it up to raise their status (which is conniving) or else just have a lot in common (which is okay).  That's why I said there's not much you can do about it.

I don't think I've come across someone who gives a like for a like, but there are people who go and help others by liking things. I just think we need to look at why. I have liked people's posts like that a few times, but only because it made me feel good to make them happy. It made them happy and feel appreciated, and that's all that matters to me. That people are happy in the end.

I think it would only be a problem if they're intentionally arranging to like each others' posts just for the sake of getting more likes. To me that's the equivalent of making a second account for yourself and going and liking only your own posts for your primary account. (If that makes any sense at all).

But if the two people are friends and just so happen to have accumulated likes from each other over time, for whatever reason(aside from intentionally trying to gain a status boost from each other) then I don't see why it should be a problem.

I guess at the same time it would be kind of difficult to distinguish if two people who happen to be friends are giving out likes genuinely, or just as a set up. It wouldn't be right to accuse someone of this without proof, and it would be kind of difficult to get proof without getting people angry imo. 

At the end of the day though likes are a really small thing to harp over. 

I don't think it really matters that much.  I mean, I'd hate it if two people were purposefully trying to give each other 2,000 likes to be popular, but I'm guessing this is pretty rare.  If someone likes 70% of another's posts, as you mentioned, it could be that they just share the same opinion.

Translated, I don't really think it's a problem.

I may be wrong, but I'm getting some Lea/dev vibes from this topic

Honestly, I don't think it's that big of a deal. It would take 100 days of dedicated liking to get someone 2000 likes, and that person would have to have 2000 posts in the first place.

I don't think someone who doesn't deserve it would get the likes, either, because it requires a lot of work one someone's part to actually do it.

Sure it's bias, but it's not like you award cash for getting 2000 likes... do you...?

Well Just because Dev and I argue on threads together and agree a lot doesn't mean we are systematically doing it on purpose.Everybody knows we debate together and we back each up so of course we will like each others stuff. Otherwise it's just saying you aren't allowed to like your friends posts even if you agree just bc you are friends. 

Personally I think that quota is pretty good thing, I'm ready to be butchered but the truth is that it prevents that crazy like spamming.

I honestly don't care about likes, but I still do think that quota isn't any big problem (I have reached mine just twice)

Well Just because Dev and I argue on threads together and agree a lot doesn't mean we are systematically doing it on purpose.Everybody knows we debate together and we back each up so of course we will like each others stuff. Otherwise it's just saying you aren't allowed to like your friends posts even if you agree just bc you are friends. 

I mean more that dev will like your posts for no reason. Like, he'll like a post of you agreeing with someone, but not the post you agree with.

But I tried to make it clear in the second half of my post that you're clearly doing something that deserves it (I mean, you have the most likes, and in the fastest time, you can't blame a single member for that :P)

I admit it annoys me to see people doing this (and it's blatantly obvious with some people...) because I feel like this site has become a popularity contest and it's making it extremely difficult for me to actually talk to people on here, when all they spend their day doing is boosting their status. There's pretty much a select group of people on this site who are all the most popular with each-other purely because of the amount of likes they have, and most of these likes just seem to have been because they've set it up as 'like for a like'.

But at the same time, it doesn't really matter much I guess. Likes aren't the end of the world, they don't affect anything. The only thing that pisses me off about it is that. ^

I rarely come on here anymore because it just feels like everyone-else gets ignored unless they spend all their time making random topics or getting millions of likes. Awesome site still, though. Just not too fond of the community aspect. :P (don't kill me :C)

I'm going to go ahead and give my two cents on this.

Like's don't matter. They're a meaningless virtual commodity. If people want likes, let them ask for it. They most likely won't get any anyways. But it's reverse on facebook since there's no quota, people like all the shit they see. but yeah, if somebody wants to waste their likes like that, let them.

I admit it annoys me to see people doing this (and it's blatantly obvious with some people...) because I feel like this site has become a popularity contest and it's making it extremely difficult for me to actually talk to people on here, when all they spend their day doing is boosting their status. There's pretty much a select group of people on this site who are all the most popular with each-other purely because of the amount of likes they have, and most of these likes just seem to have been because they've set it up as 'like for a like'.

But at the same time, it doesn't really matter much I guess. Likes aren't the end of the world, they don't affect anything. The only thing that pisses me off about it is that. ^

I rarely come on here anymore because it just feels like everyone-else gets ignored unless they spend all their time making random topics or getting millions of likes. Awesome site still, though. Just not too fond of the community aspect. :P (don't kill me :C)

I don't think anybody on here likes someone just because of the amount of likes that they have.

I don't think anybody on here likes someone just because of the amount of likes that they have.

Wasn't implying that. Was saying that the most popular people on here are the ones who have blatantly done a 'like for a like' system. Didn't say that was the only reason.

Wasn't implying that. Was saying that the most popular people on here are the ones who have blatantly done a 'like for a like' system. Didn't say that was the only reason.

I haven't heard of anyone doing that and I am friends with a lot of people on this site.

Considering your likes aren't displayed under your avatar like posts are I don't see why it matter considering no one can see a persons likes unless they go to there profile.

Maybe we could have our likes displayed like our posts are, under our avatars?