The website Mobile01 has recently published an article containing remarks made by Kingdom Hearts series director Tetsuya Nomura during his visit at E3 2018.
Some of his main statements in the article include the following:
- An explanation of why Kingdom Hearts III has been in production for a long time, where Nomura indicated that about a year after the game begun development, they received the company's internal decision of needing to switch the game's engine. This also allowed [T/N: in this context they probably meant "forced" or "made"] the initial/previously developed contents of the game to be dropped (but not all). Another major reason was the company's internal organization and personnel changes, which also contributed to the delay of the start of the game's development; but overall there is no delay of the game's development and production.
- Fans that are new to the series can still play and understand the story of Kingdom Hearts III due to the inclusion of some key cutscenes to help better understand the premise of the story.
A recap/summary video of the story preceding Kingdom Hearts III in Japanese has been completed, and will be announced soon.
- As for Frozen, since Elsa is a considerably well-known/famous character, Nomura will be incredibly cautious/attentive with her in the game. The game will largely follow the movie's original narrative and the world will be adapted to fit the game's features.
- In the recently released Pirates of the Caribbean trailer, a plethora of newly-added movement mechanisms can be seen that the player can make use of. The Black Pearl's main function is to move around the world; however, it has only one application in the actual gameplay - its combat system. It does not really create a special transportation system for players to utilize otherwise. (T/N: As the text states that combat is the ship's only application, this may imply that the player doesn't use it to move around the world; it may be moving without the player's input.)
- While not much can be revealed at the time, there will still be many new original worlds in Kingdom Hearts III. (This was also reported by GameInformer.)
- In Kingdom Hearts III, many characters will be showing up, and Nomura wishes that the fans will look foward to it.
When asked about whether IPs such as Star Wars and The Avengers by Marvel could appear in Kingdom Hearts, Nomura said that although they both now belong to Disney, none of the characters are Disney original characters, so adding them in would be troublesome and thus unlikely.
Kingdom Hearts III releases on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on January 25, 2019 in Japan, and January 29, 2019 to the rest of the world. You can now watch the latest Frozen trailer, Square Enix E3 Showcase trailer, and Pirates of the Carribean trailer!